Disappointment right out of the gate.

res308

Like I said in the other thread, I went ahead and ordered the Smith and Wesson Model 60. Well, I went to pick it up today. As I was checking the action, I could see it had a pretty decent trigger for a "straight from the factory" gun. But, when I went to check the single action, the hammer wouldn't stay back. Wouldn't lock on single action. Probably something wrong with the sear. 

Dave at TN Gun Country was on it immediately. I can say after years of doing business with them that they do take care of the customer and I like those guys there. I have zero problem with them. They were apologizing for it, but that was nothing they could have controlled. Dave is sending it back to Smith. Sort of leaves a sickening feeling, but I know between Gun Country and Smith it'll be taken care of and made right. I'm just anxious to get it back.

Anyone else ever had this happen with a new Smith? I'm curious as to what would cause that.

Edited by res308
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The single action is virtually a knife edge sear engagement. The slightest burr or blunt trigger sear edge will compromise the sear groove lock up. I'm guessing its all but a 2 minute job to reseat the sear contact points. They should fast track that for you. Those are nice little carry guns... still on my bucket list.

44 minutes ago, xtriggerman said:

The single action is virtually a knife edge sear engagement. The slightest burr or blunt trigger sear edge will compromise the sear groove lock up. I'm guessing its all but a 2 minute job to reseat the sear contact points. They should fast track that for you. Those are nice little carry guns... still on my bucket list.

After doing a little reading, I'm wondering if it could have been some crud left over from the manufacturing process that slipped by and was interfering with the sear. Perhaps we could've knocked that out right there in the store. Who knows. I'll be glad when it gets back though.

Back when I had a full service shop, I saw out of the box atrocities come out of Colt, Ruger, Beretta, Remington and S&W just off the top of my not so good memory. I bought a S&W 645 when they first came out and it was a flyer meca. So when I gave it the once over, I found that some how (that I cant understand) the chamber was visibly way off center! On one side the chamber wall was dam near in line with the top of the lands while the opposite side funneled deep into the bore. The only way this could happen is they don't use a piloted chamber reamer and the barrel was spinning terribly off center when they bored the chamber. I called S&W on it and to their credit, I had a brand new barrel out of a mail box in a few days with no sending the old one back. The worst case was Beretta on a M21 22 auto that came threw with a gouged chamber wall so bad that it would only eject half the mag at best. You could see the gouge and the fired casings clearly shown a bulge. I ended up doing mail tag with them. The first 2 times they replaced nearly all the parts in the gun including the grips! the third time back they gave me a new gun for the customer. I guess they had no one in CS there at Accocakee MD who knew how to replace a barrel on one of those tip up 21's.   A couple years earlier I had the same gouged chamber issue on a Beretta Target M76 22 and they replaced the barrel first time threw.  When I ran the 1911A1 assembly line at Auto Ordnance I learned what relation quality control had over pre paid gun orders..... the stories I could tell you all about that is somewhat amusing looking back now! 

Good luck with the 60, normally CS has a no holds bared from making it better than it would have been out of the box. At least that's how things used to be.  I remember a heavy barrel Browning Buck Mark I sold to a guy had a very rough bore so when I got it back with a new "good" barrel, they gave me 2 new mags with it for free.

Edited by xtriggerman

My guess is it's going to be the wrong trigger rebound screw based upon your good decent double action comment on an out of the box S&W J frame. But regardless yes, I've seen crappy NIB S&W revolvers before and yes S&W can and well correct the problem.

I agree. I think it'll be correct or "better than" when it gets back. I'm under the impression the S&W rep wasn't real happy about that slipping by QC. On the other hand, it was destined for a trip to the gunsmith in Dover before I ever ordered it. He'll be getting the 60 and my old 686-1 to work his magic on. Not sure what all he does, but it ain't nothin but sweetness when it leaves his shop.

My nephew bought a new 629 last year. After less than 100 rounds, the barrel stated to come unscrewed. He sent it back to Smith & Wesson, but the turnaround time was ridiculously long.

