Vacuum sealers

30 minutes ago, Mark A said:

I was in a couple of Home Depot's over the weekend. They had a big box of hand and feet warmers on clearance. The hand warmers were 10 pair for $6.00 and the feet ones were 5 pair for $6.00

These come wrapped in individual packets so no worrying about opening and resealing a big bag...

As I mentioned earlier, I've never tried the handwarmers in lieu of dedicated o2 absorbers. How well have they worked for you Mark?

I'm definitely open to options...

I've only used O2 absorbers a couple of times. I had to buy a bunch and the majority went bad because they were all packaged together and after I opened them I found that out. So, I vacuum can (or dry can, whichever you want to call it)

I do know that both hand warmers and O2 absorbers use the oxidation of powdered iron to generate the heat and consume oxygen in the process. I have friends that use them all the time. I just don't have the personal experience. The main thing I like is that (especially now) they are generally cheaper and they are packaged individually. It would only cost a dollar or 2 to do a side by side comparison and see if you can tell any difference

Mark

For those of you that want to try the jar sealers, and don't have the attachment on your bag sealers, you can simply use a pistol vacuum for the same results.

I use a Waring pistol vac, but I have seen some [off-brand] lately for $20 on Amazon.

We use it every day for something, leftovers, half jar/can of things like pasta sauce. spiralized veggies, almost limitless for things.

Even if you have a big sealer, [mine doesn't live on the counter] the pistol vac is much handier for daily use.

We, of course, also use it for dry-canning just about anything else for storage......pantry, fridge, or freezer.

If you want fast and easy dehydrated meat.......When I catch lean meat on sale, I grind it in a food processor, spice it how I wish,

then use a jerky cannon and put it directly onto my dehydrator trays. I do suggest a good jerky gun. I have tried several cheap

ones [blah], which some dehydrators will come with, but my favorite is the LEM (The Original) Jerky Cannon.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

w00t! has a FoodSaver on sale. I don't know if that's a good price or a good model. Just passing along the sale.

http://home.woot.com/plus/foodsaver-technology-vacuum-sealing-system?ref=hm_cnt_wp_1

They are $175 on Amazon at the moment, so it's a great price. It also has the Accessory switch,

so you can also use the jar sealers.

From their site:

" The unit also has an accessory button, allowing you to evacuate air and keep your food fresh with all FoodSaver Containers and Canisters."

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...