Possibly moving to Tennessee

Outlaw

Possibly moving to Tennesee in the fall. Trying to educate myself on the good areas. I could use some suggestions on nice small towns in the Nashville-Chattanooga corridor, possibly east and North nashville suburbs as well. I'm blue collar and the wife is middle management office staff. I have 2 school aged sons so a good school system is pretty important. 

Any areas specifically to avoid? 

Thanks!

If you like to fish, hunt, hike, camp, trail ride on mountain bikes or dirtbikes, etc......then the Chattanooga area is your place. Hixson, Soddy Daisy, Middle Valley, Falling water in particular. Check them out. The area is also youth sports crazy. Football, softball, baseball, soccer etc.  

Edited by Randall53
13 hours ago, MudBugjr said:

If you want nice smaller town come check out Tullahoma. My wife moved me here from a bigger city and I love it. I am in between Nashville and Chattanooga

This is toward the top of my list. Looking at Goodlettsville and Hendersonville also possibly la vergne. I'd like to rent before I buy but holy cow, I think I'd be better off buying a smaller house until I find the perfect spot.

12 hours ago, Randall53 said:

If you like to fish, hunt, hike, camp, trail ride on mountain bikes or dirtbikes, etc......then the Chattanooga area is your place. Hixson, Soddy Daisy, Middle Valley, Falling water in particular. Check them out. The area is also youth sports crazy. Football, softball, baseball, soccer etc.  

I definitely love my outdoors. Im a jeeper as well. I see there is a few orv parks in the area too. Unfortunately my company doesn't have any plants in the Chattanooga area. It'd be nice to get as close as possible to it though. 

Who knows, if the wife finds a good enough job, I might just find somewhere else to work. 

Appreciate it fellas

We have a lot of industry here etc. I was born and raised in Hendersonville and it has changed so much over the years. very busy and crowded compared to here. Feel like I have a good spot I can get to Nashville Chattanooga and Huntsville Ala in the same amount of time. Have great place to ride in the mountains and a really nice lake as well.  Your right for what people want for rent you could buy a home just as cheap.

• Like 1
On 2/28/2017 at 6:13 PM, Outlaw said:

I have 2 school aged sons so a good school system is pretty important. 

Welcome!

I moved my family here from Western NY almost 2 years ago. Was one of the smarter things I've done. We spent a lot of time researching which schools would be a good fit for our children too. So far we have been pleased, and are enjoying the community we live in. There have been some rough spots, but on the whole they weren't unexpected, and we're still happy with the overall experience.

There are some good websites like schooldigger that will help you rank schools, and state standardized test scores proved useful. We originally planned on moving to another community around Knoxville, but couldn't understand the disparate curve in the test scores. We ended up meeting and talking to a young couple at dinner one night while checking the area out, and the wife happened to be a teacher in the district we were looking at.... proved very enlightening. In short, income distribution correlated well with test scores, and the school teachers were forced to spend a lot of time 'parenting' kids whose parents didn't. At the expense of the rest of the class. Be wary of rural poor area's. It's unfortunate, but true.

I don't have much experience w/ the Nashville area but as with most large city's, the closer you are.... I have friends/family in Bell Buckle and Springhill, and both seem like nice communities. Murfesboro is quite a large city onto itself, but there are a lot of jobs there, too. Look at crime statistics and local newspapers, and take a few trips to visit prospective area's before pulling up the tent stakes and moving. We made 3-4 trips down here (800 miles each way, UGH!), and while it really was a pain in my back, it was time and money well spent. I'm glad we ended up where we are, and not in our first choice.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions!

- Kevin

• Like 2

I think out of all the cities of size in Tennessee I would look around Chattanooga.  They've got everything you need right there, you are easy driving distance to Nashville or Atlanta.  A lot less people in Chattanooga than Nashville.  If you don't mind the growth, the Nashville area is pretty nice too.  I get the impression though that the roads in the Nashville area have not kept up with the population growth.  I have heard that the Nashville Metro school district is about as bad as the Memphis school district.  The towns outside Davidson County from what I understand have pretty good school systems compared to Nashville Metro.  I don't know anything about Chattanooga area's schools.

