Sig P320 or New M&P M2.0

T_Brandon

Own both.  Prefer M&P in all sizes to the Sig.  Sig is a nice gun, but a little more 'squarish"  and bulky.  Better trigger and accuracy.  But is not as 'carryable'.  Both dependable.  Sig a couple of hundred dollars more.  While modular, a new configuration will run you north of $300 and you still have only one gun.  Resale, a toss-up.  I simply shoot the M&P better and it feels better.  More after market options right now but may change after the next several years.  Both are quality guns.

14 minutes ago, chances R said:

Own both.  Prefer M&P in all sizes to the Sig.  Sig is a nice gun, but a little more 'squarish"  and bulky.  Better trigger and accuracy.  But is not as 'carryable'.  Both dependable.  Sig a couple of hundred dollars more.  While modular, a new configuration will run you north of $300 and you still have only one gun.  Resale, a toss-up.  I simply shoot the M&P better and it feels better.  More after market options right now but may change after the next several years.  Both are quality guns.

I've owned both and am the opposite in preferring the Sig. I have it in .357, 9mm, and .40. Conversion would cost you that much IF you buy several, but when you buy a P320 you get a considerable discount on a conversion kit. It was more like $249 IIRC. 

What bothers me is that you cannot order the P320 with the grips that you want. I have very big hands but can only get the gun in medium. I have to pay $49 for a large grip module.

2 hours ago, chances R said:

Own both.  Prefer M&P in all sizes to the Sig.  Sig is a nice gun, but a little more 'squarish"  and bulky.  Better trigger and accuracy.  But is not as 'carryable'.

Well, depends on which P320 config you choose, full size, compact, carry, or subcompact.

2 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

... but when you buy a P320 you get a considerable discount on a conversion kit. It was more like $249 IIRC.

More like $350 best price, but try to find one right now, except from SIG, where they are $407.

Just got a P320 full size in my hands yesterday, haven't even shot it yet. Mainly got it because it's our new Army sidearm and wanted an example, and figgered it won't get any cheaper for some time. Base model without night sights $499 from Buds (+ transfer/TICS, $519 in hand), a lot cheaper than a new Beretta 92FS/M1.

No doubt it's a purt durn slick heater, really do initially like it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

The Sig still has its traditional high bore axis even though its striker fired and doesn't need to be. The M&P 1.0 had several issues that popped up over its lifespan. To my knowledge, the 2.0 has corrected all of them. It still benefits from an aftermarket trigger like anything else. But once that is done, I don't think another polymer striker 9 can beat it.

Sig won the contract because of the perceived need of modularity, which I think is highly over exaggerated, and the fact that Sig is one of the best companies at securing government contracts.

Well father-in-law has the carry which I shot quite a bit before buying full size.  Carry is still larger in feel than my preferred shield, and even the M&P compact.  I shot several IDPA matches with the full size 320 and in my hands again the M&P 5" pro is still the winner.  But then again I have shot several thousand rounds out of the M&P platform.  I was going to sell the Sig, but as OS has said they may become a little scarce so I may just hang on to it.  OTOH is is still a super nice shooting gun, I was just laying it out for the OP on my experience, YMMV.

Edited by chances R
31 minutes ago, chances R said:

Well father-in-law has the carry which I shot quite a bit before buying full size.  Carry is still larger in feel than my preferred shield, and even the M&P compact.

The 320 carry is actually a bit larger than the compact (grip length, carry holds more rounds), which isn't an intuitive naming convention. And both are of course larger than the subcompact.

If you're going to compare to the Shield, a more apples to apples comparison is the 320 subcompact -- essentially same dimensions cept for thicker grip for double stack mag, 12 rounds instead of the Shield's 7.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Well, depends on which P320 config you choose, full size, compact, carry, or subcompact.

More like $350 best price, but try to find one right now, except from SIG, where they are $407.

Just got a P320 full size in my hands yesterday, haven't even shot it yet. Mainly got it because it's our new Army sidearm and wanted an example, and figgered it won't get any cheaper for some time. Base model without night sights $499 from Buds (+ transfer/TICS, $519 in hand), a lot cheaper than a new Beretta 92FS/M1.

