Anyone have a handgun in an "unusual" caliber? Post them up for all to see . . . .

ZoidMeister

20 minutes ago, ZoidMeister said:

The biggest crowd pleaser I have is this one . . . . . .

S&W 460 XVR in .460 Magnum.  It's also somewhat of an "unusual" caliber.  She also shoots .454 Casull, another oddball, and .45LC which is not common, but not weird.  So I get a two-fer on this one.

S&W 460XVR - .460 Magnum & .454 Casull

I was just eyeballing the one in the Classifieds on here.... DO WANT

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Does it come with plaster to make yourself wrist casts?

There are a couple of YouTube videos of the 50 Thunder being fired and they are a little snappy to say the least.  I've never fired any of Big magnum pistol calibers like the Casulls, S&W 460 or the 500 but I do have a T/C in the 45-70 Govt. that will get your attention with a 405 grain projectile. Not a great photo but these are mine.  The one on the bottom is my .35 Remington deer hunting pistol, it's relatively tame compared to the 45-70 Govt.

TC_Pair 35Rem and 45-70.jpg

Edited by MP5_Rizzo
  • Like 6
8 hours ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

There are a couple of YouTube videos of the 50 Thunder being fired and they are a little snappy to say the least.  I've never fired any of Big magnum pistol calibers like the Casulls, S&W 460 or the 500 but I do have a T/C in the 45-70 Govt. that will get your attention with a 405 grain projectile. Not a great photo but these are mine.  The one on the bottom is my .35 Remington deer hunting pistol, it's relatively tame compared to the 45-70 Govt.

TC_Pair 35Rem and 45-70.jpg

.45-70 pistol... cool.  

I've shot one of those 8" .460's and I thought it was noticeably nicer than a 4" .357. 

• Like 1

Don't know if this qualifes as a rare caliber but I do have one of these in my safe and shoot it once in a while and people do look at me if there is anyone in the range because it does make a real amount of noise when fired. It is a Tokarev 7.62x25.

M57_pistol_DSC4385.jpg

• Like 4
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 7:13 PM, Grand Torino said:

I have a S&W model 53 in .22 Remington Jet....basically a centerfire .22

I inherited this from my Dad along with 4 boxes of ammo, 6 SS inserts for .22lr and the apparently very rare .22LR  cyclinder that came with it. The box had a cut out for the cyclinder but I understand Smith used the same box to sell the ones without the cyclinder....just didn't punch out the hole.

32264424093_7258d9b3a1_b.jpg

I inherited a M-53 from my father in near the same condition with the S&W target grips and an S.D. Myers floral engraved holster. Its a loud fire breathing .22 center fire cartridge and expensive as well, have you sent yours back to S&W to be fitted with a .22 LR cylinder or do you use the cartridge adapter inserts?

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:35 AM, bersaguy said:

Don't know if this qualifes as a rare caliber but I do have one of these in my safe and shoot it once in a while and people do look at me if there is anyone in the range because it does make a real amount of noise when fired. It is a Tokarev 7.62x25.

M57_pistol_DSC4385.jpg

I have one of these and it is a very loud and fast round. I think they are good firearms.

1 hour ago, Camaro_nut2001 said:

I have one of these and it is a very loud and fast round. I think they are good firearms.

Yep, loud for sure and fast and accurate rounds. I had a buddy get one and he let me shoot it and I fell in love with it but it's a lot of gun to carry so it stays in the safe a lot. I have I think 3 or 4 sealed ammo boxes of factory ammo I bought back years ago for I think $89.00 a can. I don't think  you can order the factory boxes of the ammo any longer. Now as for loud, I normally wear ear plugs at the range but when I take the Tok I take my heavy duty muffs and it's still loud..............:cheers:  

• Like 1
On 2/25/2017 at 11:35 AM, bersaguy said:

Interesting caliber.  I just picked up a CZ-52 in 7.62 Tokarev a few months ago.  I haven't been out to shoot it yet.  The nice thing about the CZ is that this gun fits PERFECTLY in all my 1911 holsters, even the Blackhawk Serpa's.

Just need to get a range trip scheduled . . . .

CZ-52P-02.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ZoidMeister said:

Interesting caliber.  I just picked up a CZ-52 in 7.62 Tokarev a few months ago.  I haven't been out to shoot it yet.  The nice thing about the CZ is that this gun fits PERFECTLY in all my 1911 holsters, even the Blackhawk Serpa's.

