Any Airgunner's here?......My new PCP airgun addiction.

plinker4life

I went with an SSP (single stroke pneumatic) so I didn't have to worry about having extra air with me.  Mine is designed for 10m shooting, so it depends what you want to do with it as well.   I bought it to play with in my basement.  I have suppressors if I need to shoot anything outdoors close to the house.
I just bought this FWB 601.  It is in the process of getting a stock refinish to a darker stain as I am not into the light stocks.
i-C3f4PzV-600x380.jpg

Might fine tack driver there. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2017 at 10:42 AM, graycrait said:

There is quite a bit of "buzz" in air rifle land for this air rifle, the Umarex Gauntlet.  This rifle should be hitting stores about mid-month.  If this gun proves itself it would be hard to beat for the money (299.99):

https://www.umarexusa.com/blogs/airgun-news/umarex-gauntlet-sets-the-new-standard-in-pcp-air-rifle-performance

Pyramid Air shows these as possibly being available in May. I may get one of these, but it appears to me I may have to spend close to another $300 for options that don’t involve me pumping it by hand. (Air Venturi Carbon Fiber Air Tank + whatever local fill charges are)

For you folks into this what is the go to forum for PCP air guns?

The two that Graycrait  mentioned are good choices.  Since I got into the pcp game with my kids shooting competitive 10m sporter air rifle I picked up several items from TargetTalk.org In there buy, sell ,trade section.  Yeah a lot of their stuff is geared toward competitive shooting but It's where I picked up my 80cf tank with yoke and fittings for a third of the cost of new.  The carbon fiber tanks are nice and easy to handle but a bit on the pricey side when a steel tank will do the same thing.  It's been about a year since I had mine filled but it was a whole $8.00 at a scuba shop in Nashville.

Check eBay for used scba 60min 4500psi tanks..... just remember if they are greater than 15 years old they are no longer able to be filled and require hydro testing every 5 years. You can find a good used tank for around $150 and a good fill setup is about $160 from expert HPA, this will get you about 60 full fills. The air Venturi tank for $300 new will only net you about 14 refills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/11/2017 at 9:21 PM, seez52 said:

how much effort and how much pumping does it take for one of these? If using a hand pump are they operating at a lower pressure than if filled with a tank?

Mine is full at 3,000 PSI, I assume most fill to about the same. I run it down to around 1,000 and then pump it back to 3,000. Around 45 strokes on the hand pump, it's very easy.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve ran some “wanted” ads trying to buy or even trade firearms for one of these used before I jump into new. Most of what I am seeing is .22 and .25.

I would like to know if my thinking is right on this. I will use this for target practice at home. I will only be punching holes in paper. I will not be hunting or using it to kill pests.

So I’m thinking I have no reason to want anything bigger than .177. Bigger is slower, less range and uses more air. .177 should be a flatter, longer shooter requiring fewer refills. Is that not correct?

29 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I’ve ran some “wanted” ads trying to buy or even trade firearms for one of these used before I jump into new. Most of what I am seeing is .22 and .25.

I would like to know if my thinking is right on this. I will use this for target practice at home. I will only be punching holes in paper. I will not be hunting or using it to kill pests.

So I’m thinking I have no reason to want anything bigger than .177. Bigger is slower, less range and uses more air. .177 should be a flatter, longer shooter requiring fewer refills. Is that not correct?

Yes

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...