How Much Caffeine Can You Take?

gun sane

They say that there's a time and a place for everything. For decaffeinated coffee, it's never and in the trash.  <_<

But too much of a seemingly good thing can harm you, so the Caffeine Informer website has devised a calculator to advise you when you've had enough of this eye-opening drug.   Reader beware:  It's just for jollies and not meant to replace the wise counsel of your physician who is, of course, put on the earth to stop you from doing a lot of fun things. With this calculator, I'm informed that I may have 5.2 cups of brewed coffee per day or 15.6 cans of Mountain Dew before things get dangerous. 

It's natural that those who live by the internet would get their health advice from it. America might be the only country in the world where people need energy drinks to sit in front of a computer all day. 

https://www.bustle.com/p/two-college-students-nearly-overdosed-on-caffeine-so-heres-how-to-keep-your-intake-in-check-33570

Edited by gun sane

3 cups of coffee is my max according to this. I used to pound a whole pot before lunch. That was in my rougher years (outta shape, drank waaay toooo much in the spirits catagory). I get by with 2 cups, then I mostly just get tired of the taste for the day. The last 20oz energy drink I tried, I thought I was going to croak after 20 minutes. And I was still yawning. I know which brand and color can never to touch again. I'm 39 and caffeine doesn't do a whole lot anymore to my system. I could down a 20oz Mountain Dew and fall off to sleep 30 minutes later. 

3 minutes ago, MudBugjr said:

Says I have to drink 334 cups of ice tea to kill me

Since tea washes iron out of your blood, not sure which would kill you first. 

At one point I used to drink so much tea I became anemic. But that was several gallons a day. Lol

Just now, MudBugjr said:

I have quite drinking sodas for about 6 months now used to drink those by the case. Been hooked on unsweet tea. I guess its a little better for me lol

That's why I was drinking so much tea myself. I quit drinking sodas and needed something because I drink so much. Found out I should just switch to water. Lol

It being winter I'm usually good at the half gallon mark per day but with this wacky weather has me stopping at 32 oz. a day. According to the calculator I'm just over my daily at 32 ounces and WAY over at my normal. However they say it will take around 85 cups to kill me , lol, so no worries.

I can vouch that too much coffee/caffeine is a real thing.

I was once planning to pull an all nighter for a final test I was going to take the next morning. Naturally, I planned to consume as much coffee as possible in order to make it through the night. My mistake? I drank way too much way too fast. I believe I ended up drinking half a pot of coffee within an hour or so.

A couple of hours later, I began to notice a large spike in my heart rate. Bare in mind, I was sitting with absolutely no physical activity being performed. I took my heart rate and it was in the 120-130 range. I could feel my heart beating out of my chest and my whole body was numb. It was was what I would refer to as a "caffeine high."

I began to research the best ways to excrete caffeine and as it turns out, it's through your kidneys. Therefore, I consumed a lot of water and eventually started to feel better after a few trips to urinate. I must say though, it was quite the scary event. Nonetheless, I aced my test the next morning. So there's that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drink 2/3 cups of coffee when I first wake up. Then I switch the Nestles fruit Flavored bottled water and that is all I drink until I get ready for bed. I also keep a bottle of water on the night stand. I buy it at Sam's by the case and buy 5 cases a month.

I like coffee.  In fact, I like it too much because if I get started drinking it I will pound it down until the pot is empty.  The problem is that hot coffee hurts my stomach so I rarely drink it, at all.  Iced coffee, for some reason, doesn't really bother me - I don't know if there is some kind of acid in coffee that heat activates or what.  Still, to be safe even when I fix an iced coffee I usually like a little coffee with my milk and Splenda.  Mostly, though, I get my fix from soft drinks, usually Coke Zero.  I drink them all day long but try to just kind of sip them so that each one will last me a while.  Does caffeine keep me awake?  Generally speaking, only if I don't get enough of it.  Seriously.

Oh, since I usually drink the 16.9 ounce bottles of Coke Zero (because I can put the lid back on and set it aside if I want) I converted the results from the caffeine calculator to determine how many of those bottles I can have in a day.

My results were 22.4 12 ounce cans or 15.9 (might as well say 16) of the 16.9 ounce bottles.  I may sometimes hit them a little too hard but not that hard.  Heck, I'd go broke at that rate just buying Coke Zero!

Deadly, for me, would be 562.1 cans or 399.1 of the 16.9 ounce bottles.  I think I would bust a gut (again) before I got that much down.

Edited by JAB