How to set up dedicated video chat for grandma

jgradyc

My 89-year-old mother-in-law just went into a nursing home in another state. I've set up a video chat couple times by smart phone and it really seems to work well, but the problem is I have to have someone there to operate the phone for her. 

Does anyone have any idea or know how I can set up a dedicated chatline for her so she could just answer it like a telephone. I could give her one of my tablets, but it's so easy to get lost in all of the dozens of applications on those things.

Ideally, this device would just ring. She could push a button and answer it and then she could see me

Ideas?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tablets not secured would probably walk off pretty quick.  This is my experience with having a couple of relatives in Assisted Living/Nursing homes.

Good point. I might need to use one of those anti-theft cables. I have a couple of old Chromebooks with the anti-theft cable slot. That might work. I hadn't thought of using a laptop. Mom can barely handle answering a phone. 

Good point. I might need to use one of those anti-theft cables. I have a couple of old Chromebooks with the anti-theft cable slot. That might work. I hadn't thought of using a laptop. Mom can barely handle answering a phone. 

If you can use an older laptop with an anti-theft cable and install Skype on it then assuming the facility has a WIFI router you'll have a great set up. If they don't but she has a smartphone then you can use it for a mobile hotspot. It's going to depend on the capabilities of who is using it. On a smartphone I prefer FaceTime but with a PC or laptop I prefer Skype.

I have only used Facebook chat so far.  I found several different apps for the Android with FaceTime in the name.  I've used Skype voice only in the past. 

If I use a laptop, I'd need to set up the boot to load the video program. Mom isn't going to be able to find it otherwise. 

Oh, the facility has Wifi, so we don't need a hotspot.

Grady

Edited by jgradyc

Just have her leave Skype up and running so all she has to do is click on the accept call button when you call, or click a few buttons to call you.  Seems like she won't be using the computer for much else, and you can even set the screen saver to show an album of family pictures for her.

Standard feature for iPhone.  Live video between two Iphone users.  One user places the call using face time feature with the other simply answering the face time request.  Pretty much like me calling you and you answering.   Only we can see each other and talk. 

And on on the other hand, my mother in law is 92 and she can't get it.  So at 89 good luck. 

Edited by Luap
3 hours ago, btq96r said:

Just have her leave Skype up and running so all she has to do is click on the accept call button when you call, or click a few buttons to call you.  Seems like she won't be using the computer for much else, and you can even set the screen saver to show an album of family pictures for her.

It's absolutely that simple, if the laptops on and someone calls her on Skype it has a distinctive alert tone. Once you've heard it you'll never forget it. If she want's to call someone all she to do is click on their icon in her Skype contacts then once it opens hit the phone icon.