Show me your FAST cars and trucks!

JohnC

I daily drive a `13 V6 Mustang, 305BHP. That is enough for a daily driver.

I am really keen on the new V8 `18 Mustangs though. I am waiting to see the ratings on those.

I get a kick out of the HP wars. I owned an `87 Pontiac Trans Am GTA. It might have had like 200BHP, at most. I am too lazy to look it up. But it was the top of the line car in it's age. Modern V6's put it to shame, but they are snubbed because they aren't a V8. I have been a proponent for a while (and on here as well) about square turbo engines. But let me tell you, displacement is not the answer anymore. However, a square, turbo V8 in a domestic RWD 'Pony' care would make my knees weak.

There is nothing that has the sound of a V8 sucking it's air fuel mixture through a carb. However that isn't the world we live in today. An odd fire V8 still sounds good, but fuel injection killed it. If you want to buy a car for sound, that is one thing. I bought my V6 Mustang on the basis of $24k for a 300BHP car that gets 30MPG on the highway was un-freaking-believable when I was a young lad lusting over Countach's and Grand Nationals posted on the wall.

Although there is a part of me that gets very aroused at the idea of a 700+ BHP FACTORY, turnkey car, with a warranty. However, it is not my wallet.

Edited by Murgatroy
numbers pwn me
  • Like 1

No pictures since it's long since gone, but I had a 70 cougar xr7 that was a "family" car. Long story but everyone in the family owned it at our end time or another.  My sisters husband blew it up in 78, she was bartenders in Florida at the time  and one of her customers offered to "repair" it. Kind of an understatement since he owned his own racing team. This car has outrun more cops that I can count on both hands but not by me (I'm not that brave). Anyway once it was passed down to me. I was running down a hwy in eastern north Carolina running about 100 and my brother dares me to kick it. The dang thing picked up the front wheels. Scared the crap out of me.  I babied it for the rest of the time I owned it, had a couple of run ins with the law but nothing major, other than a state trooper telling me he sure was glad I didn't run cause he didn't have enough car to catch it.  Got on hard times and sold it, told the guy who bought it to change the oil before trying to drive it home but he didn't listen and blew it up before he made it home.  I hated that. 

15 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

But let me tell you, displacement is not the answer anymore. However, a square, turbo V8 in a domestic RWD 'Pony' care would make my knees weak.

Its still the answer.   Add those two cylinders back to the v6 and keep the turbos and make more power.  There is never enough power.  and big inches is the way to get there. 

Also, I see a lot of decently quick cars in this thread but I don't see any fast ones.  Where are the 200+ mph cars? 

3 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

Where are the 200+ mph cars? 

I'm guessing that SWJewellTN's boosted GT500 could have gotten pretty darn close. Out of the box with the governor removed, they'll get to 175 or so. I know the GT500 can top 200 with the right mods and setup and a good track/salt flats.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Friend of mine put down 620 rwhp 559 tq in a CTSV

image.jpeg.d5fd55a908f3febfd998745fc43e2 

IMG_2260.JPG.4f2fe12521e79e9f94c4e80df1d 

He's in the fast Caddy... :) 

Cool car, what mods did he make? Mostly I'm curious if he upgraded the differential. 

In my automotive days, I worked on development of the CTS-V. I got to go for a ride in a prototype "super CTS-V" that had the blown LS from the Z06 the they said they'd boosted up near 600 hp. Problem was, they couldnt get the diff to live very long and the bosses wouldn't buy off on a caddy with more power than the vette, so it never saw the light of day.  It was a fun ride though. :) 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, peejman said:

Cool car, what mods did he make? Mostly I'm curious if he upgraded the differential. 

In my automotive days, I worked on development of the CTS-V. I got to go for a ride in a prototype "super CTS-V" that had the blown LS from the Z06 the they said they'd boosted up near 600 hp. Problem was, they couldnt get the diff to live very long and the bosses wouldn't buy off on a caddy with more power than the vette, so it never saw the light of day.  It was a fun ride though. :) 

Stock diff....

Yes, I painstakingly went through his build and read every mod he listed. 

12 hours ago, peejman said:

the bosses wouldn't buy off on a caddy with more power than the vette, so it never saw the light of day.  It was a fun ride though. :) 

They must have had a sort-of change of heart as the current one is very close. The 2017 CTS-V dumps out 640HP and 630 lb-ft of torque from its supercharged LT4, sending the 4-door sedan to 200mph. The current Z06 Corvette provides 650 of each but is only rated to 195mph. Strange.

• Admin Team
1 hour ago, monkeylizard said:

I don't need to go fast. I need to go anywhere! That Toyota pickup is all kinds of cool! That's an incredible find.

I've seen that thing sitting out front a few times and my wife tells me to keep my eyes on the road.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

They must have had a sort-of change of heart as the current one is very close. The 2017 CTS-V dumps out 640HP and 630 lb-ft of torque from its supercharged LT4, sending the 4-door sedan to 200mph. The current Z06 Corvette provides 650 of each but is only rated to 195mph. Strange.

Less is still less. At the time, it would have been around 100hp more than the vette. 

Id guess the top speed difference is gearing. The vette never has been geared for top speed. It typically tops out part way through 5th and 6th is just for gas mileage.