Tragic situation at a Florida police training event

JAB

I hadn't heard much about this, before.  This morning I saw where the officer involved is being charged and the Chief is on suspension.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/state/chief-of-policeofficer-charged-in-death-of-grandmother-killed-during-citizen-academy-training

My question is, why in the hell were they using real firearms in the first place in a training event, especially one with non-police citizens involved?  Yeah, I know they were 'supposed' to be loaded with blanks but if the rule about never pointing a (real) firearm at something you don't intend to destroy had been observed this would not have happened.  I realize that airsoft guns or laser marking guns may not be as realistic for training purposes but I think that some concessions have to be made in training events such as this, especially when there is a chance (and, in this case, more than a chance as it actually happened) that an innocent person could be shot - not once but three times - by an officer in training.

Now a lady is dead and an officer's life is ruined all because the decision was made to risk using firearms that were capable of firing live, lethal ammunition as part of this training.  I hope that, at the very least, this incident results in any department that is or was using real firearms with 'blanks' changing the way they do the training and using equipment that cannot fire real ammo.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

When will people learn? What a shame and a tragedy.

I don’t know all the facts but I can’t think of a reason this isn’t reckless/negligent.

Concur. Glock makes a specific G-17/22 sized primer fired pistol for firearms training that's well worth the money spent. If the departmental budgets too tight then airsoft copy cat plastic pellet firing pistols are totally suitable with the same protective gear you'd use with the above mentioned Glock pistol. I'm going to hazard a guess that more then the two already mentioned sworn officers are going to lose their careers over this one.  

19 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Wasn't there an incident like this somewhere else a while ago?  I feeling some sense of deja vu over this.

Same incident, just now officially bringing charges.  My parents have a place in Punta Gorda.  It was definitely negligent, but I am confident it was not something intentional by someone with nefarious reasons.  

I suspect the guy "thought" he changed the ammo out, but actually didn't.  It's a tragedy all around.  It's a very nice town with great people.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, btq96r said:

Wasn't there an incident like this somewhere else a while ago?  I feeling some sense of deja vu over this.

Perhaps this is what you recall.  There was a significant lawsuit in the news recently regarding this.

http://archive.commercialappeal.com/news/suburbs/desoto/gaming-officer-killed-in-tunica-during-training-exercise-ep-890340353-324481221.html

Can't believe this happened in Punta Gorda. My grandparents have lived down there for the last 20 years and i spent a good part of my childhood running around Charlotte Harbor. It's a great area with good people. I've always carried down there and had several interactions with LEO's. They have always acted in a way that defines professionalism. Very surprised and saddened by this report.