AR Takedown pin detent mod

ive got those on a couple of sig 556 rifles, theyre nice for sure, maybe i like the challenge of using that 440 grubbscrew without launching it lol heck i dunno.i do change pistol stuff around, i use the knurled knobs on the 3g rifle for fast fixes... ill have to think about this.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/26/2017 at 9:30 PM, Dustbuster said:

Was checking on a mod using 4-40 set screws to keep AR takedown pin detent springs in. pretty simple per a bunch of tube videos. its ocd as hell,but i like the mod,and the idea of reducing spring launches on the bench!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Dustbuster,

I've been doing this for over 10 Years to every Lower I assemble. It's really Quick & Easy With the Tap, Set Screws & Allen wrench for those Tiny set screws.. 

Thats the way that I Modify the Lowers that I assemble and it's worked Great for well over a decade. 

That Spikes Tactical (Green Filled) Zombie 300 Blackout with the Troy Rail & the Ace Stock that I sold you in 2013 was modified that same way. It's Really Easy & so quick for me to do right then and Just be done with it for Good. ( and anyone else too). Doing away with the aggravation for Everyone makes it worth while :-) . Once you start doing them that way my friend, you'll never go back to the old way ever again! 

I forget the maker but there is a factory lower with this mod.

Doing this modification is really easy too. The tap is not really tight fitting so you would have to try hard to break it. Still plenty of thread for the set screw. Do not tap all the way in, all you need is for the shortest 4-40 setscrew to be slightly below flush.

I would also suggest you finding a drill bit that fits tightly in the hole. Then run that drill bit back into the hole after you tap it. If not the spring can sometimes bind on the material raised by cutting the threads. 

• Like 1