Winchester Ranger T-Series

I visited my local GT Distributor today and found that they had Winchester Ranger T-Series ammo available AND on sale. I had been looking for that ammo for quite a while. They had boxes of .40 S&W 180 grain, 50rs/box for $16.00/box. I grabbed two boxes. I shot most of one box at the range and it definitely had some umph to the recoil (at least it seemed that way to me vs the 165 grain fmj and Speer Gold Dots I am used to. My question is does anyone here use that ammo and if so, is it better than say the Gold Dots or HST's or is it all just a matter of preference? I have read that they are basically the Black Talon without the black Lubalox coating on them. The photos I have seen of the expanded "talons" looks super wicked. I am going to find out if they may carry any of those rounds in 165 grains.

lock n' load;

I'm a 9mm guy myself. But if the .40 S&W Ranger T-series you are referring to is the RA40T it does make Dr. Gary K. Roberts (Doc GKR) list as a recommended carry round for that caliber.

Here's one of many links to the same info:

https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/#mozTocId759557

That's a good price, and if it shoots to POA and is reliable in your handgun, I'd consider that a good purchase.

FWIW and imho most modern premium self defense ammo is quite adequate. The expanded talons do look wicked. I have seen the original Black Talons both expand and not expand in human beings. This was back in the 1990's and bullet technology has advanced considerably since that time. But seeing a few of those points (talons) protruding through the skin (transthoracic chest shot) does indeed look wicked!

• Like 1

I carry Winchester Ranger T Series RA9TA 127gr +P+ 9x19mm LEO Only Marked in my Glock 19. Sentimental reasons among others. I call them 'Bruce Bullets.'

Bruce was an officer in Jackson Mississippi. We were close friends. That was his issue ammo for his Glock 17. He would hook me up with a box every time we would get together.

The way I look at it, if they were good enough to be issued for LEO carry, they are good enough for my carry. My Glock likes them, I am accurate with them.

Bruce was killed while on duty a couple years back, so I carry them in memory of him, and if I ever need them, I like to think I will have a little extra help. I am down to my last box, well, technically, two magazines.

When you are traveling in circles like HST, Ranger, Gold Dot, etc., and you can get 50 rounds boxes of 40S&W for $16; that’s a deal. I pay almost that for range ammo and I would rather shoot Rangers.

For me personally, based on what I have seen over 40 years there was no better self-defense or duty round than the Federal Hydra Shoks. But they are getting harder to find as it appears Federal is switching over to the HST. I recently ordered a few boxes of HST. I haven’t shot any yet, but if they perform as well and are as reliable as Hydra Shoks; I’m good.

It’s crazy that all the stores are pushing these 20 round boxes that run around a $1 a round. You would think they would stock 50’s so we don’t have to order on-line.

• Admin Team
11 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

When you are traveling in circles like HST, Ranger, Gold Dot, etc., and you can get 50 rounds boxes of 40S&W for $16; that’s a deal. I pay almost that for range ammo and I would rather shoot Rangers.

For me personally, based on what I have seen over 40 years there was no better self-defense or duty round than the Federal Hydra Shoks. But they are getting harder to find as it appears Federal is switching over to the HST. I recently ordered a few boxes of HST. I haven’t shot any yet, but if they perform as well and are as reliable as Hydra Shoks; I’m good.

It’s crazy that all the stores are pushing these 20 round boxes that run around a $1 a round. You would think they would stock 50’s so we don’t have to order on-line.

The HST is a genuinely better round.  It's geometry helps it chamber reliably in a wider variety of weapons.  

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, ozo said:

Here is a video review on Federal HST 124gr standard load......in short barrels 

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/05/12/ammo-quest-9mm-federal-hst-124-grain-test/

Impressive results. I've bought a few boxes of the HST 9mm and found them to perform satisfactorily in my handguns. Of course, I've not shot ballastics gel with them. I've  just gone with them for the reports I've seen and heard form others.

I must say that I do prefer my Black Talon loads of the HST, but I'm about out of them.

My comments are strictly from feel in the guns and from my own "performance" accuracy. 

• Like 1

I had a box of Black Talon in the 90s, if I only knew ... I would've bought a truck load!  We did test it in some ice blocks, they opened into deadly petals. But it's really turned into mythical hype. I handgun hunt for deer and have used Ranger T-Series successfully for that, but I've also used Hornady XTP and they work just as well. Both open up great at low pistol velocities. 

• Like 1