Suggestions for a .22LR Pistol

Ronald_55

I am wanting to pick up a .22LR pistol. I would prefer to go with a 3 inch or less revolver. I am having a hard time finding one that is not a RG (or similar quality ), a H&R  (or similar) antique, or just as expensive as a .38. I also want to avoid the mini revolvers like the NAA models. I may have to settle for a semi, but thought I would ask first. So any suggested models?

Just in case if you have a recommendation for a semi, toss it in too.

Thanks guys and gals.

The thing is, is a quality firearm is a quality firearm. It's not going to automatically be cheaper just because it's a .22lr. Quality .22s aren't airsoft quality or priced accordingly. Having said that,

I, personally, won't step below Ruger on the quality scale for revolvers. A SP101 or Bearcat won't be super cheap but you will get your money's worth. S&Ws are more expensive but you get even more gun for your money IMO. Colts are just ridiculously priced IMO.

For a semi auto, hard to beat a Ruger Mark or Browning Buckmark.

For a polymer pistol, I can't recommend the S&W M&P22 Compact enough. Perfect IMO.

• Like 1

Look at the charter arms pathfinder series.

It used to be that revolvers were more economical than autos. Not anymore. Also remember that it takes just as much material and labor to make a 22 as a 38. In the end you will get what you pay for. 

If it was me I'd look for a good used wheel gun rather than new, or buy a ruger mk series.

I have a Ruger LCR .22 that I like, recently bought the Ruger SP101, I like it but it shoots a little rough not sure if it just needs more use to work in or if it is just the way it is. The LCR is nice because if you want a larger caliber they feel much the same, I have one in 9mm and have been tempted to pick up a .357. They feel very similar till you feel the kick.

Semi, lots to choose from but I really like my Ruger SR22 for a small pistol. Also have the new Ruger Mark IV and it is a nice shooter.

• Like 1

I recently picked up a Ruger LCR.22 with Crimson Trace laser grips. I'm not very happy with the stock front sight, it will be replaced soon, but the laser was easily sighted in at ten yards. 

The trigger pull is a bit stiff, but that's a good thing for a pocket or purse pistol.

Not sure what you have planned for such revolver. And if you gave some hint, may better sway people's opinion. Carry? Ruger LCR 22. Trigger is heavy but smooth, but also needed to be reliable. Fun and short, trail, farm and range gun? Ruger bearcat shopkeeper. The 3" barrel is really the kicker. 

S&W M63 or S&W 317 Kit Gun both have 3" barrels, the 63 weighs 24 oz and the 317 about 12oz get ready for well over $600.00 then tax and background.  Then there is the hammerless 43C which will be at 600.00 after fees.  

I'm a big Ruger fan but not a fan of the .22LR LCR or SP101.  I am not a fan of Charter either.  

Switch to .22LR semi auto pistols and there are a whole bunch of them that run pretty darn good at prices much easier on the wallet.

I second Nightrunner's recommendation of the Ruger MK and Browning Buckmark.  Hard to beat those at the price.  

I had a lot of fun with the Phoenix HP22, tinkered with it a bit and it shot so well someone else had to have it worse then me.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Jct1911 said:

Not sure what you have planned for such revolver. And if you gave some hint, may better sway people's opinion. Carry? Ruger LCR 22. Trigger is heavy but smooth, but also needed to be reliable. Fun and short, trail, farm and range gun? Ruger bearcat shopkeeper. The 3" barrel is really the kicker. 

I would like to have a .22lr to plink, but the end game thought on this is to be a "just in case" bag gun. I wanted a short barrel because I need to keep my bag small and if I use the bag, it will need to be concealable. I know I could use a .38 or .357 for this, but weight is a factor and I want to carry a decent number of rounds too.

I also know that this sort of gun role is usually filled by cheap little models, but if I need it, I want it reliable. Also why I want a revolver. That being said, I don't want a $600 revolver languishing in a bag in the back of my car. 

I know, I want it all and I want it cheap. Us poor guys have needs too. lol

I know you said your looking for a revolver but if you go the the Semi auto route and you know someone that owns a Phoenix HP22 you may want to shoot it some if they will let you borrow it. I have one for a pocket pistol and have been to the range with it many times and it never fails to please me more each time I shoot it. Not fancy, not a real brand name and costs about $149.00 new and the gun is more gun than many people think it is. It holds 10+1 in the tube and mine has never failed feed or fire with about any brand of ammo............Just might be an option to look at.............JMHO 

• Like 2

I have 2 different friends with the HP22 in the kit with short and long barrels. Fun to shoot and accurate, for it's size, but the double safeties are a bit strange in how they interact. I had one on my want list but bought a Beretta Bobcat 21A in .22, that filled the void for a very small .22 semi for now.

• Like 1

Lots of good recommendations here, and I wouldn't turn down any if given to me. lol

I do have several 22lr guns; revolvers and auto-loaders. So I may be a bit prejudiced in my choices here.

I personally prefer the S&W revolvers. I find them easier to shoot than the autos. The 617 in about any barrel length is great, but I prefer the 4" model. I do have an older M17 that is great as well. Also have Rugers in revolver forms. The Sp101 3", and several MK II and III in 4". Of the Rugers I own, the SP101 I find the least satisfying for me.

I'll paraphrase some of the comments above, and add my spin to them. A Good 22 will rarely be found cheap. Expect to see 500-600 as a baseline for most of them. The SR22 is an exception of course.

Fondle all of them you can, and shoot them if possible. As always, what works for us may not suit you.

Good luck in your search. 

10 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I love my Bersa Thunder 22.  It's a bit finicky on ammo as are all .22's are but runs like a champ on what it does like.

It's my po' man's James Bond gun.

Never had any experience with the Bersa line. You and bersaguy are making me real curious.

12 minutes ago, hipower said:

Never had any experience with the Bersa line. You and bersaguy are making me real curious.

It's what I use to shoot up all the Remington Golden Bulllets I have.  That thing eats it like candy.  Hates other bulk ammo.  :lol:  But that's just my specimen.  I still love it and it usually stays in the range bag.

11 hours ago, tnhawk said:

If size isn't an issue I'd look at a SW22 Victory. 

Buddy of mine at work has one.  Lots of fun.  I have looked into buying one for myself and teen boys.  Just looking for that asinine deal that I can' t refuse. 

If it was going to be a "bag" gun in the trunk I would seriously consider the Bersa (Bersaman's recommendation) or even more the Phoenix HP22 Deluxe range kit with the short and 5" barrels.  THere are some youtube vids how to "fix" the Phoenix double safety and improve trigger pull.  

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

I have 2 different friends with the HP22 in the kit with short and long barrels. Fun to shoot and accurate, for it's size, but the double safeties are a bit strange in how they interact. I had one on my want list but bought a Beretta Bobcat 21A in .22, that filled the void for a very small .22 semi for now.

I guess it might just be me but I have never found the 2 safety's an issue. The slide safety remains in the fire mode at all times. with this being a hammer firearm when hammer is unloaded that is also a safety (unofficially) and then you have up & down safety. If I carry the gun with the hammer in the loaded position I have that safety on safe. with hammer down it is on fire which enables me to cock the hammer for action. Once you have spent a few days with the Phoenix it becomes far less an issue...............jmho 

I only shot the Phoenix on one outing and it was new to my friend also and it was probably operator error but as I recall the safety(s) had to be in a particular position to remove the magazine (and maybe put in a magazine) and at least one maybe both had to be off to rack the first round. Just seem strange. The friend actually bought the same gun in .22 and .25 at the same time and we thought the .25 was defective because we couldn't rack it or remove the magazine initially till we figured out the safety combinations. Neither of us have a semi with a slide safety so that was probably part of the problem.

2 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

I only shot the Phoenix on one outing and it was new to my friend also and it was probably operator error but as I recall the safety(s) had to be in a particular position to remove the magazine (and maybe put in a magazine) and at least one maybe both had to be off to rack the first round. Just seem strange. The friend actually bought the same gun in .22 and .25 at the same time and we thought the .25 was defective because we couldn't rack it or remove the magazine initially till we figured out the safety combinations. Neither of us have a semi with a slide safety so that was probably part of the problem.

I know a Kel-Tec I have will not let a mag load without pushing the mag release, but never seen the other safety.