Suggestions for a .22LR Pistol

Ronald_55

My favorites are the S&W revolvers and the Browning Buckmark. But I think I understand what you're looking for. Something fairly small, easy to conceal, well made and accurate enough for plinking or self protection. 

You might consider the Walther (Umarex made) PPK/S .22. Walther made way too many  of these in 2013-14 and they didn't catch on as hoped. There are many brand new ones still sitting on dealers shelves and many are willing to haggle to move 'em. GunBroker has a couple of pages of them and many are reasonably priced.

You've got the classic Walther  design in a light .22 pocket pistol. I will warn you that the DA trigger is a bit heavy, but smooth and will lighten with use. The guns are quite accurate and reliable with high velocity ammo. If you want, all it takes is a $20 thread adapter to make it suppressor ready.  

I stumbled into a used, like new, one for less than $250. I like it! 

On 2/28/2017 at 8:27 PM, graycrait said:

If it was going to be a "bag" gun in the trunk I would seriously consider the Bersa (Bersaman's recommendation) or even more the Phoenix HP22 Deluxe range kit with the short and 5" barrels.  THere are some youtube vids how to "fix" the Phoenix double safety and improve trigger pull.  

I have an HP22 that I bought used.  I also have a five inch barrel for it although the longer barrel is blued and the gun, itself, is the 'stainless' color.  I haven't worked up the courage to put the five inch barrel on, yet.  See, I made the mistake of field stripping a Phoenix I had in .25acp, once.  Once.  Swapping the barrels is pretty much the same procedure as field stripping.  The procedure might not be too bad if I had three hands to do the steps that need to be done as well as two mouths so I could get in all the necessary cussing while doing it.  I have a S&W 22A with a 5.5 inch barrel so I don't feel all that pressured to put the five incher on the Phoenix but I will probably get around to it one of these days.  Back when I had the Phoenix .25 I was at the range one day and another guy wanted to try it out so I let him and he let me try his Phoenix .22 with the five inch barrel installed.  It was remarkably accurate  - although I have to say that the three inch barrel, at least with mine, is more accurate than you might think.

I don't want to give the impression that I don't like the little Phoenix because I do.  The potential problem for Ronald_55's intended use, IMO, is that they are so danged heavy which might present a problem for ease of concealment in a small bag.  It is much heavier than my Kel Tec P3AT.  Based on what I found in a quick search of the 'Net, the Phoenix 22A weighs about 12.5 ounces empty while, according to their website, the Kel Tec P3AT weighs 8.3 ounces empty and, according to another source, the P3AT weighs 11.1 ounces with a loaded magazine.  So, if those sources are accurate, the P3AT + a mag loaded with 6 .380acp rounds still weighs less than the Phoenix 22A empty - if that is an issue.

Personally, if I were looking for a small semiauto, I would probably at least look in to the Taurus 22PLY.  I don't know anything about them but my mom used to have a Taurus .25 with a tip up barrel that was pretty much just like the .22 version and it worked well.  That was before the redesign/swap to a polymer frame.  The MSRP for the 22PLY is $263 so I would think that the actual, 'street price' should be down closer to $200 or so.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=695&category=Pistol&toggle=tp&breadcrumbseries=SF1

Edited by JAB

For my personal daily carry I use a Keltec P32, 6.6oz and flatter than a pack of cigarettes.  I can hit a 3" dinger at 25 yrds one handed weak hand easy enough.  I have also owned a couple of Taurus 22PLYs.  Thicker than a Keltec 32 but easy to shoot and with 60grain Aguilla SSS make a whumph sort of feel, very satisfying.  I would never ever buy the Taurus all metal tip up barrel version/copy of the Beretta Bobcat - had one of those where the frame just split down the middle. But those poly framed versions Taurus makes are robust.  I was on a mission for some time trying to find the most practical smallest carry pistol and tried to find something that beat the Keltec 32, never did find anything smaller, easy to shoot, or more reliable.  I never found the Beretta Minx, Bobcat or Tomcat to have the reliability of the little Keltecs. Next best besides the KT 32 would be the Keltec P3AT at 8.8oz, but after shooting many many .380 bullets into wet newspapers and comparing to .32 ACP I figure .32acp is good enough. 

I thought the OP wanted a .22lr. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, graycrait said:

For my personal daily carry I use a Keltec P32, 6.6oz and flatter than a pack of cigarettes.  I can hit a 3" dinger at 25 yrds one handed weak hand easy enough.  I have also owned a couple of Taurus 22PLYs.  Thicker than a Keltec 32 but easy to shoot and with 60grain Aguilla SSS make a whumph sort of feel, very satisfying.  I would never ever buy the Taurus all metal tip up barrel version/copy of the Beretta Bobcat - had one of those where the frame just split down the middle. But those poly framed versions Taurus makes are robust.  I was on a mission for some time trying to find the most practical smallest carry pistol and tried to find something that beat the Keltec 32, never did find anything smaller, easy to shoot, or more reliable.  I never found the Beretta Minx, Bobcat or Tomcat to have the reliability of the little Keltecs. Next best besides the KT 32 would be the Keltec P3AT at 8.8oz, but after shooting many many .380 bullets into wet newspapers and comparing to .32 ACP I figure .32acp is good enough. 

I thought the OP wanted a .22lr. 

Oh, the OP is looking for a .22lr.  I only brought up the P3AT for weight comparison as an example of how relatively heavy the Phoenix .22 pistol is, not as a suggestion of 'get this, instead'.  Good info about the Taurus 22PLY.  I remember when the PLY first hit the market Taurus made them in a variety of colors.  I kind of had my eye set on a yellow one as it wasn't going to be a primary carry gun just because it was a similar shade of yellow as my Mustang (car, not pistol) but now I only see the standard color grips on their website.

Edited by JAB

I've shot a friend's Taurus PT 22 that he bought @ local gun show for about 2 bills . It is double-action only & does have a desirable feature of being loadable w/o having to rack the slide. The manual that came with it says it will accept regular & hi-velocity (no stingers or other souped-up) ammo. The good old H&R 6and 9 shot revolvers have been shot loose or are just plain gone, darn it.Hope you find something you like & afford !

I absolutely loved my SR 22 pistol. Reliable, lightweight and accurate. Double action and single action with a very nice single action trigger. I cannot say one bad thing about the SR22 but I will say this. If you get one get one with a threaded barrel if this is going to be a end of times gun. That is because in a time when the rule of law is gone nothing says another human is around like a gunshot. So if this is a end of the world gun I would make sure it had a threaded barrel so you can make a silencer for it. Mine would also cycle CCI Quiet 22 ammunition with 90+% reliability with a silencer. It was so quiet all you could do was giggle.

My second choice would be an all steel Ruger MK series gun or a standard Ruger 22/45 with a threaded barrel. I am not sure I like the Lite because the threads are aluminum, or at least were. I, personally, do not like the idea of aluminum silencer threads.

Older Taurus 941 22mag 3"  pick up at GS private table $350 OTD. $50 for the grip. A keeper

P1060738_zps3s0t8ocv.jpg

P1060739_zpscc9othwz.jpg

The old model 94 is the same but with lighter barrel and 9 rounds.

rust005.jpg

If you are patient, you can find the older 3" Taurus guns. for a $3-400 dollar stainless gun, you cant go wrong on these 22 cal J frame sized guns.

Very good suggestions above.

I only recommend guns I have or did have. The Bersa Thunder is great, as is the Beretta Bobcat, Mark II, Bearcat [especially the Shopkeeper], and most of the other semi-autos mentioned above.

The S&W AirLite M317 feels like junk to me, like I'm gonna break it.....or shoot it loose. 

graycrait mentioned the S&W Model 63 .......allow me to give you a huge warning on the S&W M63-5 SS 3"bbl .22lr

DO NOT go hold/fondle/shoot one of these.......they suck...I mean they will suck you in 100% and you will never keep it far away from you.

It may even be the force that makes you go hiking/camping......go plink some cans......against your normal will [or the spouse's]

Best advice I can give you.....if you know a S&W M63-5 is anywhere near you......run, Forest, run !!

[I keep one on my desk, loaded, and walk down to the mailbox at the road with it in my pocket if I don't have my EDC on]

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

Ok, you sucked me right into that. I thought you were actually bashing the M63 :D

I apologize......[but not really, guess I was being mean and leading into a trap] 

Forgive me?

I think I might have found a 2 inch Taurus 94 to fit this role. Just happens, I saw one for sale right at a good price after xtriggerman replied. I will see if I like is as much when I get to handle it. I am still looking at possibly getting a Taurus PT-22 or a Phoenix semi as the semi option for this function. Never hurts to have options and neither of those are expensive. Since this is not my "life or death" gun and will be bounced around in a bag, I am not worried so much with it being the top of the line. Just fun, small, and reasonably reliable. 

