Fingerprinting/photos in Knoxville

I am picking up my MPX today and want to get my Form 1 in queue as soon as possible.  Any tips on where to get fingerprinted and photo'd in Knoxville?  I know I can get passport photos at Walgreens or the county clerk's office.  I can get fingerprinted at the Sheriff's department, but I gather that I need to bring my own cards.  It looks like these can be purchased on Amazon, but is there somewhere to get them locally?

This is my first foray into the NFA world, so just wondering if you pro's have tricks to get this done cheaper/more efficiently. 

thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

If getting cards done on non ATF supplied cards you'll need to overstamp/sticker/write the following in the ORI field.  This tells the FBI where to send the prints back to once they've done the background.  Will save a few weeks or more in them floating around trying to get back. Where ever you get them done should have cards, they prefer the FD-258 (blue on white background).. I've seen them take others and also seen them reject others just FYI...

WVATF0800
ATF-NFA BRANCH
MARTINSBURG, WV

You also need to complete a few items on the prints cards.. enter you SSN, Sex, Race, Hgt, Wgt, Eyes, Hair and Place of Birth (City and state) Reason can be 'NFA'

I'd suggest getting extra sets of cards and photos done while you're at both locations for future purchases.  The cards are good for a year... if the place doesn't date them you may can get by longer.

I got the prints done at the Sheriff's office.  They entered all my info onto the card.  I guess if I wasn't in their system before, I am now.  I didn't know about the ORI part, so that was unfortunately left blank.

I did the photos myself using the Passport Booth app and printed for 29 cents at CVS.  It sure is a lot of hassle to put a stock on a gun.  

I called NFA branch; they said it's fine to leave the ORI section blank.  They have a sticker for the cards that don't have the ORI part filled out.  

Surprisingly prompt "customer" service for a gov agency drowning in applications.  

The FBI cards that are required for background checks are free to local law enforcement.  The Blount county Sheriff's Office does fingerprints for civilians on Wednesday's from 2:30 pm to 4:30 pm and they do have blank cards.  They only charge $10 to do the cards and it is done by their Crime Scene Unit so you dont have to go to the jail to get them done.  They can usually have you in and out within 10-15 minutes depending on how busy they are.