The Smallest Caliber You Trust To Carry?

Fourtyfive

22 minutes ago, Ugly said:

I used to be able to hit pigeons in flight with my rock throwing wrist rocket. 

I could probably carry it in one of those anti states. Imagine hitting someone in the forehead with a slinged rock? It'd be cartoonish but I bet they would run!

You got thousands out there right now that need to be hit in the forehead with a rock. I'm thinkin' group buy!

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, peejman said:

Sweet!  We should talk sometime. I'd love to hear the story first hand. 

I hear that the whole thing has gotten blown way out of proportion over the years.  The truth, as I heard it, involved a woman, a bottle of cheap tequila and two guys duking it out in a gravel parking lot.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Ugly said:

I used to be able to hit pigeons in flight with my rock throwing wrist rocket. 

I could probably carry it in one of those anti states. Imagine hitting someone in the forehead with a slinged rock? It'd be cartoonish but I bet they would run!

I wouldn't bet on it.  I thought I remembered reading about slingshots being illegal in some states/areas so I did a quick Bing search.  This article is from 2012 but I see no reason to believe that the law has changed:

http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Teen-charged-with-slingshot-possession-3429903.php

from the article:

When officers searched the vehicle, they found the two slingshots -- one of which was a powerful wrist-braced slingshot -- which are illegal in New York, Johnson said.

"I think if they outlawed (slingshots), they're probably pretty dangerous weapons," Johnson said. "It's almost like carrying a gun."

OMG - RUN!  He's got a powerful wrist-braced slingshot!  Run for your lives!  We're all gonna diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeee!!!!!!!

The 'Johnson' who is quoted is the local police chief.  Yep, the chief of police thinks that carrying a slingshot is 'almost like carrying a gun'.  So what kind of guns does his police force carry that are 'almost like' a slingshot?  Nerf dart guns?  He might want to look into upgrading to potato guns or something before some desperate thug with a rubber band launcher takes out his entire force.  Can't you just imagine it?  "Ow! My eye!"  "Oh, no!  They got Bill!  Officer down!  Officer down!"

You can't fix stupid.  All you can do is nuke it into oblivion.  (note: If we still had sig lines that would be my new one)

Then there is this article, about a New Jersey legislator trying to get their law changed is from 2015 - and I can't find anything saying that he was successful: 

http://www.app.com/story/news/local/new-jersey/2015/05/13/bill-make-slingshots-legal-nj/27236849/

Yep, a fourth degree crime with a possible $10,000 fine, up to 18 months in prison or both - for carrying a friggin' slingshot - unless the person has an, 'explainable, lawful purpose' for carrying it.  Somehow, I doubt that, "Because you bunch of panty-waist bedwetters won't let me carry my damn gun," would pass muster as an 'explainable, lawful purpose'.

Probably the best, most foolproof way of making sure one does not run afoul of weapons laws in New York or New Jersey is to avoid those states as if they were ground zero for an epidemic of the bubonic plague, ebola and genital warts.  That is my plan, at least, and I hope to be able to stick to it.

I am thinking that Joerg Sprave (German guy who has a YouTube channel called 'The Slingshot Channel' where he pushes the idea of the slingshot to the extreme) had better not even be seen within 50 miles of either state.  They would have to call in their National Guard with bean bag bazookas to stop this maniac!

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

When hunting, I have my hunting firearm, which varies of course, AND a Glock 27 with 3 extended mags loaded with +P ammo....just because you never know what you're going to run into these days. If I'm in a vehicle the Glock is always there with at least 2 of the above mentioned mags. If I ain't nekkid I have a .380 Seecamp on me somewhere....ALWAYS. So...I guess it's .380 for me as far as the question goes.

33 minutes ago, Fourtyfive said:

You all are killing me, but I've got a creek full of rocks. I think everytime I post something I seem to split the team. I am going to go silent for a while. I love this forum and I should prob shut up for a while.

Ok....Ok....the joke was funny too. LOL.  We used to say the something similar when I was into scuba diving....you don't have to outrun the shark, just the person you are diving with. That's why I always carried a knife when diving! Everybody said "you ain't gonna kill no shark with that thing." I'd reply..."who said anything about killing the shark?" :dirty:

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 2

I'll chime in with .380 since I just got one.

Did some googling and found 99gr HST Micro. Checked YouTube, revealed good expansion, average 8-9 penetration.

At 3 yards face to face, I figure it's adequate. From an angle, adding for arms and multiple layers (shirt-arm-shirt-shirt-then torso) not so much.

FWIW, 40 rounds of flawless operation in a Kimber Micro.

Picked them up from WM of all places.

I was also pleased to see .380 fmj for under $14/50 depending on brand.

And it's true, I don't have to out run the bear, I just have to out run you...

On 2/10/2017 at 5:16 PM, Fourtyfive said:

You all are killing me, but I've got a creek full of rocks. I think everytime I post something I seem to split the team. I am going to go silent for a while. I love this forum and I should prob shut up for a while.

Nah, I know you meant the thread as a joke but  I think these discussions are fun as long as no one starts telling someone else that they are an 'idiot' because of their choice, etc.  I like these threads because they give me a chance to reflect out loud regarding where I stand at the moment.

Ok, so I'm a little late to this thread, but I'll add my 2 cents. :2cents:

What I carry depends entirely on what I'm doin', where I'm goin', how I'm dressed, the weather, social circumstances, my mood or how the moon are stars are aligned on that particular day. :rolleyes:

My usual carry gun is a Colt Commander .45acp. Why? Because I shoot it well and just plain like it. :D

I have been known to carry a .38 Special or .380 auto when it suited my fancy. I've also been known to carry a .25acp from time to time. And I've always had complete confidence in any of them. As said, its not so much about the size of the hole as it is about putting the holes where they need to be.  

I do not carry .22s for self defense. No, its not because I think its too wimpy. A great many BGs have gone to meet their maker with the help of a tiny .22 and that's a proven fact. I don't carry .22s because they are rimfire cartridges. We've all experienced the occasional dud when shooting .22s. Its just a fact of life. The problem is that they are completely unpredictable. Ya just never know when one will fail to fire.  I don't know about y'all, but it seems to me that the current crop of .22 ammo out there now has even more duds per box than they used to. I think that in the rush to catch up on the "shortage" that the ammo makers may have cut a few corners. :grouchy:  Centerfire cartridges are simply more reliable.

If you're happy with a .22, more power to ya. This is JMHO and probably not worth the :2cents: I started with.  

Grayfox54, you sighted the exact reason I wouldn't want to carry a .22LR as a main SD gun in most circumstances.  Even before the .22 craze I have had 'duds' (usually fire on re-strike) even in the 'premium' .22LR brands/types such as Stingers, Mini-Mags and so on.  I cannot, however, recall ever having had a single failure to fire with a .22WMR - not even the cheap Winchester Dynapoint ammo or some really old stuff my late, maternal grandfather had squirreled away when he died.  I can't even say the same about factory 9mm as I have had 'duds' that didn't fire even on restrike from both Remington UMC and Federal (in their low cost, range ammo lines.)  Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that you should trust .22WMR.  I am just making a general statement that I believe there is a big difference in reliability and dependability between .22LR ammo and .22WMR ammo.  I don't know if that is due to the difference in construction, if more QC attention is paid to the WMR because it is more expensive or what but that has been my experience.

Edited by JAB