Show me your FAST cars and trucks!

JohnC

Here is the beginning of mine. It is a home built Caterham. The passenger tub will be skinned in aluminum and I am debating on either leaving the rest completely open for everyone to see or skinning it. I am seriously considering skinning it in canvas, like a WWI plane, then use resin to add some rigidity.

I was hoping to have it on wheels today but not sure I can get that far ahead.

file.php?id=54303&t=1

The frame weighs ~120 pounds and it should weigh less than 1,300 pounds with me in it. And with ~300RWHP from a 2.3 turbo it should do 0-60 in under 3 seconds and the quarter in under 10 but this isn't being built for straight line blasts but for going around corners. It will spend a lot of time on the Dragon when complete.

It will have a warmed over 2.3 turbo from a 1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. I will probably end up building my own intake at some point. I plan on building the fuel tank unless I can find an off the shelf one that will fit.

It will have a full race built C4 auto with Kevlar bands and clutches. The rear came out of a 1998 Mustang and has 2.79 gears which is about perfect, 1st will get me to ~55 mph, 2nd to ~90mph and 3rd will get me to ~135 mph. For wheels I am using some 17" Cobra wheels.

I will be using  PimpX as the ECU so it will be completely tunable and allow me to setup some sort of traction control, launch control as well as map how and when the turbo kicks in. Turbo cars are normally kind of peaky, that is the power comes on strong and fast, so with a digital boost controller the ECU can flatten the power band some and make it feel like a normally aspirated or supercharged car. Power steering will be an electronic unit from a Saturn Vue. I have an electronic controller to allow me to tune the steering resistance. I should be able to let the ECO tune the resistance according to speed so when I am pulling into a parking spot there will be no resistance while at speed it will offer some resistance to prevent over corrections.

It is as bare bones as I can get it.

• Like 6
Just now, SWJewellTN said:

Just don't post pictures of the wreck. That still makes me want to cry. :cry:

Wreck????what wreck ?

It was a beautiful ride for sure

I still have the '03, but I may sell the '14 and pick up a Dodge Demon or wait to see what the next 500 has to offer.

• Like 1
Just now, MikeW said:

Wreck????what wreck ?

It was a beautiful ride for sure

I still have the '03, but I may sell the '14 and pick up a Dodge Demon or wait to see what the next 500 has to offer.

I'll try to be succinct. 

1. I was on the open track at Beech Bend for my third run in Sept 2008.

2. After shifting to 4th and at WOT something gave way. It appeared from the audience that I blew a head gasket, but I think that it was the smaller coolant hose that goes under the harmonic balancer.

3. Radiator fluid dumped all over my rear tires placing me on a skating rink. 

4. I crossed lanes and hit the wall somewhere south of 100 MPH. I bounced off the wall, crossed back over and struck the wall for my lane.

5. Car totaled. I hit hard enough that the 14" front brake rotor on the left side broke in half. I walked away badly bruised, but at least I walked away.

• Like 1
Just now, SWJewellTN said:

I'll try to be succinct. 

1. I was on the open track at Beech Bend for my third run in Sept 2008.

2. After shifting to 4th and at WOT something gave way. It appeared from the audience that I blew a head gasket, but I think that it was the smaller coolant hose that goes under the harmonic balancer.

3. Radiator fluid dumped all over my rear tires placing me on a skating rink. 

4. I crossed lanes and hit the wall somewhere south of 100 MPH. I bounced off the wall, crossed back over and struck the wall for my lane.

5. Car totaled. I hit hard enough that the 14" front brake rotor on the left side broke in half. I walked away badly bruised, but at least I walked away.

I remember it... I trying to keep it off of your mind. I am glad that you walked away from that one.

3 hours ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

Here is the beginning of mine. It is a home built Caterham. The passenger tub will be skinned in aluminum and I am debating on either leaving the rest completely open for everyone to see or skinning it. I am seriously considering skinning it in canvas, like a WWI plane, then use resin to add some rigidity.

I was hoping to have it on wheels today but not sure I can get that far ahead.

file.php?id=54303&t=1

The frame weighs ~120 pounds and it should weigh less than 1,300 pounds with me in it. And with ~300RWHP from a 2.3 turbo it should do 0-60 in under 3 seconds and the quarter in under 10 but this isn't being built for straight line blasts but for going around corners. It will spend a lot of time on the Dragon when complete.

It will have a warmed over 2.3 turbo from a 1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. I will probably end up building my own intake at some point. I plan on building the fuel tank unless I can find an off the shelf one that will fit.

It will have a full race built C4 auto with Kevlar bands and clutches. The rear came out of a 1998 Mustang and has 2.79 gears which is about perfect, 1st will get me to ~55 mph, 2nd to ~90mph and 3rd will get me to ~135 mph. For wheels I am using some 17" Cobra wheels.

