TN HB 0508/SB 0445

5 hours ago, 300winmag said:

Folks in small towns where all county/city business is done at the court house are about to get hurt carry wise by this bill unless it is amended on the House floor.  Carry inside the WHOLE court house is going to be made a felony offense, even with a permit.  You might want to bring this up with your state senators and state representatives.

Emails sent - for whatever good it will do.

I have to at least give my senator (Ken Yager) credit for responding to my email.  It wasn't a form letter, either, as he actually referenced the bill and said that it will probably be Thursday or Monday before the Senate votes on it.  He further said that he had not yet made up his mind which way he would vote and needed to review the bill before deciding but that he would keep my concerns in mind and speak to the bill's sponsor about those issues.  Unless it is significantly (un)amended back to its original form or closer I hope he votes 'nay' but if he votes 'yea' I know that he at least considered my thoughts on the bill.

It looks like the bill passed with the carve outs for state government buildings, hospitals, libraries, police departments.  I wonder if the airports will be able to carve themselves out and still make carry illegal before TSA screening by posting, since airports like Memphis have their own airport police.

The bill may benefit people in Memphis and Nashville because the city governments here post a lot of the city owned buildings.  It will hurt people in small towns that do not post and have one building for court and other city offices. 

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:26 PM, Worriedman said:

No decent firearms issue bill is going to pass this legislature, TFA does not have the money and NRA is not interested in getting involved at this time.

You wouldn't know that by looking at my Inbox.

I think the NRA had a part with this bill because it involves lawsuit money being awarded basically to the NRA if a city or county violates the pre emption statute.

A simple bill that just changes the 'no gun' sign criminal offense to a deny of entry/remove from property would not have been written by the NRA because what would they benefit from that kind of change?  If the NRA was effective in this state they would have gotten these goofy restrictions off the books when they had the convention in Nashville.

Edited by 300winmag
  • Like 2
On 5/2/2017 at 10:05 AM, 300winmag said:

I think the NRA does decent work at the national level but they sure don't help this state out much at all.

I think the phrase you are looking for is, "sucks monkey butt at the local level"  Honestly, the NRA could be much more successful national issues if they focused on local issues first. Local issues change mindsets which help changes national issues easier. This has been proven over and over again with other issues.

• Like 2
On 5/14/2017 at 8:01 AM, macville said:

Anyone have the final text of this bill and what it covers? From what I've read about it, it seems more like a gun control bill than adding any freedom for us.

Seems that way to me, too.  I looked at the list of Representatives and Senators who voted 'aye' so that I can begin compiling my list of people to vote against any and every chance I get.  I don't care if they are Republican, Democrat or Plutonian.

The Republicans at the state level have gotten away with this BS of saying one thing and doing another when it comes to gun rights and carry rights long enough.  They pay lip service to 'gun rights' to get our support - thereby probably losing the support of anti-gunners who take them at face value - and then turn around and stab us in the back.  It is time they lost the support of pro gun folks as well as the anti gun folks.  We need to start sending the message that we want results, not handshakes and promises.  If that means enduring a term or two of Democratic control in order to send the message then that is what we are going to have to do.  For that matter, in some ways we saw more advances to gun/self defense/carry rights with Bredesen in the Governor's mansion and rabidly anti-gun Naifeh as Speaker - things like no duty to retreat being made official, so-called 'guns in bars' (even though both Bredesen and Naifeh opposed that one it still made it through - over Bredesen's veto, IIRC) and others than we have since the current bunch of losers took office.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...