Flint River Armory CSA45.... Got one??

SmokyBaer

I tell ya' these are exciting times.  Was gonna get me another top shelf 45 pistol but along came a youtube that really hit me.  Late last year, a place called Flint River Armory came out with a piston driven 45acp carbine.  Runs clean and very accurate so says the youtubers that i watch so far.  Only downer i heard was it has a propietary mag.   Sooo... Does anyone here have experience with one or know of one in stock that i could play with?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKmNB0HBVsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0B2Iox__Zw

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Couldn't stand it no longer... called 'em up.

Took several attempts at calling but they must have caller ID.  Three different emails and two return calls bounced back at me... 2 owners and a build tech.  They are swamped with new orders which is a good thing.  I knew i wasn't too strange fer liking a piston driven pistol caliber carbine.  Uh, or there's lots of other folks as strange as me.  Not sure.

Have had several conversations at this point and had to count my play money... bought it!  However, i went for the pistol version instead of the carbine.  It'll be my first AR type pistol.  Can't wait to whoop it out at the line when my buds commence with their 8 shot 1911s and plastic pistols.  Looking at running a Fostech or Franklin binary trigger in it too.  Those things sure ain't cheap.  I feeling a herd sale soon.

Here's a link... Flint River CSA-P-45acp

I've rescheduled with the owner for a demo next month so I can have more detailed information after I put my hands on it.  The friend that went in my stead shot the pistol version.  He stated the pistol had practically zero recoil and mostly in the form of a rearward push vs muzzle rise.  He was able to run mags as fast as he could accurately engage, and had no malfunctions of any type.  Slow, steady fire at 25 and 50 yards the pistol was extremely accurate, with an unmeasured "golf ball sized" group after a complete magazine (I didn't ask whether it was match or bulk .45).  Trigger pull out of the box felt, to him, more smooth and somewhat lighter than a standard AR, but not like a match trigger.

Most of the gun, mags included, are proprietary.  Per one of the owners, this was done to ensure quality control with their system.  I can understand that as most people won't care that a bad aftermarket mag or incorrect combination of aftermarket buffer and spring is causing a malfunction.  They would just know that "the gun won't shoot" and it'll be bad reviews and sold down the road.  However, the part most of us care about, the trigger/FCG is replaceable with standard AR trigger components.  Meaning you can go by that sweet BRAND X AR trigger you love and drop it in this.

All told it was a positive review from a trusted friend, and I'll confirm it in a few weeks when I send rounds downrange with it.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the update!  Sounds great.

I'm feeling pretty good about getting one.
Only complaint i've heard was like you said, the propietary mags instead of Glock or Kriss.
That's a non issue for me and likely many shooters.  I just want it to run clean every time.

Ain't no fun at the steel tree target when they all get flipped to your side cause of a misfeed.

• 2 years later...

Long Guns

Just so you know:

"Discussion of long gun topics. Rifles, Shotguns, Automatic, Bolt action, all brands.
Absolutely NO items may listed for sale or trade here!"

"The ability to post ads is a perk granted to our Premium Members (Benefactors) for supporting the TGO community. Benefactor subscriptions are as cheap as $20/6-months or $35/year and help us raise much needed capital to pay our operational expenses."

👌

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

appears these went the way of the dodo bird...another reason I hate proprietary mags

I doubt proprietary mags has as much to do with them going out of business as the $1800 price tag for a pistol caliber carbine. But…. you may be right.

19 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I doubt proprietary mags has as much to do with them going out of business as the $1800 price tag for a pistol caliber carbine. But…. you may be right.

I meant that I hate them because when a company goes out of business its hard to get mags...not that the proprietary mags put them out of business.

Early on, i learned the hard way to always buy extra mags when you even think they are proprietary.  Later on, those mags are sometimes worth more than the firearm.  

BTW...  i got a return email from FRA and they are not out of business.  Admittedly, they were on the ropes for several months but apparently have figured out a plan to rebound.  I hope they do well.  I like the CSA45.  Very accurate and runs clean too.  

• Like 1