I would be hesitant to buy a Smith at this point. 

Any gun by any manufacturer can have problems. In the over a hundred S&W I have owned I have sent back 2. I go direct with S&W. In both cases they emailed me a shipping label, fixed the problem and returned the gun to me. I don’t really have time to wait on the phone during the hours they are open, and in both cases I never talked with anyone; it was handled through email.

I have an issue with them right now and was not happy with CS. I wrote a letter and the day they received it I got a phone call. I think the issue will be taken care of; we will see.

Nothing against your dealer, but if you are not happy with them; contact them directly. They do try to fix the problems. Just as any manufacturer can have a gun with problems, any of them can have a CS person that isn’t doing a good job. That just happened to me.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you.

Thanks Dave. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the dealer at all, which is Tennessee Gun Country, especially if I just deal with Dave, Tim, or Richard. They've always done right by me. Matter of fact, I never got the gun out of the store. Soon as I took it out of the box and we discovered it, Dave was immediately on the phone with Smith. Like I said, I have the impression that the guy at Smith wasn't too happy about something like that slipping by QC.

I was happy with their CS a few weeks ago when I called them about the recall on my old 686. The guy checked the serial number in the system, determined that it had not been taken care of on that one, and emailed me a shipping label right then.

I know this one will be made right as well.

The reason I titled the thread as "disappointment" is that even at 48 years old it's hard to keep myself from feeling like a kid at Christmas when I'm going to pick up my brand spankin new shoot'n arn:drool:, then get there and my balloon gets popped. :cry:

But I have to remind myself that every single gun maker that's ever been in business has had something happen at some time or other.

• 1 month later...

My Ruger Redhawk right outta the box would lock up in DA. It went back to Ruger TWICE before they gave me another new one.:wall: They reimbursed me for background check charges on the second one. Sad but true. It's all good now but frustrating. It can happen .

To me the mark of great service is not IF they are going to make a mistake--who does not make mistakes?--But HOW they fix the mistakes.  In my experience you get what you pay for both with the weapons and with CS.  The better the weapon, the better the CS.

Well, just a few days ago I called Dave and he still hadn't heard anything from Smith. Thought about that and decided I'd had enough. Called him back the next day and told him to tell Smith how ridiculous this was. I told him I didn't have a problem with Smith taking a while doing the recall on my old 686-1 (it's been about two months and should be delivered on Friday 3/24), but that one would think they would fast track the resolution of a brand new gun that was screwed up. I just told him to let them know how disgusted I am, and to cancel the Model 60 and instead send a 640, hopefully one that's actually been quality inspected. I'll see how that works out.

It's a strange thing. Looking back on it, there was some kind of gut feeling there giving me a bad vibe about ordering this 60 in this particular case. Felt like I should have ordered the 640 instead, but plowed ahead. Then this happens. I'm sure I'll get around to getting a 60 one day, just not that particular one.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:31 AM, Raoul said:

So it's been 11 days since you dropped the gun off at the dealers for return?

Where do you come up with 11 days? The gun (the Model 60) was purchased on February 13, and it wasn't dropped off at the store - it never left the store with me. I had them send it back right then. Figured I'd better not leave with it.

Unless you're referring to the 686 that was scheduled to arrive on March 24. I shipped it from home sometime around the first week of February, and it arrived back home on March 24.

But I sure do WISH either one had taken just 11 days.

Edited by res308
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:00 PM, ozo said:

I understand your frustration, been there more than once.

I hope your 686 arrived today.

The 60 is a great S&W.....seems like everybody is just rushing stuff through anymore.

Yep, it arrived as promised on March 24. They had sent me an email letting me know they had received it in the shop on February 14, I had shipped it off a week or two before that, I don't remember the date. Been so busy lately I haven't had a chance to go try it out. They had estimated about a month turn around time, took a bit longer. No worries, I'm glad it's back home.