POS Dillon 550 about to get the 5lbs sledge hammer treatment

I'm at my wit's end with my 550. The last 5 hours I've spent reloading have probably netted about 100 rounds. Today was no exception. I spent over an hour to get 32 rounds, which used 232 primers. How the hell does that happen you might ask. Well, I'll tell you. I loaded 32 rounds with only about 20 problems before I ran out of primers, then I put 100 primers in the tube only to have them end up all over my garage when they fell straight through. I thought it might have been because I had the handle down, so I put it back up and watched the next 100 do the same thing.

Now, before I buy 10,000lbs of C4 and take this thing out to the dessert and blow it into pieces that even CSI mother ********** Miami wouldn't be able to positively identify, can anyone give me an idea what the problem might be? The last two times I've reloaded I've had to order parts before I could continue. If I have to order another part, I'm going the C4 route.

• Like 1

If you haven't already, I'd call Dillon and discuss it with them.  It is my understanding that their customer support is outstanding.

For what it's worth, I've had my 550B for about a year, and never experienced what you are describing.  In fact it has worked flawlessly since I first set it up.

OK....I just went and looked at mine, and the only way I can see the primers coming out is if the Primer Feed Stop Pin, (part #14051 on the drawing), is missing or stuck back.  That's on page five of my instruction book.

Edited by Bob T
spelling
  • Like 2

Well, I may have to once again wait on a part. I called twice because the first lady I spoke with apparently misunderstood my request for troubleshooting assistance with a threat to pee in her Wheaties. After about three minutes of attitude I "accidentally" hung up on her. The second guy was much more helpful. Wish me luck with part replacement #3.

Remove the primer stop spring and pin, clean pin and bore.  I've lost a few primers once and a dirty stop pin was the issue. Hell i'm to lazy to swap the magazine tubes and leave the large (red tip) installed. Every now and then I have to flip a small primer, not recommended if you reload on autopilot. There is a set screw under primer stop spring to adjust primer slide travel, check that primer cup is under mag tube.  The wear parts are cheap enough to have on hand. My shell plate bolt is worn but thick teflon tape on threads stops it from tightening during use.  

Also curious what other problems you have had.

Save the C4 for a better project LagerHead LOL.

My 550 is pushing 30 years old and Dillon did a rebuild on it a few years back. But I had the same problem you mention at one time.

Dillon replaced my primer tube and sent me several new tips for it as well. All for free after I sent an e-mail explaining the issue.

I keep a brass brush on my table and use it to keep the primer seating cup clean of residue. I tend to get "funk" buildup on the outside edges of the primer seating cup that will prevent the cup from coming completely back underneath the primer tube causing a very slight misalignment preventing a primer pickup. I just make sure I knock off that debris about every 1K-2K rounds. I also disassemble the primer pickup bar mechanism every 5K rounds or so and clean it up the same brass brush...no lube..and my 550 runs great. I am only loading 9mm on it at present and load at least 10 k per year. Works great for me.

There's better uses for the C4! :)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Raoul said:

You know my biggest problem with the progressives is powder handling. I don't think any of them have it figured out.

Now that I've calmed down a bit, care to expound a little? Are you talking about how difficult it can sometimes be to dial in your charge?

13 hours ago, ARO Matt said:

That'd do it. Sucks to lose some primers, but glad it wasn't something major. Knock on wood my 550b has run great. What other parts have you had issues with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to replace the primer seating cup spring (14033) and I somehow lost the primer feed stop ping (14051). I now have several of each on hand just in case.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a couple 550B problems, always user error [unless it was a worn part from major use]

I hope you were kidding about pissing in Dillon CS's wheaties, always had 100% positivity from them, what few times I have needed them.

Before you buy any C4, I will give you $100 American cash, you send me all your Dillon, I will pay postage/shipping, and $50 extra to 

over-package/wrap it. C4 ain't cheap, allow me to help you out, eh?

Just kiddin'......you don't seriously hate the 550B......it's impossible.