Few new guns from my Granddad

MemHeli

Guys I've got a few new guns to learn about, left to me by my Granddad.  Any comments on what I've got here appreciated.  Don't know much about them  and have no idea how old or valuable they are.  I do know that someone has been in the trigger on Winchester, because that trigger is scary sensitive!  One is missing a front bead, I'll need to replace that.  The winchester has a few rust spots.  And it looks like he intended to refinish / re-blue the barrel as it's been rubbed with steel wool or something.  Need to look at how to best handle that.

Winchester Model 97, Mossburg 500C and a Marlin JM Stamped Glenfield.

Appreciate any comments.large.3guns.jpg.1fc56da809773b402bf42541d2baa587.jpg

Edited by MemHeli
adding manufacturer
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

The more you remove the original finish, the less the gun is worth. Oil them down well....with SBGO would be my choice.

The trigger situation on the 1897 is probably just due to wear on the sear, a common finding on them.

The OFM 500C is the only Model 500 I know of that came in 20ga [also available in 12ga]. The 500 was designed in 1960 and had a single action bar, but was changed to a dual action bar in 1970 when Remington's patent ran out.

Edited by ozo
  • Like 1
On 3/11/2017 at 9:16 AM, ozo said:

The more you remove the original finish, the less the gun is worth. Oil them down well....with SBGO would be my choice.

The trigger situation on the 1897 is probably just due to wear on the sear, a common finding on them.

The OFM 500C is the only Model 500 I know of that came in 20ga [also available in 12ga]. The 500 was designed in 1960 and had a single action bar, but was changed to a dual action bar in 1970 when Remington's patent ran out.

I've been oiling them and cleaning dust.  Certainly want to protect the aging.  The bolt action is very interesting to me.  That's the one that has bluing rubbed off, I was mistaken originally.  The 1897 is in pretty good shape actually, a little surface rust here and there.  I'd like to shoot it.  I"m going to take it by my local shop and have the gunsmith look it over for any issues that would prohibit shooting.

Edited by MemHeli
  • Like 1