22 hours ago, ozo said:

graycrait mentioned the S&W Model 63 .......allow me to give you a huge warning on the S&W M63-5 SS 3"bbl .22lr

DO NOT go hold/fondle/shoot one of these.......they suck...I mean they will suck you in 100% and you will never keep it far away from you.

I can see that, I have an affinity for Smith Revolvers....just not the budget most days.... 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

I think I might have found a 2 inch Taurus 94 to fit this role. Just happens, I saw one for sale right at a good price after xtriggerman replied. I will see if I like is as much when I get to handle it. I am still looking at possibly getting a Taurus PT-22 or a Phoenix semi as the semi option for this function. Never hurts to have options and neither of those are expensive. Since this is not my "life or death" gun and will be bounced around in a bag, I am not worried so much with it being the top of the line. Just fun, small, and reasonably reliable. 

I can see that, I have an affinity for Smith Revolvers....just not the budget most days.... 

I shot a Phoenix HP22 not long ago, and I didn't have any problems. 8 rounds, and I don't know what ammo. [It was one of the grandkids that said "Papa, shoot my new gun"]

I've had a PT-22 for several years, and never had it function reliably that I can remember. I do need to go test it again, and take the Mosquito with it [another nice .22lr that isn't reliable] I will say this....the PT-22 is a sweet little single shot, and will easily fit in the pocket, any pocket, VERY comfortably. I really like it, and it also gets carried around the property, to the mailbox, etc. Very easy (and fast) to use as a single shot.

[side note] I have a GSG 1911 .22lr [Birthday gift from the kids] that I put a CWA Performance Enhancement Kit on. It is 100% reliable with any ammo, but it is a full size 1911 5"bbl.

I bought a Taurus M94 SS 5" in 2001. I have heard some problems with them a couple years ago, but never had a problem with mine. It is a plow mule, a mud wrestler, and super accurate. It doesn't care what you feed it, or how much, and performs the same whether it has just been cleaned or it's covered in soot. It has seen a lot of use, and is still as tight as when new. Only one con, and the Taurus M94 is notorious for it.......it has a really heavy hammer spring......no, I mean a REALLY heavy hammer spring. Two or three cylinders in single action, and your thumb is sensitive. Always planned on filing down the spur a little, but I cringe about grinding on guns [yeah, maybe not the same thing,eh?] I just deal with it, so have the kids. I have a couple friends that have replaced the spring with lighter ones, but they have had light strikes. I leave it as is, enjoy it, and don't go fixin' anything that ain't broke. Double action is ok, but the springs are so heavy it's not near as accurate.

• Like 1

You have embarked on a difficult journey.  I have been trying to decide and a buy a .22 caliber handgun for months now.  I have had several in years past both semi-auto and revolver, but have not had one in probably 20 years.  First I had to decide what I wanted...then I realized that .22 handguns are like rods and reels for bass fishing...I need a different one for different applications.  So now I have decided I want a Ruger SR22, Full frame SA Revolver (Uberti etc.), and a Smith & Wesson 4 to 6 inch revolver or possibly a Taurus 992 or 94.  Nothing like being decisive and narrowing down the field. :unsure:  So then I decided I would just watch TGO classifieds and Armslist and go for what became available first at a decent price.  Now I learned that people in West TN and Middle TN sell guns, people in East TN buy guns.  Guess which end of the State I live in.  Oh well, I really do enjoy the hunt.  Good luck and I hope you are pleased with what you decide on.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, ozo said:

I shot a Phoenix HP22 not long ago, and I didn't have any problems. 8 rounds, and I don't know what ammo. [It was one of the grandkids that said "Papa, shoot my new gun"]

I've had a PT-22 for several years, and never had it function reliably that I can remember. I do need to go test it again, and take the Mosquito with it [another nice .22lr that isn't reliable] I will say this....the PT-22 is a sweet little single shot, and will easily fit in the pocket, any pocket, VERY comfortably. I really like it, and it also gets carried around the property, to the mailbox, etc. Very easy (and fast) to use as a single shot.

[side note] I have a GSG 1911 .22lr [Birthday gift from the kids] that I put a CWA Performance Enhancement Kit on. It is 100% reliable with any ammo, but it is a full size 1911 5"bbl.