Just need to get a range trip scheduled . . . .

CZ-52P-02.jpg

Just don't put much faith in the decocker.

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

With the ones I've had, it's about a 50/50 shot as to whether you get a click or a bang when activating the decocker lever.

I've not experienced any decocker issues with mine but then I do not have a CZ either. I have a Yugo M57. What ever one you have take care with that issue. Also be careful to make sure you have adequate ear protection when you visit the range............jmho

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I've not experienced any decocker issues with mine but then I do not have a CZ either. I have a Yugo M57. What ever one you have take care with that issue. Also be careful to make sure you have adequate ear protection when you visit the range............jmho

Did you know that M57's originally did not have a safety at all?  It was added after the fact so it could be imported into the US.  Thankfully, they were added at the original factory (Zastava) so they actually work, unlike the Romanian versions.  Plus it's 1911 style which works and looks much better.

27 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

As you said, the CZ is a totally different pistol from the Tokarev. I was only referring to the CZ52.

14 hours ago, Garufa said:

Did you know that M57's originally did not have a safety at all?  It was added after the fact so it could be imported into the US.  Thankfully, they were added at the original factory (Zastava) so they actually work, unlike the Romanian versions.  Plus it's 1911 style which works and looks much better.

Yea I knew that Garufa as I did a bunch of research on it right after I got it. When I first got it back years ago I really enjoyed shooting it but as the years have passed it goes to the range less and less. It's a lot of firearm for a man that is about half what he was 10 years ago when it comes to strenght. It take me both hands and a lot of grip to squeeze off rounds from it these days. My son has spoke up and said when I got ready to get rid of it he wanted it and I told him he would get it when I was ready. Just not ready yet...................:cheers:

• Like 1

Adding to the list - here is another unique OLD 1911 you just don't see every day.

This is a Spanish Llama "EXTRA" (Model VII) made in 1933.  It says 9mm/38 on the side of the slide, but it refers to 9mm Largo (9x23mm) and not 9mm Luger/Parabellum (9x19mm).  The .38 refers to .38 ACP, not Super.  These old Llama's are not the cheap stuff Stoeger imported from the 1950's to today.  These are real, tried n true, war horses that are a find when they come up.  Significantly under-appreciated series, if you are looking for one.

I've been fortunate to capture a couple of these . . . non-import marked . . . .

Llama%20Extra%20(Model%20VII)%201911%20-

Llama%20Model%20V%20-%20005.JPG

Llama%20Model%20V%20-%20010.JPG

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Camaro_nut2001 said:

WOW, what an Awesome find!!!!! Truly a wonderful firearm!!

What is interesting about these "Extra's" (and why they were called that) is they are actually a "long slide" 1911.  They were probably the first 1911 style pistol that sported a barrel longer than the standard 1911 5.0" barrel.

To date, I have been able to snag four of these old Llama's and a couple more interesting newer ones.  I've actually got two of the EXTRA models.  Here is the lineup as of today.

• Llama Model IV (a rare one) - 5.5" barrel - 1941 - 9mm LUGER (this one looks to have been re-chambered long ago, was manufactured as 9mm Largo)
  • Llama Model V - 5.0" barrel - 1944 - 9mm Largo/.38 Super (certified rated for the higher pressure ammo)
  • Llama Extra Model VII - 5.5" barrel - 1933 - 9mm Largo/.38 ACP
  • Llama Extra Model VII - 5.5" barrel - 1936 - 9mm Largo/.38 ACP
  • Llama Model IX-A - 5.0" barrel - 1977 - .45 ACP (this one sports a "white metal" finish - I think the bluing was polished off and some protective coating applied, but more research into it is needed)
  • Llama Model XI-B - 4.25" commander barrel - 1981 - 9mm Luger (pristine condition)

I just realized that I need to take more photos of this collection.  I only have five of the six showing.  The one that is missing is the youngest, the Model XI-B in 9mm Luger (1981).

Llama%20Collection%20-%20001.JPG

Llama%20(Model%20IV)%201911%20-%20001.JP

Llama Model IV (1941)

Llama%20Model%20V%20-%20001.JPG

Llama Model V (1944)

Llama EXTRA Model VII (1933)

• Like 4