A Season For Smiths

gregintenn

I haven't added a Smith and Wesson to my collection for quite some time, but recently, I ran across three different ones I just couldn't pass up.

IMG_2723_zpsmw2vlo3l.jpg

top: model 38 no dash

middle: pre 34 kit gun

bottom: 14-3 (came with box and papers)

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 8
8 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Cool. There are very few I would like to own again. My favorite was always the 36. I have one of those. I would like to have a 15 and 19 as well. That's probably about it. I never carry them anymore

I don't carry mine either. I do enjoy shooting them with my own hand loads.

2 hours ago, mikegideon said:

Cool. There are very few I would like to own again. My favorite was always the 36. I have one of those. I would like to have a 15 and 19 as well. That's probably about it. I never carry them anymore

I have a 29 that is a bit nicer than that one, or else I'd still have it. I really like the big ole N frames.

• Like 1

Nice lookin' wheel guns.  I don't have any old S&Ws.  In fact, my only Smiths are a semiauto 22A (my first .22 firearm, period - which I didn't buy until I was in my 30s - I owned shotguns as well as centerfire handguns and rifles long before I ever bought a .22) and a 642 that I bought new a couple of years ago.  Like others have said, I love wheelguns.  Unlike what others have said, I do carry them.  In fact, since getting the 642 it is my most carried gun - when I can carry (which is pretty much only when I am not at work.)

Edited by JAB
On 2/20/2017 at 4:02 PM, mikegideon said:

I would add a model 17 or preferably 18 to your list.

My 18 is among my favorite to shoot.

I have a 19 too. I consider it to be the perfect all around revolver.

On 2/20/2017 at 8:18 PM, xtriggerman said:

This 29 was the second handgun I ever bought back in 82. Its not going any where for sure! The little guy is an old 22 Taurus 5 screw copy that I bored out to 22mag. The best compliment of design is to be copied..... again & again!

taurus001.jpg

What happened to the grip on that 29?

23 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I've a 39, but no double stacks. I like the old Smith autos.

My first pistol was and still is a 39.  Looks just like yours.  Not gonna say how old I was when I got it because it's completely scandalous in this day and age.  :lol:  But I started reloading for it when I was like 13 or 14.  Didn't know what the hell I was doing but never blew it up even though looking back I certainly was challenged in the crimping department.  Came across some of the old loads many years later.  Don't understand how the even chambered...some didn't.

Picked up a 5904 a couple of years ago so I don't have to wear out the 39.  It's not as pretty but is a mighty fine shooter.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Garufa said:

My first pistol was and still is a 39.  Looks just like yours.  Not gonna say how old I was when I got it because it's completely scandalous in this day and age.  :lol:  But I started reloading for it when I was like 13 or 14.  Didn't know what the hell I was doing but never blew it up even though looking back I certainly was challenged in the crimping department.  Came across some of the old loads many years later.  Don't understand how the even chambered...some didn't.

Picked up a 5904 a couple of years ago so I don't have to wear out the 39.  It's not as pretty but is a mighty fine shooter.

My father has a model 52. It looks like a 39, but that's where the similarities end. That thing is the definition of a high quality pistol!

Garufa,

That grip used to be the stock target grip but I wanted something that fit my fingers and a rounded bottom left side for palming it in tight. I used to shoot that 29 off hand pretty good with full house loads. But then the grey hair & bifocals got in the way. :mad: