Came Here for Some Legal Info

Hi to All from Arkansas. Thanks for providing this Forum. I need a bit of legal info, hope someone here can provide answer. 

I'm a longtime collector of old milsurp rifles. Been drastically reducing my collection. Mostly selling online auction site. 

Just reached agreement to sell one to a TN resident, and by coincidence, I have to be in his area late next week. So we've exchanged I.D.'S and agreed to just do a face-to-face. 

BUT...  I've learned he's Reserve Deputy. So I want to be sure I'm not walking into something unpleasant. 

IS IT LEGAL for me, an out-of-state resident, to come into TN and sell rifle(s) to a TN resident face-to-face?

Thanks in advance for your help. 

2 hours ago, Hozzie said:

No, it is not legal.  You can bring it and meet him at an FFL and do the transaction there. 

I will 2nd this as well, seems the buyer would know this.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Old Mitch said:

So, guess we'll pay the transfer fee I thought we would save.  What do transfer fees typically run in Knoxville area?

Any chance I'm being set up?  Tennessee do that sort of thing?  Thanks to all for replies.

There's always that chance.  The only way to fall into the trap is to NOT do it through an FFL.

Yeah, definitely got that.  I'll phone the buyer in the morning to let him know we'll need to go thru a dealer and see what he says. 

Actually, I doubt it's a setup, cause thinking this over, when he told me he wanted the gun, I'm the one who said I have a trip planned to his area and suggested the face-to-face. 

1 hour ago, Old Mitch said:

...What do transfer fees typically run in Knoxville area?

10-50$. A good 10 clam place is Fighting Sheep Dog.

Plus TN itself charges an additional $10 fee for each 4473 run.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

IMO, it's another gun reg that should be eliminated, at least for adjoining states? 

Really seems unnatural that I do a transaction with a guy who lives 10 miles from me and don't have to have anyone's approval, but 11 miles from me I have to ask the government, "Mother, may I?"

Trump gonna fix it all, right    ;-)

Edited by Old Mitch
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Old Mitch said:

IMO, it's another gun reg that should be eliminated, at least for adjoining states?

Unfortunately, it's not a mere reg but federal law. Part of Gun Control Act of 1968, codified in 18 US 922.

- OS

It basically boils down to this... any private sale/trade/whatever across state lines must go through an FFL in the recipient's state. The exceptions are inheritance and loaning a firearm.

A person may buy a long gun from an FFL dealer in another state, but a handgun from an out-of-state dealer must be shipped to an FFL in the buyer's state.

Thanks to all of you for helping me avoid trouble.  And that starts with a "T," and that rhymes with "P," and that stands for Penitentiary.  (Remember "Music Man?")

And thanks to Oh Shoot for the tip about Fighting Sheep Dog, I've sent an email to them to get info on how to get this done. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

It basically boils down to this... any private sale/trade/whatever across state lines must go through an FFL in the recipient's state. ..

No, federally a resident of any state may transfer a long gun through FFL in any state to a resident of any state, and only a few states have law contradicting that.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
21 hours ago, Old Mitch said:

Thanks to all of you for helping me avoid trouble.  And that starts with a "T," and that rhymes with "P," and that stands for Penitentiary.  (Remember "Music Man?")

And thanks to Oh Shoot for the tip about Fighting Sheep Dog, I've sent an email to them to get info on how to get this done.

Hopefully they will indeed do transfers between individuals -- I've only use them for shipments from FFLs thus far, so can't swear to it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Just to update and end-the-story, the sale went well at a dealer. A dealer my buyer is so tight with, I started thinking he may have even been employed there at some point. 

So no felonies committed in the pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness. 

And buyer happy with his new acquisition. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...