Need M&P front sight installed

Vindicare

I have an M&P 40 pro 5" that shoots consistently low. I will be replacing the factory fiber optic front sight with a stand white dot front sight from S&W. is there anyone local to the west Nashville/ Cheatham county area that would install it for a reasonable price. I just don't want to pay $40 to install $8 worth of sight.

Thanks in advance

Vindicare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/7/2017 at 4:48 PM, Vindicare said:

I just don't want to pay $40 to install $8 worth of sight.

Now do not get upset, you have a few choices to make.

1 learn how and buy the tools.

2 bubby it in and then learn how.

3 pay for someone that has the know how and skill to do the job, after all you are not paying for what is done but what is known.

• Like 1

I'm sure I could do it but I don't want to fork over the money for tools that I will probably use once. I will probably go ahead and pay the money. Just thought a member here might want to share some knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Patton said:

I have bought the pusher before, and then resold it which meant I got about 95% of my money recouped. 

This is what I always did. You can buy a sight pusher from brownells for about $100. Install your sight. Sight the gun in and if necessary adjust the sight with the pusher. Then sell it for $85.

FWIW I've never owned a sight pusher tool and have swapped out sights by placing wood blocks in a bench vise and then using either a brass punch or hardwood dowel rod to drive out and reinstall a dovetailed front or rear sight. It's really that easy if you mark the windage location of the sight being removed. I'd love to take credit for learning this but an I watched an older gunsmith doing this a lot in his shop. When I asked him why he didn't buy a sight pushing tool he asked me why he needed it if he had a vise, proper punches and was careful. But if you really want a proper DIY sight pushing tool for cheap...

Or...

• Administrator

I have an MGW Pro sight press and a myriad of handgun-specific "shoes" for it.  I don't mind doing sight installs for people but meeting up with me on my schedule can be incredibly difficult, which is why I don't volunteer for it very often.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2017 at 11:34 AM, TNWNGR said:

FWIW I've never owned a sight pusher tool and have swapped out sights by placing wood blocks in a bench vise and then using either a brass punch or hardwood dowel rod to drive out and reinstall a dovetailed front or rear sight. It's really that easy if you mark the windage location of the sight being removed. I'd love to take credit for learning this but an I watched an older gunsmith doing this a lot in his shop. When I asked him why he didn't buy a sight pushing tool he asked me why he needed it if he had a vise, proper punches and was careful. But if you really want a proper DIY sight pushing tool for cheap...

Yeah I don't know why people are so opposed to whacking it with a hammer. How do they think sights got put on guns back before sight pushers. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Spiffy said:

Yeah I don't know why people are so opposed to whacking it with a hammer. How do they think sights got put on guns back before sight pushers. 

Tried it with an M&P?  Those sights are pressed in there HARD.  It takes some muscle with the right tool to get the front sight out of there.

I have one of the sight tools for the MP pistol. Bought it used and it is a MGW if I remember right.  Does not work on the 5 inch slide front sight. Dawson sells aluminum drivers for dovetail sights and these work as well or better than a sight pusher if you have a way to hold the slide ( vise ).

It has to do with the recoil spring tunnel at the front end of the slide. The slide will not go into the pusher far enough for the actual pusher screw to line up with the dovetail.

The Glock method of mounting the sight is the easiest to deal with. More companies should use it.

Edited by Taylor