Joined the club

A.J. Holst

Thought I'd try to give a quick review now that the new has worn off.

I'll start by saying this is my first AR. I've been distracted from purchasing since my M1 Carbine rebuild and modernization journey of numbskullery is within $25 or less of being completed...One more test and one more cut...

From the above pic, the only add on is the sling, carried forward from my M1 Carbine. I'm pretty sure the sling is WWII vintage and like Martha Stewart, I'm happy to be able to repurpose it. 

I actually wanted the fixed front sight for a few reasons. I would like to learn how to shoot well with irons; it seems to be a dying art and optics break. The front sight is up/down adjustable with a spring loaded detent.

The rail gives some options, but I'm staying practical with this one.

The rear sight is a Magpul MBUS, which is a modern polymer. It seems pretty robust for a piece of plastic; I've been clicking it open and closed and I'm pretty impressed. If'n it breaks, I'll upgrade. The aperture has a large and small setting by flipping a tab of plastic. I'd be skeptical of this small piece holding up under commercial use. Under my use, probably my lifetime.

5.56 x 1:9 twist barrel

No frills front handguard, I am absolutely clueless over the quality. In keeping with my practical theme, I'm not looking to add any accessories, so it works for me.

Forward assist and dust cover - check

One 30 round PMAG Gen M2

I hated the grip and everytime I gripped it I hated it more, it had to go. Replaced it within 24 hours of purchase with a Magpul MOE + grip...Aaahhh, now I'm happy again.

Trigger seems more than acceptable.

Stock has S&W logo embossed, nice touch though it does rattle, I'm assuming they all do. Not a huge concern in my world.

I did look under the hood and everything seemed to be neat, tidy, and as it should be.

I've got to clean and lubricate, then we'll be shooting it Sunday.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think you'll regret buying the M & P.  Fine firearm.

Agree with you on shooting with irons, and I've used the Magpul BUIS on several AR's, I think they're on par with a lot of much more costly rear sights.  I notice there are a lot of polymer (fancy word for plastic) sights on the market the past couple of years, considerably cheaper than the Magpul.  You get what you pay for.  There are tough durable plastics, the kind Magpul uses; and there are crap Happy Meal Toy type plastics. 

Agree on grip too.  I've got a box full of A2 grips (the standard grip), cause I always replace them.  I may be a little bit nuts about AR's.  Think I've got about 20 right now...  (Oops, did I say that in public?  Don't tell my wife!)

• Like 1