Veterans respond to Starbucks criticisms re: refugees

• Moderators

“We respect honest debate and the freedom of expression. Many of us served to protect that very right. Some of our brothers and sisters died protecting it,” the members of the Starbucks Armed Forces Network wrote in its message. “But to those who would suggest Starbucks is not committed to hiring veterans, we are here to say: check your facts, Starbucks is already there."

Starbucks has hired 8,800 U.S. veterans and military spouses already as part of its pledge, in 2013, to hire 10,000 total by 2018, the company said.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/retail/veterans-at-starbucks-respond-to-call-for-boycott-over-hiring-refugees/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EBB+2.3.17&utm_term=Editorial+-+Early+Bird+Brief

It looks to me that more than a few "angry facebook veterans" used this as a controversy to further their own agendas, or maybe just sell some more of their own product.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Omega said:

What it says to me is that Starbucks considers Veterans on par with foreign refugees, as they are pledging to hire the same number of them as veterans.  

Maybe. What is says to me is that Starbucks is committed to helping those that they feel need it. There is no doubt that most refugees entering the US are going to need help.

I'd much rather see a refugee working at Starbucks than sitting at home collecting a check from the taxpayers.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Maybe. What is says to me is that Starbucks is committed to helping those that they feel need it. There is no doubt that most refugees entering the US are going to need help.

I'd much rather see a refugee working at Starbucks than sitting at home collecting a check from the taxpayers.

I would rather they work too, but after they are fully vetted.  And the way those governments are, that may never be.

• Admin Team

Starbucks deserves props here. And, I say that as someone who has seen them hire individual veterans that I've known in transition, and ones I've been privilleged to meet through programs like Room In The Inn.

There will always be mental health issues that will contribute to homelessness issues.  But, if every big company had the commitment to hiring veterans that Starbucks has, we'd have a much smaller problem than we currently have. 

Your care for one group doesn't have to exclude another one.  

• Like 9

I have the utmost respect for what Starbucks is doing to help our Vets for sure. As for hiring an equal amount of refugees, with what Trump is doing to block the refugees coming into the country until they are totally vetted, that will probably slow down the numbers Starbucks will be hiring any time soon. Like many have said which I do agree, I would much rather see the Refugees working and paying taxes and becoming a part of what is right with the community rather than sitting home collecting tax money being paid by the working people of this great country...........jmho 

• Like 1

Respect, meh; they are doing it for publicity otherwise they would just do it and be quiet about it.  IMO they are very left leaning and only "support" veterans because it helps their bottom line.  Besides, if I were running a business I would rather hire veterans who were honorably discharged because at the very least they have learned how to be on time and meet guidelines.  So if you get that kind of worker and can get some public props for doing it, well win-win. 

And before someone says it, I do understand that there are some vets I wouldn't trust to make my coffee, but there are fewer of them than there are school aged ones in the same boat.

• Like 2
  • Admin Team

We can second guess motivations all afternoon long.  I hate it when people second guess mine, so I guess I try to give others the same courtesy.

But, it still stands that if we had other businesses with a storefront on practically every corner in America making an effort to hire veterans - for whatever the reason - we'd have a much smaller problem.

I'm not waving their flag because I love the company or their coffee (even though that sausage sandwich is pretty good when you're on the road), but because their actions and communications back up their trying to do the right thing:

https://www.starbucks.com/careers/veterans

Call Operation Stand Down here in Nashville - they're also a great organization to get involved with.  They'll tell you about pointing their vets to places like Starbucks as they work on things like housing, medical needs, etc.  They've got schooling benefits, too which ought to let you defer using GI Bill education benefits.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Omega said:

Maybe not, but make no mistake, you are not welcome there while carrying. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/09/18/starbucks-coffee-guns-ceo-schultz/2829937/

And from that article 

Schultz said: "The presence of a weapon in our stores is unsettling and upsetting for many of our customers."

Not a concern for me as I don't open carry.  If anyone has noticed yet, they sure as heck haven't said anything.... 

11 hours ago, NextExit said:

And from that article 

Not a concern for me as I don't open carry.  If anyone has noticed yet, they sure as heck haven't said anything.... 

Agreed.  Concealed is concealed.  Be respectful and quiet, drink your coffee, and move on.  No problems created or encountered.

While Starbucks has apparently hired a good number of veterans, I still can't help believing that the announcement about hiring refugees was a political statement in response to the Trump administration's recent policy changes on immigration and refugees. Therefore, I'd rather support companies that stay out of politics as best they can since to do otherwise has the potential to alienate approximately half of your customer base depending on which side of a political issue that you stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, LCPfraTN said:

While Starbucks has apparently hired a good number of veterans, I still can't help believing that the announcement about hiring refugees was a political statement in response to the Trump administration's recent policy changes on immigration and refugees. Therefore, I'd rather support companies that stay out of politics as best they can since to do otherwise has the potential to alienate approximately half of your customer base depending on which side of a political issue that you stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sure it was a calculated risk,  their customer base is mostly left leaning so how much business are they really losing?  While I get a chai tea every now and then, I'm sure they won't miss me.

• 1 month later...
Starbucks has nothing I want....just overpriced burnt coffee......I'll support these guys......http://www.blackriflecoffee.com.........just my .02

So for Christmas in a gift exchange I received a BRCC gift certificate. I don't typically drink coffee, mainly from horrible experiences grabbing coffee when I absolutely require caffeine in the hospital in the wee hours of the morning. Anyway, after seeing it mentioned here I decided to order some to try rather than re-gift it to a coffee loving friend. BEST DECISION EVER. I've loved them, fear not though, I'm not one to try one or two samples and recommend an entire brand. I've liked 4 of 5 that I've tried so far and can heartily recommend all I've tried thus far.

221b7cd66b9ddb547f1e2fc70802fd64.jpg
  • Like 3

I have had starbucks a few times and they have nothing I can't get elsewhere for at least half the cost. I am into coffee, black, hot, that's it. I can get that at any convience store. 

I will however state that I love my keurig. I do pay more for the Kcups but still have a regular pot as well. The Keurig is great when I just want a quick cup or something other than regular black coffee.

As for who they hire? Well, all I have ever seen in the ones I have been in are the millenial types that most often screw it up and can't count change. I will stick with Dunkin Donuts! I have a couple co-workers that think they cannot live without a huge cup of something from starbucks every day. Meh, to each their own I guess.

4 hours ago, tnhawk said:

I would go in Starbucks more often if the liberal stench didn't overwhelm the coffee.

I have never experienced that. Maybe that's the case if the Starbucks you visit are in Portland Oregon....

I think their coffee sucks but I don't understand the hate that extends beyond their product. Their track record for hiring veterans is pretty awesome. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

Starbucks sucks big time. The coffee not the employees.

Yep....way overpriced bilge water but every employee I've interacted with at the few I've gone into were the kind of customer service type of employee you were pleased with.

6 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I have never experienced that. Maybe that's the case if the Starbucks you visit are in Portland Oregon....

I think their coffee sucks but I don't understand the hate that extends beyond their product. Their track record for hiring veterans is pretty awesome. 

I've seen a few starbucks that meet that criteria, but to be fair most of those have been in either liberal cities or by colleges and universities.  As for the vet hiring, they don't rank as high as you think, according to this site they don't even rank in the top 75.

http://bestforvets.militarytimes.com/best-employers-for-veterans/2016/