Buying a used car out of state???

Tobashadow

There is a Used Explorer Sport Trac I have my eye to buy but it is in NC on a car lot. This will be a cash deal but is there anything special I need to know since I have never bought a car out of state before.

Edited by Tobashadow

I bought a new truck in AL. They charged TN tax and sent the title info in for me. I received a call from the title office in a week to come get my tags. Used might be different though.
As has already been mentioned if you are charged tax then that amount will be reduced from what you owe TN when you register the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Find out which state has lower tax. If it's NC, find out if there's a tax reciprocity agreement. They can fill out paperwork that says you paid the tax there. I did that when I bought a used car in Michigan and it saved me a couple hundred bucks. 

The bill of sale will/should indicate any state sales tax paid (if purchased from a licensed dealer), make sure it does, and the local county clerk should give you credit for that tax paid in another state.  They don't like to, but they should. 

Call your local county clerk and get verification of how they handle it.  I bought a Sport Trac and a Mazda 3 from 2 different dealers in Greenville SC, got credit for the SC tax I paid there (both dealers claimed they had to collect sales tax per SC laws) and local clerk gave credit.  I had to argue with them on one as I had called and verified the credit process, and had the name of the person and date I talked to the local clerks office, they finally gave in.  LOL.

On February 2, 2017 at 6:06 PM, macville said:

Still not sure how it's not double taxation since tax has already been paid on new cars...

Because government makes the rules and they don't care what you think.  Kinda like HK in that regard.