I will be using  PimpX as the ECU so it will be completely tunable and allow me to setup some sort of traction control, launch control as well as map how and when the turbo kicks in. Turbo cars are normally kind of peaky, that is the power comes on strong and fast, so with a digital boost controller the ECU can flatten the power band some and make it feel like a normally aspirated or supercharged car. Power steering will be an electronic unit from a Saturn Vue. I have an electronic controller to allow me to tune the steering resistance. I should be able to let the ECO tune the resistance according to speed so when I am pulling into a parking spot there will be no resistance while at speed it will offer some resistance to prevent over corrections.

It is as bare bones as I can get it.

I'd recommend building a vacuum mold and making component panels instead as you'll have a sturdier body. But FWIW I've seen guys take sheet metal, formers an English Wheel and hammers and turn out body parts to weld together.

42 minutes ago, TNWNGR said:

I'd recommend building a vacuum mold and making component panels instead as you'll have a sturdier body. But FWIW I've seen guys take sheet metal, formers an English Wheel and hammers and turn out body parts to weld together.

Watching talented people doing that is amazing! :)

13 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

Well, if you include had, rather than have, then this is the last one. 

I had this since new (Oct 96), but just got tired of it. I got rid of it a couple weeks ago. With Goodyear skaterbacks (245's), it ran (2.04 60ft) 8.7 in the 1/8 and 13.5 in the 1/4 with a aluminum block PI swap and bolt-ons.

1997_Mustang_GT.jpg.078ccdd240c595c0d0eae490e855b5d0.jpg

Beech_Bend_97GT_1.jpg.ff359c97436f6fa741046dc19e58b003.jpg

I later stuck 315's on the back and 255's up front in machined FR500 style wheels.

Mods list...

Engine Mods:

2004 Aluminum block PI swap
BBK Shorty headers
MAC ProChamber o/r
MAC Flowpath 3" catback
BBK CAI
Pro-Flo 87mm MAF for 19lb hr injectors
BBK 75mm TB
Trick Flow Plenum (no track times yet since installing)

Drivetrain Mods:

4R70W to TR3550 swap
Tremec 3550 aluminum bell housing
Stock Ford flywheel
B&M Ripper Shifter
Ford Racing King Cobra HD Clutch Kit
Steeda HD Clutch cable and quadrant
BBK Firewall clutch adjuster
Ford racing aluminum driveshaft
Ford racing 3:73 gear
TA aluminum rear support

Suspension Mods:

BBK Specific rate springs (1.5" drop)
BBK Offset rack bushings
Hotchkis Upper and lower control arms
Maximum Motorsports CC Plates

Fuel System:

Ford Racing 190LPH fuel pump

Tuning:

SCT Xcal2 mail order tune from Dynospeed Racing
Calibrated for PI swap, mods, rear 02's turned off, and bumped timing for 93 pump gas.

• Like 4

I'm already thinking about my future hotrod. I'm a Mustang enthusiast, but I'm not brand loyal. If they trickle down some of that Shelby GT350 engine tech to the Mustang GT, I might bite. 

Otherwise, I'm liking the new Camaro with the LT engines.

The Challengers are sick, but I just don't think they're good enough in the twisties for me. I want a more sporty car than just a straight line muscle car. Plus, they need to get that thing down to at least 3,800lbs at some point. 

I have owned many fast classic cars in my life. My favorite was my 67 chevy p/u. I went through and got every Hp out of a 350 i could and that thing was faster than most of the cars brought to the strip I raced at. I knew my limitations but did not loose many races.

I havent had a fun car since the kids, that is about to change! I am tired of driving a minivan. Wife finnaly agreed to me building an everyday International Scout. She has no idea what she just agreed to. I will be picking up the LS1 engine and trans this week and will be looking at a couple of Scouts next week. It is going to be a lot of work just on the drive train. I will be slapping a cheap paint job on it just to not offend the HOA more than I need to. I am hoping by summer it will be on the road!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've only had one fast vehicle and it was a 1970 Chevy pickup with a 400 4 bolt main. My uncle bought it from a friend of his, then sold it to me. His friend built race car motors and was known in SE MO for his talent with GM motors especially the 400. It scared my uncle a little for me to have it since I was only 19 and he remembered how stupid he would have been with that much power in a truck that young. I never wrecked it but I never left a stopped position in a calm manner either lol. I'll try and find an old picture and scan it. It was not a beautiful truck, rather plain looking which added to the surprise. The guy who built it also had an exact duplicate of it in his garage that was showroom quality with even more horsepower. It would make a grown man cry when he started it up and you could eat off of any part of the truck it was so clean. 

Man I miss that truck!

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 2

Back years ago when I was plum dumb and had the "Need for Speed" I owned several very fast street cars and my last one was a 1971 Hemi Cuda( Baracuda) with 4.11 rear gears and Hurst 4 speed trans and 450 dyno HP under the hood. Own the car about 5 years but never drove it a lot because could not afford the top grade fuel it needed to perform as it should so I sold it for $3,000.00 more then I paid for it. Never had the need for speed any more.