No doubt it's a purt durn slick heater, really do initially like it.

- OS

$379 or $407 depending on the size, but you also get 20% DOL off your first accessory order when you've bought a P320 making it $303.20 or $325.60. I bought a bunch of stuff with that order which is why I was off by $54.

Edited by SWJewellTN
Typo
  • Like 1

I have 2 320 compacts. I couldn't be happier with them. They have been totally reliable. 

Much is made of the high bore axis, but I don't see it as a noticeable problem, maybe shooting guns side by side someone could tell maybe not...

It is a bit square in the slide but it doesn't bother me, skinnier guys might notice it. Carry position may make it feel bigger to some too.

I like that there is no need to pull the trigger for take down. Probably one of the safest pistols around to disassemble. 

For what it sort I also carry a shield when it makes sense to fit how I'm dressed, but it's the P320 90% of the time.

Found time for a quick shoot of my 320 full size today, nothing fancy just quick session of 85 rounds at tin cans, 10-25 yards. As expected, flawless, more accurate than me (can say the same for about every heater made :) ), but seriously, with the long sight radius I looked good enough. Only shot FMJ range stuff, but plenty enough folks have put these through the paces to know it'll eat essentially anything.

Trigger quite okay, short takeup, tiny bit of creep to a decent break, and short reset bout same as Glock. Came with default medium grip frame, which is just fine for me. Great purchase on the grip, a custom "stippling" straight from SIG. :)

Cleaning lower is pretty nifty what with the removable gut, just pull it out, spritz with brake cleaner, touch of CLP on the moving surfaces, pop it back in.

Might eventually get a subcompact kit for it, just because.

All in all, I'm sure it'll be fine as armed services issue. Striker fired just makes sense over double/single action. So much simpler, same trigger pull each time, no decocker to engage (or forget to), all that. Pull the trigger it go boom until it's empty. Sorry they're even putting a manual safety on them for the military, but whatever, still simpler than a combo decocker/safety with double/single action pulls. Also bout 5.5 oz. lighter than the Beretta, both weighed with empty mags inserted.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Do you prefer single action or double action?  The Sig is single and the Smith is double.  I like the Sig grip better. However, I'd be really careful holstering the Sig. The trigger is very nice. I could see it being potentially dangerous if something got caught.  

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, zybysco said:

Do you prefer single action or double action?  The Sig is single and the Smith is double.  I like the Sig grip better. However, I'd be really careful holstering the Sig. The trigger is very nice. I could see it being potentially dangerous if something got caught.  

Not true at all; both guns are striker fired which is different from either single action or double action.

• Single Action = Hammer must be cocked manually or is cocked by the action of the slide reciprocating.  As in a 1911.
  • Double Action = Hammer is cocked and released by the full cycle of the trigger.  As in a Sig P229 DA.
  • Striker Fired = The striker may be partially cocked or fully cocked by the action of the slide, and is then released or the cycle completed and released by the trigger.

The difference between the Sig P320 and the M&P is that the M&P has a trigger safety, much like a Glock.  The Sig P320 does not.

I know that for LE there is a trigger safety available, I'm not sure if it available for civilians.

I'm not worried about it. I would think that the biggest risk is getting a shirt or something caught when re-holstering. I'm very cautious when re-holstering anyway. No need to rush...

1 hour ago, TGO David said:

Not true at all; both guns are striker fired which is different from either single action or double action.

• Single Action = Hammer must be cocked manually or is cocked by the action of the slide reciprocating.  As in a 1911.
  • Double Action = Hammer is cocked and released by the full cycle of the trigger.  As in a Sig P229 DA.
  • Striker Fired = The striker may be partially cocked or fully cocked by the action of the slide, and is then released or the cycle completed and released by the trigger.

The difference between the Sig P320 and the M&P is that the M&P has a trigger safety, much like a Glock.  The Sig P320 does not.

Single action means the trigger performs one action, releasing the action.  As in a single action revolver,  1911, Hi Power, Sig p320, or Springfield XD.

