Outdoor ranges is West Nashville area?

MrJones79

Hey y'all

I live in the Bellevue area and am wondering if anyone knows of any local outdoor ranges to accommodate long range shooting. Looking for something with at least 300yds, preferably more. Only one I see via some Google searches is the Haffner range in Franklin, south of here, and that is 100 yards tops.

Are there really no options out this way? I pretty much try to avoid indoor ranges...just don't like the noise and lack of distance obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Several of us are in Bellevue. Welcome to the suckiest location on Middle TN for range access.  No matter which one you choose, you're looking at about an hour each way.

There's Cheatham WMA range, but I'm pretty sure it's also 100 yards.

The TWRA range at Stones River has 2 lanes that go to 200 yds, but you have to be an annual member to use them (IIRC), they're only open Fri-Sun, and they're usually stupid busy.

Chapel Hill has Strategic Edge, but it has a long waiting list. It goes out to 1,250 yds.

Gallatin Gun Club is currently searching for land to build a new range since we got kicked out of the TVA property. It was 300 yds and the new one is expected to be that long or more. No promises, but I'll be very surprised if it's not at least 300 yds.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
Several of us are in Bellevue. Welcome to the suckiest location on Middle TN for range access.  No matter which one you choose, you're looking at about an hour each way.
There's Cheatham WMA range, but I'm pretty sure it's also 100 yards.
The TWRA range at Stones River has 2 lanes that go to 200 yds, but you have to be an annual member to use them (IIRC), they're only open Fri-Sun, and they're usually stupid busy.
Chapel Hill has Strategic Edge, but it has a long waiting list. It goes out to 1,250 yds.
Gallatin Gun Club is currently searching for land to build a new range since we got kicked out of the TVA property. It was 300 yds and the new one is expected to be that long or more.

Yeah I'm a member at Strategic Edge. It's awesome, I was just hoping to find something to avoid 2+ hours of driving for each range trip!!!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

If anyone finds out how to get on their waiting list, let me know. I've been trying to figure that out off and on for a couple of years now.

You have to go to one of the monthly meetings to get on the list.  I have been out there twice as a guest of a member, and it is a pretty nice range.  I just haven't been able to attend a meeting to get on the list.  

I think the longest range I saw was 100-125ydrs, but I could be wrong.  We were shooting pistols, so I didn't pay that much attention.  

10 hours ago, MrJones79 said:

Yeah I'm a member at Strategic Edge. It's awesome, I was just hoping to find something to avoid 2+ hours of driving for each range trip!!!

I'll be joining up in April (think they said that's when my application would go through)  I'd be happy to carpool when you go.

I am about 30 minutes from Strategic Edge - It is not as convenient as the range 10 minutes down the road I used to go to, but is 100X better (atmosphere, safety, available equipment including steel, plus the target distances). When I go out there I spend at least 2 hours typically, if I take a couple of rifles it is no problem to spend a few hours.

I know several people from Nashville and further (Chattanooga, Huntsville, etc.) who make the drive to SE because of all it offers. They either do not shoot except when they can spend several hours to make the drive and shoot, or pay for a close range that allows them to shoot but without the amenities that SE offers.

5 hours ago, Garufa said:

Like monkeylizard said, annual membership is required for the 200 yard range.

This. Anyone can go there to shoot the pistol or 100 yd ranges, but you have to become an annual member for the 200 yd, IIRC. I heard years ago that you also had to pass a shooting test at 100 yds distance. Don't know if that's true or not, but it makes sense. Their 200 yard lanes (all 2 of them) force you to shoot through some large culvert-type steel pipes which form holes in the 100 yd berm to get you out to the 200 yard berm. I can understand them not wanting yahoos shooting up the pipes. I don't know if the shooting test is still required, or if it ever really was.

Boy, I'm glad I live so close to MSSA...only about a 15 minute drive, and all the amenities and range options you could ask for. Unfortunately it's a long drive for you guys from Nashville, and it's also a membership only club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

when I worked there, there was a 100 yd test to make sure the shooter could keep it on paper at 100 for exactly the reasons stated. too many shooting up the pipes. if you go there, you'd be surprised to see how shot up the 5 yd and 10yd back stops are. another reason why only slugs are allowed for shotguns.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk