Car tire question, Ford Taurus 215vs225.

vontar

I am wondering if anyone can confirm if this would fit.  We have a Ford Taurus, stock tire size is 215/60R16.  I have a like new set of 225/60R16.  I am wondering if that little bit of different would be 2 much?

been trying to search but short of putting them on the car and checking to see if they rub I have been unable to find an answer for this.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=215-60r16-225-60r16

The car is a 2007 Ford Taurus, SE.   It would save a good amount of money if they will work.   I am fairly certain the back will be no issue,  more concerned about putting them on the front.

I don't / haven't had a Taurus but the 225 should be about a half inch taller overall and approximately a half inch wider sidewall to sidewall (across).  With that in mind turn your tires lock to lock and check if there is enough current clearance to allow for it.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=225-60r16-215-60r16

Edited by tacops

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

They will fit.  They will be 1.8% bigger. You could also try a 225/55/16. They would be 1.5% smaller. 10mm greater width will be spread on either side, so 5mm wider on a side. That is nominal. Check other trim levels of the same car, or the Mercury/Lincoln variants, odds are good they came with different wheel/tire size combinations, maybe with something in 225 or wider.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator/215-60R16/225-60R16/225-55R16

For reference my Toyota came stock with 185/70/13s, I currently run 225/45/17s. I have run a dozen different sizes in the past.

Going 10mm wider is not going to be much of an issue at all.

For disclaimer purposes, my car is HIGHLY modified. This is an extreme circumstance and my suspension/body has been altered from stock specs greatly. It is only mentioned to show that I have a modicum of experience with the topic. However I am not a professional tire guy, take my advice with a grain of salt.

Edited by Murgatroy
  • Like 1

Thanks, all but putting them on and trying, appears you guys are in the same mindset as myself that they should work.

Like i said I already have the tires from other car and they are already mounted on rims that should be the same bolt pattern  So all that being said this could save me me some money. 

Now just need another one of those mid winter days around 70 to switch some around and check.

Different wheels could change the whole dynamic. If the offset (back spacing) is changed, your wheels could be farther in or out. Either contacting the strut or fender. Also make sure the wheels are designed for front wheel drive. FWD has a more negative offset than a RWD car. A RWD wheel would almost certainly contact your brake caliper.

Since you have the wheels and tires already, the best advice I have is to just mount them to the car and see how the do. You will want to set it all the way on the ground with weight on it to verify. The camber and caster will be off in the air, as well as the suspension being sprung.

Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk