replacement medals

ironsniper1

hey everyone, my grandfather is wanting to make a display of all the medals and awards he got in the airforce, however over the years and a few moves he has lost a lot of them (would be nice to find replacement parches too but thats a little harder i am sure) and so i am trying to help him find replacements but i am having a hard time figuring this out, so i was hoping maybe someone here was in the airforce between the 50's and 70's or had a family member in there and can help me decipher this document and figure out what he got and what he is missing

the first picture is of what he has, some of them are old and some are replacements from the va or national archives or something i cannot remember as it has been a very long time since we got them and the second picture is the list of awards and stuff he got, if you need more pictures please let me know.

medals.jpg

Resized_20170225_140556.jpg

1 minute ago, TrickyNicky said:

I'm sending the document and current medals to my dad. He's an airforce and history buff so hopefully he can figure something out.

thank you very much! theres more to that page and if you need more pics let me know and if there is any personal info i will redact it

Your Grandfather should be able to get replacement medals from here at no cost.

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/replace-medals

If he doesn't have his DD-214, (Discharge papers that will list which ones he received) he can get a replacement here: If he doesn't have one, I highly recommend getting a replacement, it serves other purposes.

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/about-service-records.html

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

Your Grandfather should be able to get replacement medals from here at no cost.

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/replace-medals

If he doesn't have his DD-214, (Discharge papers that will list which ones he received) he can get a replacement here: If he doesn't have one, I highly recommend getting a replacement, it serves other purposes.

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/about-service-records.html

thats where we went last time, i downloaded a form from there and filled it out and got him to sign it and sent it in and some of the medals in the first picture in my original post are what he got but he is saying he did not get all of them

The archives route is the "right way" if you have all your paperwork in a row...but will take time to process.  I had to request a copy of my discharge certificate, and that took about two months.

If someone can translate his DD214 (it's obviously well before my time), then you can order from Medals of America and have everything in about a week or two depending on shipping if you feel like ponying up the cash.  A veterans service organization would probably have someone who could guide decoding of the DD 214 if there is a stumbling block somewhere.

Let me know if I can help with anything along the way.

Thanks for that, if I remember correctly we went the archives route the first time but after doing some research if you served during a certain time period your files were kept in a place that caught fire back in the 70's I think and that caused some issues I could be wrong

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 1
4 hours ago, luke9511 said:

Thanks for that, if I remember correctly we went the archives route the first time but after doing some research if you served during a certain time period your files were kept in a place that caught fire back in the 70's I think and that caused some issues I could be wrong

We tried to have my grandfather's WWII Marine Corp medals reissued a few years ago, and his records were destroyed. 

Looks like the paperwork shows the following missing from the case* :

Vietnam Campaign Medal - RVN

Korean Service Medal - US

United Nations Korea Medal - UN

Theres another medal he may be eligable for, the Koreans awarded them to allied soldiers, but the US didnt except them at the time but have since then.

*He would need to see the DD-214 to be sure, some of these require specific service in specific places between specific time frames.

My dad made a ribbon and medal layout for him using an app (yes, theres an app for that) I'll upload it to photo bucket tonight or tomorrow and post it here if you like.

Edited by TrickyNicky
I spell as poor as I smell
  • Like 2
On 3/7/2017 at 10:40 AM, luke9511 said:

stopped by and saw my grandparents last night and started talking to them and got to see my grandfathers old DD-214's and found out that during the korean war he was in texas

While the armistice ended the Korean War on 27 July 1953, the Korean Service Medal period of service was awarded for about a year after that since there were KIA remains transfers taking place.

Here's the full bit in law about what conditions merit the award:

§ 578.44   Korean Service Medal.

ret-arrow-generic-grey.gif top

(a) Criteria. The Korean Service Medal (KSM) was established by Executive Order 10179, dated November 8, 1950. It is awarded for service between June 27, 1950 and July 27, 1954, under any of the following conditions:

(1) Within the territorial limits of Korea or in waters immediately adjacent thereto.

(2) With a unit under the operational control of the Commander in Chief, Far East, other than one within the territorial limits of Korea, which has been designated by the Commander in Chief, Far East, as having directly supported the military efforts in Korea.

(3) Was furnished an individual certificate by the Commander in Chief, Far East, testifying to material contribution made in direct support of the military efforts in Korea.

(b) The service prescribed must have been performed under any of the following conditions:

(1) On permanent assignment.

(2) On temporary duty for 30 consecutive days or 60 nonconsecutive days.

(3) In active combat against the enemy under conditions other than those prescribed in paragraphs (a)(1) and (2) of this section, provided a combat decoration has been awarded or an individual certificate has been furnished by the commander of an independent force or of a division, ship, or air group, or comparable or higher unit, testifying to such combat credit.

(c) One bronze service star is authorized for each campaign under the following conditions:

(1) Assigned or attached to and present for duty with a unit during the period in which it participated in combat.

(2) Under orders in the combat zone and in addition meets any of the following requirements:

(i) Awarded a combat decoration.

(ii) Furnished a certificate by a commanding general of a corps, higher unit, or independent force that he actually participated in combat.

(iii) Served at a normal post of duty (as contrasted to occupying the status of an inspector, observer, or visitor).

(iv) Aboard a vessel other than in a passenger status and furnished a certificate by the home port commander of the vessel that he served in the combat zone.

(3) Was an evader or escapee in the combat zone or recovered from a prisoner-of-war status in the combat zone during the time limitations of the campaign. Prisoners of war will not be accorded credit for the time spent in confinement or while otherwise in restraint under enemy control. (§578.61 Appurtenances to military decorations)

(d) The arrowhead device is authorized for wear on the KSM to denote participation in a combat parachute jump, helicopter assault landing, combat glider landing, or amphibious assault landing, while assigned or attached as a member of an organized force carrying out an assigned tactical mission. Additional information on the arrowhead device is in §578.61.

(e) Description. The medal is Bronze, 11/4 inches in diameter, a Korean gateway, encircled by the inscription “KOREAN SERVICE”. On the reverse is the Korean symbol taken from the center of the Korean National flag with the inscription “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA” and a spray of oak and laurel encircling the design. The ribbon is 13/8 inches wide and consisting of the following stripes: 1/32 inch White 67101; 19/32 inch Bluebird 67117; center 1/8 inch White; 19/32 inch Bluebird; and 1/32 inch White.

There's also a new Korean Defense Service Medal that he would be eligible to get retroactively.

http://www.dmzwar.com/koreamedalcoldwarcert.html

<edit> this is in addition to the Korean Service Medal - they are two separate awards.  Also, if he was in Korean between 10/1/1966 through 6/30/1974 he can also get the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.

That would be pretty awesome if you were able to get him awarded another medal, or even two before gifting him the medal display :)

Edited by Sam1
1 hour ago, luke9511 said:

Can't edit but he did fly over Korea during the war and was shot at if that helps he could have even landed there

Have no clue on what the specifics are; think you would have to be stationed there or have it listed as a deployment on the dd-214.

23 hours ago, Sam1 said:

Have no clue on what the specifics are; think you would have to be stationed there or have it listed as a deployment on the dd-214.

Not necessarily.  Section (a), parts (1) & (2) leave open the award for those who would have flown over in a combat action.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 2