Makarov Upgrade

So, a few months ago, I picked up another makarov, this time a true russian one.  Since I am not all that familiar with the platform, what are some upgrades that I can do to it to enhance its feel and accuracy. Honestly, how can I make it better.

• Moderators
Really? No one here messed with a makarov before?

I doubt many buy these and then want to do much to them. For one, aftermarket support is a fraction of modern service pistols. Secondly, assuming it is an actual Makarov, it sort of destroys any historical interest by modifying it. I'd keep it as is, shoot it, and buy a Glock or equivalent if you to fiddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I replaced the 9X18 barrel with one chambered in .380 ACP.  I recall at the time I knew several guys that all had one so we cut a deal with a some parts place (I don't remember where).  He also made us a deal which will all split the cost on a barrel press to make the change easier. The press was a piece of junk and I think we ended up fabricating our own.  Outside of that I can't really think of anything to make a big clunky 8 shot pistol chambered in a relatively anemic caliber any better.

IJ-70 Makarov.jpg

Is it a commercial Russian Mak or a military one?

If it's a military one, I'd be hesitant to do anything that couldn't be easily reversed.  I prefer the rubber Pearce grips over the military one. But I'm left handed and the lanyard ring on the original grip pokes into my hand.

The trigger pull on the one I have is actually pretty nice.  Long, but smooth, double action and light, short single action. So I haven't used any aftermarket springs in it.

32352500094_e8785ccb62_b.jpg

I say do what makes you happy with it. It's not a rare collector's item. 

That's what I did with my wannabe Makarov by CZ. It's been Cerakoted. I added custom grips, upgraded springs, and rubber mag base plates. I love it way more than I did when it was original. 

719ea16a.jpg

• Moderators
I say do what makes you happy with it. It's not a rare collector's item. 
That's what I did with my wannabe Makarov by CZ. It's been Cerakoted. I added custom grips, upgraded springs, and rubber mag base plates. I love it way more than I did when it was original. 
719ea16a.jpg

I wish they chambered the CZ-82 in 9mm Luger.

• Like 1

Where could I get a better spring at?

And its a Baikal makarov. My last one was bulgarian and it was a great shooter.

And the adjustable sights are a plus and I plan on making three small dots and coloring them.

And my camera is complete ####. Honestly, only reason the photo looks this good is that I had to touch it up after I was done uploading it.

a31q1jL.jpg

5 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

I doubt many buy these and then want to do much to them. For one, aftermarket support is a fraction of modern service pistols. Secondly, assuming it is an actual Makarov, it sort of destroys any historical interest by modifying it. I'd keep it as is, shoot it, and buy a Glock or equivalent if you to fiddle.

Whats the point of owning something and not customizing it?

7 hours ago, RC3 said:

Where could I get a better spring at?

And its a Baikal makarov. My last one was bulgarian and it was a great shooter.

And the adjustable sights are a plus and I plan on making three small dots and coloring them.

And my camera is complete ####. Honestly, only reason the photo looks this good is that I had to touch it up after I was done uploading it.

a31q1jL.jpg

I've bought parts for my CZ52 through Numrich.