Permit Reciprocity

ma6907

I travel quite a bit and have never really considered this, but am now thinking about getting a 2nd permit (nonresident, in addition to Tennessee) to help fill in some of the gaps that have been created by Tennessee allowing 18 year olds to get permits (when they are Military).  Can anyone guide me towards which state is the most bang for the buck and or cheapest and or easiest.  I would love to get one by mail and not have to actually travel there?  Advice?

3 minutes ago, JoeCorrado said:

I haven't looked into it a while but from what I remember Nevada or Utah have some of the best reciprocity. There may be more but those are the 2 I know of. I've looked into Utah but I have a buddy back in AL that went the Nevada route.

Utah will get you WA, Nevada will get you MN, other than that no additional states that TN permit doesn't.

Before losing these two states, there was to my knowledge no non-resident permit from any state that added anything to the TN lineup.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2
15 minutes ago, 1gewehr said:

It's my understanding that the state's which dropped reciprocity did so only for TN permit holders under 21.  For those 21 and over, there is still reciprocity.

Is this correct?

No. We lost MN and WA all together.

17 minutes ago, 1gewehr said:

It's my understanding that the state's which dropped reciprocity did so only for TN permit holders under 21.  For those 21 and over, there is still reciprocity.

Is this correct?

That's the way I read it.

1 hour ago, tnhawk said:

My VA expired last year and I didn't renew it.  My FL will expire this year unless I find a good reason to renew it.

We're keeping our FL permits simply because they are not that much to renew and we have a lot of family there. We may move back at some point or buy a 2nd home there. I'd just easier to keep it than go through the process all over again.

My bigger fear is that as laws and political climates change, that I could lose states (as occurred) by seemingly innocent laws being passed.  Not necessarily concerned about Washington St.  I do travel to Minnesota ON OCCASION but not very often.  More concerned with a backup for FUTURE law changes.  I guess my real question is, "What is the easiest, cheapest, most effective 2nd permit (as a backup) for Tennessee permit holders?"

52 minutes ago, tnhawk said:

While not the easiest, the most effective thing TN permit holders can do is to replace the RINO politicians in our government.

While I'm sure that is a good idea I fail to see how that would impact reciprocity with other states...

1 hour ago, mikegideon said:

But, it's not as big as people are making it sound, if you read the fine print from the states. I don't go to those states. If I did, I would probably live thru it without a firearm.

We lost those 2 states, what else wound the fine print say? Or are you referring to the other states that just aren't honering 18-20 year olds? 

I am not necessarily concerned about the loss of the 2 states.  I am FAR more concerned about the "what ifs".  In my mind we did not "only" lose 2 states, instead we saw the law of unintended consequences.  49 other states change their laws ALL the time.  I am concerned with what happens if some other state or states makes changes and then it is too late.  I am trying to figure out what is the path of least resistance of getting a 2nd permit as a back up ins policy for when things LIKE losing 2 states happens AGAIN.

I am NOT referring to that or any ramification of the "18-20" law itself.  I  am referring to my processes.  I have one permit.  That permit was good in nearly every place that a permit COULD be good in.  Now there has been a change.  In my mind, that makes my process and thinking flawed.  I have now determined that for me, one permit is not good enough.  I feel I need to change my process.  I am not operating in a reactionary fashion as many of you seem to be implying.  I really do not care about Minnesota or Washington.  I care that my previous mentality of having a Tennessee permit only may not meet my future needs.  I want to prepare for that possibility BEFORE something else happens (unrelated to the 18-20 year old issue) that could make my permit invalid in a state that I DO wish to visit.  Whenever I have a plan that I THINK is a valid plan, that then FAILS, I change my processes.

I have UT, up till January 1st that gave me nothing but now restores WA. Cost me around $100 for a course and paper work and I think $35 for permit that is good for 5 years. Course was 4 hours all classroom and they did the photo and fingerprints needed for application. At the time I got it I was in NY and it expanded my range a lot. My NY permit is technically void at this time. The judge that issued mine told me how I could get it converted to an out of state permit but decided it wasn't worth the bother since they were going to require all permits to be renewed in 2018 (was lifetime) and I didn't think his solution would survive their new process anyway.