Double action means the trigger performs two actions, cocking and releasing.  As in concealed hammer revolvers. Or Glock. 

Then you have striker fired vs hammer fired. I think those are even more self evident.   

I guess one could specify single action striker fired vs double action striker fired. That way you specify both the trigger and firing mechanisms.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, zybysco said:

Single action means the trigger performs one action, releasing the action.  As in a single action revolver,  1911, Hi Power, Sig p320, or Springfield XD.

Double action means the trigger performs two actions, cocking and releasing.  As in concealed hammer revolvers. Or Glock. 

Then you have striker fired vs hammer fired. I think those are even more self evident.   

I guess one could specify single action striker fired vs double action striker fired. That way you specify both the trigger and firing mechanisms.

Disagree with Glocks or any other striker-fired handgun being considered double-action.  Lazy gun magazine scribes tried to force striker-fired handguns to fit into that box an finally gave up and resorted to calling them Striker Fired to distinguish them from SA and DA handguns.  I understand where you are coming from, but it was messy back in the day when the industry tried calling them that and thankfully most folks moved past it.

Then of course there are the companies that tried using the term "Safe Action" and just confused it further.

Striker-fired actions are a variation on Double Action Only if you choose to look at it that way, but they lack two of the resets that are hallmarks of DAO.

But hey, look at the bright side:  We can add this to the things that folks can debate ad-nauseum, like:

• 1911 vs Glock
  • 1911 vs Anything
  • Glock vs Anything
  • 9mm vs 45ACP
  • Toilet Paper: Over or Under

:)

• Like 3
1 minute ago, TGO David said:

Disagree with Glocks or any other striker-fired handgun being considered double-action.  Lazy gun magazine scribes tried to force striker-fired handguns to fit into that box an finally gave up and resorted to calling them Striker Fired to distinguish them from SA and DA handguns.  I understand where you are coming from, but it was messy back in the day when the industry tried calling them that and thankfully most folks moved past it.

Then of course there are the companies that tried using the term "Safe Action" and just confused it further.

Striker-fired actions are a variation on Double Action Only if you choose to look at it that way, but they lack two of the resets that are hallmarks of DAO.

But hey, look at the bright side:  We can add this to the things that folks can debate ad-nauseum, like:

• 1911 vs Glock
  • 1911 vs Anything
  • Glock vs Anything
  • 9mm vs 45ACP
  • Toilet Paper: Over or Under

:)

You are wrong about one thing. There is no debate on toilet paper...over is the proper and gentlemanly way. 

6 hours ago, TGO David said:

Disagree with Glocks or any other striker-fired handgun being considered double-action

I consider the Walther P99 a double action striker-fired handgun, as does Walther in the specs.  It may not have a hammer, but it can be decocked, and the trigger pull weight and length are cut in half when it's in single action.

6 hours ago, TGO David said:

Toilet Paper: Over or Under

5 hours ago, gun sane said:

Why don't they just put it in the installation instructions on the wrapper and be done with it?

The patent paperwork clearly shows it's supposed to be over. :P

CARIEZcVEAAcyYy.jpg

• Like 1

would you guys fill me in on upgrading the p320, I just picked up the subcompact and am thinking about the future options, I have ordered a rubber boot so that I can use the longer magazine in the subcompact.  But would like to know about the factory upgrade options.

Thanks

Ron

1 minute ago, Ron Padilla said:

would you guys fill me in on upgrading the p320, I just picked up the subcompact and am thinking about the future options, I have ordered a rubber boot so that I can use the longer magazine in the subcompact.  But would like to know about the factory upgrade options.

Thanks

Ron

I handgun, being modular, has the serial number on the trigger module which can be easily removed by rotating the take down level downwards, removing the slide, and then pushing out the take down lever out. The trigger module then pulls out. You order the larger slide, barrel, frame, and magazines in the size for compact, carry, or full, and put the trigger module in the new frame in the reverse order.

Personally, I like the "carry" size as it offers a shorter/lighter barrel and slide than the "full" size, but takes the full size magazines. What started as a compact .40 is now a carry sized .357 Sig.