FFL and safe payment

Frenchs24

So i found a really good deal online on an arizona "classifieds" website.. contacted the person using the email address from ad... seems kinda fishy, dunno why but doesnt seem right... is there a way i can ensure im getting the gun before i pay this individual... just seems to good to be true

13 minutes ago, Frenchs24 said:

just seems to good to be true

You know what they say.  As it will have to go through a FFL, you pick one near the seller. Send the seller to the FFL after you talk to the dealer. Ask for a phone call when the firearm shows up for transfer.

I got burned many years ago in an online transaction to the tune of around 3k.  (Was NOT a firearms transaction).  Since then I have been very careful and have not been burned again.  I do not send money orders.  I always investigate "feedback" on sites.  (just because someone has 100 feedback points does not make the reputable.  One person that I checked out had bought 100 songs for $0.10 each.)  I exclusively use services like Paypal and buy from reputable sources or in face to face transactions.

I am like ma6907. I use Paypal for eBay purchases. In the case of a firearm transaction, which I have never done via eBay, the buyer would be required to ship from a specific FFL dealer who can verify the transaction is for the pistol you are buying. My opinion, if it's too good to be true walk away.

Got a link, some of us can smell a scam a mile away.

If you have any pictures you can do a Google Image Search. It will give you matches as well as close matches as well as the dates and websites the pictures are posted on. Most scammers pull random pictures off the internet so for me this is the first thing I do. I immediately ask for pictures so I can do a search. If the images come up ANYWHERE else I walk away. And NEVER put up WTB ads on national sites, all you will get are scammers.

I have purchased maybe a 150 + guns online ... A few bad experiences.. But all wheir resolved (mostly) 

I twice had the wrong gun sent to me... I had a rusty rifle sent to me .. these was resovled ..

I purchased a NIB pistol once .. It arrived used ... I worked out a deal with the fellow .. 

I once purchased a Charter 44spl Bulldog was said to be as NIB ..It arrived as new in box but with a broken grip frame ...I paid 200.00 shipped ( lowball bid ) and when I contacted the seller . We settled on    him sending me $75.00 .. I called Charter . They sent me a grip frame and a tee- shirt .. at no charge . So I still have my 125.00 Bulldog  .. I think I wore out my Tee-Shirt 

I sold  a Revolver to a fellow it was in great condition when I mailed it . When he got it .. It had rust spots ! We settled on $50.00 . But I sent him $75.00 ..  We have had several deals since ..

I was ready to deal with a fellow ... from a forum.. He answered a WTB post that I placed .. He was new to the forum ( only two posts )and he offered me a great deal ..I googled his address and looked at the aerial photo of his home .. It looked like a abandoned old service station .. so I researched futher and found that somone useing that address didn't follow through a deal and kept the money .. Atlanta PD couldn't help .. They said it was a drop address ..

So listen to your Spidy senses !!!

• Like 1
On 2/26/2017 at 10:08 PM, TN357mag said:

I have purchased maybe a 150 + guns online ... A few bad experiences.. But all wheir resolved (mostly) 

I twice had the wrong gun sent to me... I had a rusty rifle sent to me .. these was resovled ..

I purchased a NIB pistol once .. It arrived used ... I worked out a deal with the fellow .. 

I once purchased a Charter 44spl Bulldog was said to be as NIB ..It arrived as new in box but with a broken grip frame ...I paid 200.00 shipped ( lowball bid ) and when I contacted the seller . We settled on    him sending me $75.00 .. I called Charter . They sent me a grip frame and a tee- shirt .. at no charge . So I still have my 125.00 Bulldog  .. I think I wore out my Tee-Shirt 

I sold  a Revolver to a fellow it was in great condition when I mailed it . When he got it .. It had rust spots ! We settled on $50.00 . But I sent him $75.00 ..  We have had several deals since ..

I was ready to deal with a fellow ... from a forum.. He answered a WTB post that I placed .. He was new to the forum ( only two posts )and he offered me a great deal ..I googled his address and looked at the aerial photo of his home .. It looked like a abandoned old service station .. so I researched futher and found that somone useing that address didn't follow through a deal and kept the money .. Atlanta PD couldn't help .. They said it was a drop address ..

So listen to your Spidy senses !!!

Great advice.  Thanks for sharing this.