357 mag compared to 9mm

Guest tlondon

Guest tlondon

I am thinking about trading my carry gun (taurus pt111 mill 9mm) for a six shot 357 snubbie as I want a revovlver due to the KISS concept (Keep It Simple Stupid). My question is: what do you guys think of the 357 round compared to the 9mm round? Thanks for the input.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest truthsayer

I hate to use the term "Stopping Power." Whatever it is, I'd be willing to bet that the .357 has more of it.

In my opinion:

Taurus Pros:

Affordable (relatively) ammo

Higher Capacity

Easier to shoot well

Quicker for most people to reload

Taurus Cons:

It has a safety

Will not be as reliable as a wheelgun

I'm going to assume that you're looking into a S&W or Ruger wheelgun. if you're not, I'd suggest it.

.357 Pros:

Dead simple manual of arms

Packs a punch on both ends with mag loads

Can be loaded with mousefart .38spl for training

About as reliable as a handgun can get

.357 Cons:

Snubbies take more training to get good with

Packs a punch on both ends with mag loads

Limited capacity

Higher ammo cost than 9mm

I am thinking about trading my carry gun (taurus pt111 mill 9mm) for a six shot 357 snubbie as I want a revovlver due to the KISS concept (Keep It Simple Stupid). My question is: what do you guys think of the 357 round compared to the 9mm round? Thanks for the input.

Well, if you read up on .357 mag, look at ballistic gel results and so on, you'll find that it's a helluva load, actually sort of a "magic round", generally performing better than the physics of powder/bulletweight/fps/etc indicate that it should.

It's the reason that .357 sig was created, an attempt to get that kind of firepower into a semi-auto. The .357 sig seems to be a helluva round too.

- OS

It's the reason that .357 sig was created, an attempt to get that kind of firepower into a semi-auto. The .357 sig seems to be a helluva round too.

That and to attract the ladeez. :)

I'm not going to get into the "stopping power" debate. I just know that a 9mm knocks a bowling pin over, and a 357 mag knocks it back :). Read into that what you want... accuracy (IMHO) is a key factor.

Also a .45 acp will knock a pin back almost three feet.

(500 Magnum with a lead nose bullet? 15 ft back, and tore my pin all to crap! LOL!!!)

The .357 Mag in a short barrel revolver has very excessive recoil.I would suggest using .38 Spl.+p ammo or better yet if you are set on a revolver just go ahead and get an Airweight S&W in .38 Spl.

Hit a bowling pin with a magnum load of 15 pellet 00 from a 28" barrel, standing about 5 feet from the pin! THAT'S knockdown power! I had to walk about 20' through th woods to find the pin. I'm guess that shot on a person that close would send most pellets through and through.

Oh... yea, 357 if you're confident in your ability to place a few critical bullets where they need to go, and 9mm if you think you might need more than 5-6 rounds real fast. That's how I look at it, anyway.

The .357 Mag in a short barrel revolver has very excessive recoil.I would suggest using .38 Spl.+p ammo or better yet if you are set on a revolver just go ahead and get an Airweight S&W.

The Airweights I have shot with .38+P (and standard) have felt like I was shooting a .357 snubby. Pretty punishing. 12 shots and teh web of my hand was red. (But That's just me.)

That and to attract the ladeez. :)

I'm not going to get into the "stopping power" debate. I just know that a 9mm knocks a bowling pin over, and a 357 mag knocks it back :D. Read into that what you want... accuracy (IMHO) is a key factor.

Also a .45 acp will knock a pin back almost three feet.

(500 Magnum with a lead nose bullet? 15 ft back, and tore my pin all to crap! LOL!!!)

That sounds like a lot of fun!! :)

Guest Astra900

I recently retired my PT145 in exchange for a Ruger SP101. I was a bit worried at first; going form 10+1 .45acp to 5 .357's, but it so much easier to carry, I personally like it better so I am more confident in carrying it, and My accuracy has with my new EDC over my old EDC has increased by an order of magnitude. I'm VERY happy with the 3" barrel .357

Stopping power....God I hate that argument. But the way I see it, my accuracy and confidence has gone up dramatically w/ my new wheel gun, Given that, 1 or 2 premium bullets of any kind launched by a .357 mag will make any BG reconsider his plans for conquest, dead or not.

In other words...The strain might be more than he can bear:):D:D

Guest eyebedam
In regards to the stopping power argument, I've found that most people don't like to be shot in the face, whether it be .22LR or .50BMG.

OHHH SNAP!!!

Guest tlondon

Thanks for all the replies. I was actually looking at a new rossi 357 (6 shot). Had one a few years ago and a good friend was looking for a good pistol and I sold (:)) it to him and have regretted it ever since. All I shot out of it was 38 spl though so I am not that familar with the 357 round I guess I will do a little more research on it.

Speaking in terms of a self defense round a person can only be killed so dead. Once the .357 was made everything else was just overkill.

And besides, everybody knows that people who carry the .357 mag have really big man parts. :) 9mm, not so much.

And besides, everybody knows that people who carry the .357 mag have really big man parts. :) 9mm, not so much.

The man does make a point... It's true. I read it on gun board on the internet once. (It even had a dancing graphic.) ;)

My question is: what do you guys think of the 357 round compared to the 9mm round? Thanks for the input.

.357 Mag is substantially superior to the 9mm for shooting dirt bags.

I am thinking about trading my carry gun (taurus pt111 mill 9mm) for a six shot 357 snubbie as I want a revovlver due to the KISS concept (Keep It Simple Stupid).

If by “Snubbie†you mean a 2 1/2†K-Frame or L-Frame; it is an excellent choice.

If you mean a 2" J-Frame; I would stick with a .38+P. The weapon can handle the magnum, but the recoil is pretty intense.

The Airweights I have shot with .38+P (and standard) have felt like I was shooting a .357 snubby. Pretty punishing. 12 shots and teh web of my hand was red. (But That's just me.)

I have the Air Lite PD in the .357,fits in the pocket and hand well but what creeky said.

Plus the trigger guard slapped my trigger finger so hard it only took me 5 rounds.I was shooting .357 ammo.

...It's the reason that .357 sig was created, an attempt to get that kind of firepower into a semi-auto. The .357 sig seems to be a helluva round too.

- OS

That and to attract the ladeez. :shrug:

I've been meaning to ask, creeky ... does it work to just carry a few .357 sig rounds in pocket, or do they actually have to be IN a firearm and shot OUT of it?

- OS