I bought a Taurus M94 SS 5" in 2001. I have heard some problems with them a couple years ago, but never had a problem with mine. It is a plow mule, a mud wrestler, and super accurate. It doesn't care what you feed it, or how much, and performs the same whether it has just been cleaned or it's covered in soot. It has seen a lot of use, and is still as tight as when new. Only one con, and the Taurus M94 is notorious for it.......it has a really heavy hammer spring......no, I mean a REALLY heavy hammer spring. Two or three cylinders in single action, and your thumb is sensitive. Always planned on filing down the spur a little, but I cringe about grinding on guns [yeah, maybe not the same thing,eh?] I just deal with it, so have the kids. I have a couple friends that have replaced the spring with lighter ones, but they have had light strikes. I leave it as is, enjoy it, and don't go fixin' anything that ain't broke. Double action is ok, but the springs are so heavy it's not near as accurate.

Thanks for the input.

Do you know if all the GSG stuff is as good? I had a chance to trade for a hi-cap pistol a while back but passed since I had never seen GSG stuff. It wold have been more of a fun gun than a carry since it was in .22lr and screamed Machine Gun. 

2 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Thanks for the input.

Do you know if all the GSG stuff is as good? I had a chance to trade for a hi-cap pistol a while back but passed since I had never seen GSG stuff. It wold have been more of a fun gun than a carry since it was in .22lr and screamed Machine Gun. 

I have only had the one, but the kids have a few others. Haven't heard them cuss them, or rave about them.

Here is a thought that popped in my head....if you consider the Phoenix. They make a deluxe range kit that has a 5" and a 3" barrel, regular 10shot and extended 10shot magazine, gun cleaning kit, carry case, etc.  $200

060.jpg

Edited by ozo
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, tacops said:

So then I decided I would just watch TGO classifieds and Armslist and go for what became available first at a decent price.  Now I learned that people in West TN and Middle TN sell guns, people in East TN buy guns.  Guess which end of the State I live in.  Oh well, I really do enjoy the hunt.  Good luck and I hope you are pleased with what you decide on.

I have determined the same thing. The only people I see consistently selling are flippers. One guy locally puts up WTB ads all the time then turns around and flips them. He sucks up any good deals then asks retail price when he sells. 

I have resorted to Gunbroker at times. More conpetition, but more choice. I still keep an eye out though. 

4 hours ago, ozo said:

Here is a thought that popped in my head....if you consider the Phoenix. They make a deluxe range kit that has a 5" and a 3" barrel, regular 10shot and extended 10shot magazine, gun cleaning kit, carry case, etc.  $200

060.jpg

I saw that and did consider it. Still deciding on it. Sounds like a good option.

So as this thread progressed I decided to get a Bersa Thunder .380 Plus that the wife and I could both make use of as well as a Ruger SR22.  I followed all the area forums just in case someone put either on the market within reasonable distance.  Today I went into an area shop that I enjoy and behold.  There in the case was a Bersa Combat .380 though I was really looking for the "Plus" series.  I decided I liked it anyway and it looked like it needed a home.  Then I saw a Bersa Thunder .380 with Crimson Trace pink grips.  I thought my wife would really like that and then we would not have to "share".  Also, this would give the Combat a similar caliber in the household and it wouldn't feel inferior around all the other much larger calibers at home.  Oh yeah, of course I had to have some extra magazines for each and about 250 rounds of ammo for breaking in, and then more for actual carry loads.  Then as I reviewed my pile I remembered that I was looking for the SR22 which just happened to be at the far end of the case.  Yes, it fit my hand very well and I do believe I must have one, yet after a quick calculation of what I had laying in the go home with me pile in relation to cash in my wallet, I resigned myself to the reality that I was going to have to make a second trip for the SR22.  As I drove away I hoped that my wife would be pleased with the pink crimson trace grips, and remembered why I try to avoid gun shops.  So, two guns, ammo, and accessories later, I am still in the market for a Bersa .380 Plus and a Ruger SR22, only now I have an empty wallet.  

Follow-up to above:  I want to thank all those on this forum that sang the praises of the Bersa Thunders.  I stepped out back and burned some ammo and have found a couple of new favorites in the Bersa Thunders.  Triggers were really good in both single and double action, had no feed issues at all, and they were extremely accurate.  The Crimson Trace is a nice feature and I like it but I also found the sights to be quite good as well.  I give the Bersa Thunders 2 thumbs up. :up::up: I will probably still get a plus series, just because, and I may well acquire one in .22 as well for I really like the fit - feel - function of them. 

Edited by tacops
Follow up
  • Like 1