New Henry Single Shot Rifles

jonnnyboy

I've always been enamored of single shot guns.  Just something about their simplicity catches my attention and I enjoy taking my time in the shooting of them.  It's very hard to "spray and pray" with a single shot.  With the conclusion of H&R, I've been watching CVA on Bud's closely for a 44 magnum rifle.  I really like that stainless and camoed stock 44 they are carrying.  Now, within the last couple of days there arises a newcomer!

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/

Hhmmmmm!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

The problem with Henry is that this single shot is over $400. To me that is way too much for even a nice new single shot gun.

If CVA is their big competition, then they beat Henry by 50%

Have you priced a Ruger #1 lately? When I was messing with them back in the late '70's and early '80's I thought they were pretty darned expensive as well. So as to the Henry's, if the quality and accuracy are good then the listed prices are actually pretty reasonable. But as gun fanciers we do get to have our own opinions on products and prices.

5 minutes ago, TNWNGR said:

Have you priced a Ruger #1 lately? When I was messing with them back in the late '70's and early '80's I thought they were pretty darned expensive as well. So as to the Henry's, if the quality and accuracy are good then the listed prices are actually pretty reasonable. But as gun fanciers we do get to have our own opinions on products and prices.

No I had not. Actually I had never seen one. It looks like the way they load sets them apart. They look nice, but as small as my budget is, I have to look at good guns not top shelf niche models. I am glad you guys have the cash to lay out for some of these. Hopefully some day I will. Right now, when I buy, it is to vary the depth of my stock more than for a specific gun. I am covering the basics you guys probably already have in hand. 

My mention on the Henry gun is an overall impression I have of Henry. They are nice guns, but all their models are expensive. Just my opinion. Like the old saying goes....it is worth about as much as teats on a boar.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, RED333 said:

Yeah and firing a 45/70 hunting round out of a Handy Rifle will really get your attention to. I shot quite a lot of 45/70 rounds through a Ruger #1 and a Browning 1885 Hi Wall Single Shot rifle that was actually Made in Japan. Neither of them got your attention as much as an H&R Handy Rifle in 45/70 did. I'm curious to see if the Henry Rifle will be more like the Ruger in ergonomics.

I’m curious why Henry would start making single shot rifles. I just don’t see the attraction. I don’t believe its accuracy. But I don’t hunt, is there some kind of hunting regulation/scenario where a single shot would be an advantage over a bolt? School me.

7 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I’m curious why Henry would start making single shot rifles. I just don’t see the attraction. I don’t believe its accuracy. But I don’t hunt, is there some kind of hunting regulation/scenario where a single shot would be an advantage over a bolt? School me.

There are a few areas (other states) where they have "primitive firearm season" instead of muzzleloader season. I believe those allow a single shot firing a cartridge made before 1900 or was originally black powder.

For most though it's like the difference between a single action revolver and a double action, some just prefer the feel and nostalgia. Some, myself included, when hunting non dangerous game for sport, feel a single shot rifle is more sporting than a repeater.

Just different strokes for different folks.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

This does not address the Henry single-shot but does discuss why the Handi-Rifle is no longer made.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/outdoorsreport/2015/07/21/handi-rifle-officially-dead/30479745/

• Like 1

In today's market, I believe the single shot rifle is a "niche" gun.  The prevalence of bolt, semi-autos (both military style and civi-style) and even pump rifles all outweigh the firepower of a single shot rifle.  Yet, I like them.  They force me to enjoy the whole experience of shooting and not just the thrill of pulling the trigger and hearing "bang" like the semi-autos do!

When I shoot my single shot rifles, I take much more time preparing the shot and then following through.  For me, it is a natural partner to my handloading endeavors.  I took a friend who is just beginning to shoot to the range today and let them shoot my H&R Handi in 357.  A whole handful of 38's took almost 30 minutes to shoot and we spent more time smiling than shooting because of the tinny plink sound that slow bullet made on the steel out at 110 yards.  It's a whole different kind of fun shooting those bullets just one at a time.

Thinking back over the last few years, I would have been just as adept at hunting with a single shot rifle as with my bolts.  Each of the last 6 or 7 deer were one shot drops, something that a single shot could have accomplished.  Still, I grab that bolt .308 as if my life depends on it!!!  LOL!

Anyway, I just like 'em and I'm glad there's another manufacturer to fill H&R's vacuum.  Now if only Henry would make a single shot rifle in 357 and price it competitively with CVA, I would be a happy boy.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Single shot, hmmmmm

I began with single-shot .22lr as a kid, bought my first one at Sears and carried it home on my bicycle, in my paper route bag. [no weird regulations at that time]

Bought my first Thompson Contender in 1968, and have had one (multiples) ever since.

Whether it is (was) nostalgia or not, the Contender was designed for hunting accuracy in a handgun, and has proven to me to be so.

I have stocks (fixed, thumbhole, and telescopic) and rifle barrels, along with many pistol barrels. It reloads pretty fast, and my brass never touches the ground.

I really enjoy having all the caliber options......although barrels these days cost almost as much as a new gun, even more if you get carried away ordering.

It's versatile, accurate, dependable, and it's a lot of fun. It has also been a great trainer for the kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids.

Light to heavy loads, short to long barrels, it has fit right in around here for 50yrs.

This (funkified) one lives in my desk cubby.......357mag

TC-and-PC.jpg

I would also like to see some new falling block guns back in the market. Even if it had to be an import like Taurus keeping Winchesters 1890 alive at a non Italian repro price. Personally I would revamp the old Iver Johnson line.

Here I remade this 922 by machining threads into the receiver and then screwing in a old octagon barrel that was sleeved with a 17HMR chamber. The original straight butt stock was converted to the Savage 1903 pistol grip unit.

P1010997_zps47842da8.jpg

P1010998_zpsb6f92994.jpg

At 25 yards

P1020005_zps28ec81f3.jpg

All these I.J.'s have auto eject and rebounding hammers like the H&R's   This is a 38 shot gun I recently acquired that I plane on sleeving the original rusty bore with a SS bll in 22 hornet. Only this need an extractor made from scratch and the firing pin will need to be bushing-ed down to smaller ID.

001_zpsjzgpqkit.jpg

Great designs that SHOULD be reborn with modern materials. Break opens........ not so much.

Edited by xtriggerman
  • Like 2