Gander Mountain to file bankruptcy

Chucktshoes

• Admin Team
6 minutes ago, Rightwinger said:

They started liquidating last week.  I went in the Bowling Green, Ky store and was looking at some .308 Pmags and a can of bulk .308 and a salesman actually asked if he could help, I said I was looking at those items but it was high, he handed me a scannable coupon for 15% off right there.  Got what I needed at just above internet pricing but no wait.  Will go back by again this week to see what's in stock and on sale.

Funny, if they had been more present to help earlier on, they might not have found themselves in this current predicament.  I don't know how many Gander Mountains I've walked into over the years with money to spend only to walk out with nothing. 

I remember a case in that very store in Bowling Green where I was ready to buy 3 Stradic CI4 reels and left in frustration because they couldn't figure out who had the key last.  The manager's comment was probably telling when he said, "you can probably tell that we don't sell too many nice reels."

So I just stopped at the Knoxville location. There were tons of people flooding inside but very few buying anything.

Most items were only 10-20% off. Guns and ammo were still full price. I imagine another company may buy all the guns or they might get auctioned off.

Either way it was a waste of 10 minutes.

Was thinking about going today but I guess I'll wait. 

Got a decent deal on a used s&w revolver at the Knoxville location last week.  They didn't say so but they seemed to have a "no reasonable offer refused" attitude. 

I also see that their website is shut down...it shows only a store closing announcement, so I guess no good deals online. 

On 5/7/2017 at 8:25 PM, Ronald_55 said:

So Gander Mountain is closing and Bass Pro bought Cabela's. I guess that leaves Bass Pro and Academy as the big box. At least in my area.

Doesn't change anything over here. 

• Like 1

I headed over there to pick up a gun, I thought with the liquidation they would still price match. Nope, they are priced as marked, 5% off is the best they will do. The gun I wanted even after the "discount" was still higher then everyone else. I then headed over to Gaurdian Armory to find out they are going out of buisness as well. What is going on! Well I picked up 2 guns and 2 lowers some mags and a rifle bag really cheap. I stupidly left my ID there and went back to get it and bought a bunch of ammo some of it was so insanely low I could not pass up. I dropped more money than I wanted but the prices were WAY to good. He said it all has to go and he will go low to make to happen.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, LI0NSFAN said:

I headed over there to pick up a gun, I thought with the liquidation they would still price match. Nope, they are priced as marked, 5% off is the best they will do. The gun I wanted even after the "discount" was still higher then everyone else. I then headed over to Gaurdian Armory to find out they are going out of buisness as well. What is going on! Well I picked up 2 guns and 2 lowers some mags and a rifle bag really cheap. I stupidly left my ID there and went back to get it and bought a bunch of ammo some of it was so insanely low I could not pass up. I dropped more money than I wanted but the prices were WAY to good. He said it all has to go and he will go low to make to happen.

Hate to see Guardian go, not that I've ever bought anything there, but they had tolerable prices for a Knoxville gunstore.  

Of course you know if they go totally out of business and surrender their FFL those 4473's are going right to West Virginia, lol. :tinfoil:

Hate to see Guardian go, not that I've ever bought anything there, but they had tolerable prices for a Knoxville gunstore.  
Of course you know if they go totally out of business and surrender their FFL those 4473's are going right to West Virginia, lol. default_tinfoil.gif

He is keeping the FFL and doing home based buisness.

Guardian did have some reasonable prices, the owner was real nice, and I try to support the local shops, but most of the time that I stopped by there were people parked on the stools, just BS'ing, and you couldn't get to the counters to see what was in the cases.

7 minutes ago, LI0NSFAN said:

He is keeping the FFL and doing home based buisness.

Gonna stop by there in the morning regardless.  Did you notice any cool old guns?  

1 minute ago, i1afli said:

Guardian did have some reasonable prices, the owner was real nice, and I try to support the local shops, but most of the time that I stopped by there were people parked on the stools, just BS'ing, and you couldn't get to the counters to see what was in the cases.

The stools are bothersome.  Every GS that has them always has someone parked on top blocking the showcase.   It's neighborly and all but aggravating.

Gonna stop by there in the morning regardless.  Did you notice any cool old guns?  

Not sure what it was but it looked like an old flint lock. Someone was looking at it and I think he said it was $350 and the guy said it was a good deal. There were some glocks, sigs, and 2 revolvers. The ruger americans he had were priced very nicely. I would have bought A LOT more but time and money ran out.

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I went to gander mountain this evening. 10% off ain't a going out of business sale!.

Exactly. A couple of months ago they were sending out 20%-off coupons every other week...better deals then.