2017 Turkey Season Thread

7 minutes ago, whiskey said:

Yes, it's still nearly 2 months away. Who cares! I am pumped up and can't wait.

Anybody got a new shotgun this year?

Who's going to the NWTF show?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very anxious myself.  I bought a new Remington 870 SPS Super Mag Turkey Pump-Action Shotgun about 2 years ago.  Will be my 3rd season with it.  I need to get out and pattern it with a variety of Winchester Longbeard XR shotshells I purchased at the end of last season to see which works best.  Struck out last year on turkey and had a few missed shots.  Hopefully better luck this year.  I've booked a room with the block rate at Opryland Hotel for the NWTF show to take in as much as I can.  Should be good. 

• Like 1
Very anxious myself.  I bought a new Remington 870 SPS Super Mag Turkey Pump-Action Shotgun about 2 years ago.  Will be my 3rd season with it. 

You using the factory choke? The longbeards are great shells. If my mossberg didn't shoot the Hevi 7's so well, I'd be shooting longbeards.

2 minutes ago, whiskey said:

You using the factory choke? The longbeards are great shells. If my mossberg didn't shoot the Hevi 7's so well, I'd be shooting longbeards.

No, using an Indian Creek choke (standard constriction .665).  Can use all lead and hybrid heavy loads with shot sizes from #4 through #8 with the Indian Creek choke so that gives me plenty of choices to test out. 

I had been using the Hevi's but I think I'm going to go with the Long Beards this season if they pattern well with my setup. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, whiskey said:

We got a group going down on Friday to avoid the crowd. Looking for a new slate and maybe a a new vest.

Look for a booth called Tru-Tone Custom Calls (http://www.tru-tonecalls.com/) at the NWTF show.  All of their calls are water proof and I have been using their products for a few years now.  Highly recommended.  They usually work me a deal on multiple products and throw in some extras.  I lost a slate call in the field this past season and will be buying another from them this year at the show..

• Like 1
This will be my second season turkey hunting. I didn't even see one last year on my old lease. My new one is different. I saw probably 20 or more turkeys during deer season. I'm hoping to get one this year. 

Best of luck. Turkeys in the fall don't always mean turkeys come spring, but it is better than never seeing any. LOL

• Like 1
Just now, whiskey said:

Best of luck. Turkeys in the fall don't always mean turkeys come spring, but it is better than never seeing any. LOL

Yep. During muzzle loader season I sat and listened to a bunch of them right above me on a ridge. funny thing was, a plane flew over kind of low and was very loud....these crazy turkeys started gobbling and didn't stop for at least a couple of minutes. I'd heard that a loud noise would set them off, but that's the first time I'd heard it. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2017 at 4:35 PM, whiskey said:

We got a group going down on Friday to avoid the crowd. Looking for a new slate and maybe a a new vest.

Did you score one of the Alps Grand Slam Turkey Vests at the show?  Has a kickstand frame (http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/products/nwtf/hunting-vests/grand-slam)

Hunting buddy and I each bought one.   Show price was $99 and no sales tax.  Website price has $179.  My hunting buddy said this pack looks much better than the Tenzing that he paid a lot more for and is going to sell now.   Picked up a replacement turkey pot call in addition (lost a good one in the fields last season).   It's made by Tru-Tone.  Is a water proof hand turned corian pot.  Show price $40, website price $60. 

Did you score one of the Alps Grand Slam Turkey Vests at the show?  Has a kickstand frame (http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/products/nwtf/hunting-vests/grand-slam)
Hunting buddy and I each bought one.   Show price was $99 and no sales tax.  Website price has $179.  My hunting buddy said this pack looks much better than the Tenzing that he paid a lot more for and is going to sell now.   Picked up a replacement turkey pot call in addition (lost a good one in the fields last season).   It's made by Tru-Tone.  Is a water proof hand turned corian pot.  Show price $40, website price $60. 

I bought the same vest in APG last year, but it was heavier than I could tolerate. I sold it to a buddy and went back to my old one. However, it was super comfortable. If you don't mind the weight, you will enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bought a slate pot from Matt McLain, a couple strikers, mouth calls from Hooks, American Strutter and Woodhaven. I also bought one of the Tom Teaser shoulder bags to see if I can stand to go vest-less this year.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, whiskey said:

I bought the same vest in APG last year, but it was heavier than I could tolerate. I sold it to a buddy and went back to my old one. However, it was super comfortable. If you don't mind the weight, you will enjoy it.

Good to know.  I wore it around at the show and it seemed ok but I also didn't have anything in the pockets.   Looks like it weights 6 lbs. 14 oz. 

Edited by FJCrusing
  • Like 1
Good to know.  I wore it around at the show and it seemed ok but I also didn't have anything in the pockets.   Looks like it weights 6 lbs. 14 oz. 

I really wish they had made the frame aluminum to shave some weight.

It was great to just sit down in a big patch of honeysuckle and not worry about having a tree.

6 minutes ago, whiskey said:

I really wish they had made the frame aluminum to shave some weight.

It was great to just sit down in a big patch of honeysuckle and not worry about having a tree.

Looks like the Tenzing is 7lbs and 3oz.  Yeah aluminum would have been nice.  Still have my standard vest (non kickstand frame) to fall back to if needed. 

2 hours ago, Spyker1982 said:

Mossberg 835 with 20 inch barrel and a primos jellyhead choke. I also put an Ultradot Red Dot on it. Highly recommended guys!!! Check this particular brand out. Look it up--UltraDot. We gon have some turkey soup this year boys!!

9dcd5fd3072af3b1c62d9a82ba266c21.jpg

b73227c66fbbac303829f8bc494cb361.jpg

That is a sweet setup.  I have always wanted to build a dedicated turkey gun.

• 2 weeks later...