Anyone have a handgun in an "unusual" caliber? Post them up for all to see . . . .

ZoidMeister

On 2/23/2017 at 2:37 PM, ZoidMeister said:

I love the M1 Carbine in .30 Cal so much that I started looking for a handgun in the caliber to match.  My search led me to both of these.  An AMT/IAI Automag III and a Ruger New Model Blackhawk - both in the awesome .30 Caliber Carbine.

AMT-30-001.jpg

Saw one of these on Armslist....  $1,000 :ugh: 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ZoidMeister said:

What is interesting about these "Extra's" (and why they were called that) is they are actually a "long slide" 1911.  They were probably the first 1911 style pistol that sported a barrel longer than the standard 1911 5.0" barrel.

To date, I have been able to snag four of these old Llama's and a couple more interesting newer ones.  I've actually got two of the EXTRA models.  Here is the lineup as of today.

• Llama Model IV (a rare one) - 5.5" barrel - 1941 - 9mm LUGER (this one looks to have been re-chambered long ago, was manufactured as 9mm Largo)
  • Llama Model V - 5.0" barrel - 1944 - 9mm Largo/.38 Super (certified rated for the higher pressure ammo)
  • Llama Extra Model VII - 5.5" barrel - 1933 - 9mm Largo/.38 ACP
  • Llama Extra Model VII - 5.5" barrel - 1936 - 9mm Largo/.38 ACP
  • Llama Model IX-A - 5.0" barrel - 1977 - .45 ACP (this one sports a "white metal" finish - I think the bluing was polished off and some protective coating applied, but more research into it is needed)
  • Llama Model XI-B - 4.25" commander barrel - 1981 - 9mm Luger (pristine condition)

I just realized that I need to take more photos of this collection.  I only have five of the six showing.  The one that is missing is the youngest, the Model XI-B in 9mm Luger (1981).

Llama%20Collection%20-%20001.JPG

Llama%20(Model%20IV)%201911%20-%20001.JP

Llama Model IV (1941)

Llama%20Model%20V%20-%20001.JPG

Llama Model V (1944)

Llama%20Extra%20(Model%20VII)%201911%20-

Llama%20Extra%20(Model%20VII)%201911%20-

Llama EXTRA Model VII (1933)

I have had a few 380 Llama's over the years and still regret letting them get away from me but at the time I was wanting something else and let them go. I enjoyed shooting them a lot and they are very well made..................JMHO

• Like 1
On 2/23/2017 at 6:33 PM, MP5_Rizzo said:

An old college buddy of mine had a .357 Maximum back in the day and if I recall correctly I think the Max was right up there with the .30 carbine in report and flash.

I still have a 357 maximum 10" contender. While the factory loads were rather anemic, 158 grain@1575 fps or so, handloads would produce 200 grain@ 2100 fps or so. Definatly get some attention.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2017 at 0:55 PM, ZoidMeister said:

Interesting caliber.  I just picked up a CZ-52 in 7.62 Tokarev a few months ago.  I haven't been out to shoot it yet.  The nice thing about the CZ is that this gun fits PERFECTLY in all my 1911 holsters, even the Blackhawk Serpa's.

Just need to get a range trip scheduled . . . .

CZ-52P-02.jpg

You're gonna love this little gun! I've got two of them and they are unbelievably accurate even with the surplus ammo. They have a bit of recoil and I've found the trigger guard can remove skin from your trigger finger. It will also fling empty cases about two or three shooting bays over. Often when you change mags you'll notice all the other shooters around you are staring.

• Like 2

I have a Charter Pit bull revolver in 9mm Federal. It has a 3 inch barrel and shoots a rimmed 9mm luger cartridge(think 45 autorim but in 9mm). They only made them in this caliber for 2 years in the early 90's. You can't buy new cases for it but you can use 38 s&w cases to make them. With one of my reloads I have been able to shoot 1.5 inch groups at 25 yards off of sandbags in single action.