Gander Mountain

JoeCorrado

Someone on here posted the other day that they will price match. I didn't know that. But I've looked at their sales ads as well as regular prices and they always seem really high. Also with online sales as popular as they are, I wouldn't be surprised if this happened. I don't mind spending a little more in a small local owned store but I'd never be able to afford anything if Gander was my only option. Although I hate to see any company go out of business. 

I just read about this on another forum and missed it here.  Does not surprise me.   I have not  darkened their door in years.   Maybe why I am receiving those big percent off coupons, received 20% jus this AM.  They are trying to create cash.

https://bearingarms.com/beth-b/2017/02/16/national-sporting-goods-store-is-filing-for-bankruptcy/

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news-business/20170218/gander-mountain-questions-latest-twist-to-outdoor-retailer-story

http://www.startribune.com/gander-mountain-responds-to-bankruptcy-rumors/413849013/

http://www.morrisherald-news.com/2017/02/13/gander-mountain-the-latest-victim-of-internet-age/aidib77/

I have only been in the Knoxville store about six maybe seven times since it opened.  Each trip I found prices really high, service really poor, and I have yet to buy anything out of all of those trips.  I finally gave up trying.

My neighbor and I was out browsing pawn shops back before Christmas and he wanted to go to Gander Mtn so we did. I saw they had 22LR SV on sale at a decent price so I bought a couple of boxes. The next week I was at Academy and they had the same thing for .25 less a box regular price. The moral is that Gander Mtn. sale prices are still higher than Academy's regular price. :bored:

• Like 1

Many moons ago I went to Coal Creek Armory to buy a Glock. After standing at the counter for twenty minutes and being ignored, I drove down the road to Gander Mountain and paid $100 more for it. I got stellar customer service and the counter jockey spent nearly an hour with me letting me go back and forth with the 17 and 19, trying on holsters etc. 

I know I paid too much, but the service at the time was worth it. I didn't go back to CCA for several years, they had been sold by then. I understand at least twice more since then.

I have bought a handful of guns from Gander, but only when the price was comparable, it was what I 'had to have' at the time, or they were the only one who had it in stock.

They sure are proud of their stock though. 

After Academy opened, I don't know how they stayed in business.

Many years later and a little farther north, believe it or not, but on ammo, Cabela's beats Academy most of the time. It is a nice predicament to have.