I'm just north of Chattanooga we looked all along the eastern 3rd of the state. No kids for us and schools were not an issue. We have found that people have been welcoming. There are some impoverished areas and you need to look around your area to see who the neighbors will be. Other than that TN has been great for us.

Good luck with your search

On 2/28/2017 at 5:13 PM, Outlaw said:

Possibly moving to Tennesee in the fall. Trying to educate myself on the good areas. I could use some suggestions on nice small towns in the Nashville-Chattanooga corridor, possibly east and North nashville suburbs as well. I'm blue collar and the wife is middle management office staff. I have 2 school aged sons so a good school system is pretty important. 

Any areas specifically to avoid? 

Thanks!

First off, good for you for coming to your senses and moving to TN.  I'm a bit out west of Nashville (don't like the traffic or the taxes). Here's the advice everyone gets:

1) don't live in Davidson county, taxes are literally double what they are in surrounding counties

2) North of Nashville is booming/getting crowded

3) South of Nashville is where all the money is Brentwood/Franklin - so you will pay more to live there.

4) Southeast to East is turning into little Tijuana 

5) East to Northeast is an alright place to live

6) West is still pretty awesome for the time being, but people are starting to slowly creep out this way, it's the most rural part of the region that you can drive into Nashville daily and not have to travel an hour

7) Stay the F*** away from Memphis, that is the TN version of Mogadishu, we tried to give the city to Alabama, but they wouldn't even take it

8) If you're coming from a liberal state, stop by one of the decontamination stations at the state line and wash that crap off

9) Williamson county (where I'm at) supposedly has the best school systems in the state, and one of the better ones in the country.  No clue though, I just pay taxes for other people's kids to go there

10) We like to shoot a lot down here, if you need assistance with creative ways to hide money from the spouse to stockpile an arsenal, just ask - the forum is filled with experts

11) Anything you need help with, no matter what it is, can be fixed with a TGO meeting if you supply the booze and BBQ

• Like 2

Yo MrShotty! Grew up outside Boofaloo, did my 4 years at SUNY Oswego, and landed outside Roch-cha-cha for the next 20. Finally saw the light and moved the family down here 2 years ago. Funny story how it all happened (apropos for this time of year...) We were visiting family in the VA/DC area for Easter with typically gorgeous springtime weather, and on our return trip up Rt. 15 juuuuust as we hit the NYS line and saw the "Welcome to NY Sign", it started snowing. I hear a sniffle or two in the passenger seat next to me, then a few more....

"Honey, what's wrong?"

Sniffle

"Honey... are you OK?"

Sniff. Sniff.

"Baby, what's the matter?"

"I HATE THIS @#&^$$ WEATHER! I HATE THIS #&#$^@! SNOW! I HATE THIS #*%%$@ GOD DAMNED STATE SO MUCH!!!"

So it really was a family decision.... :stare:  :whistle:

Anyways, it's 60's and sunny this weekend, I started my garden a few weeks ago, even wore shorts a few days so far this year. You won't be disappointed. Looking back at the TWCNews site is a hoot. You can't believe people actually think like that, and that you used to live there, incredible! Feel free to shoot me a PM, I can probably point you to a few particulars/places to take a look at. Definitely plan a few trips down to check the area out, and make sure to hit Smokey Mountain Knife Works. It's just a quick 12-hours down Rt. 81, you'll hardly notice it at all (actually, the stretch from VA into TN is a gorgeous drive, the mountains are amazing at sunrise).

- Kevin

• Like 2
On 3/3/2017 at 9:50 PM, Sam1 said:

8) If you're coming from a liberal state, stop by one of the decontamination stations at the state line and wash that crap off

Bahahahhaaaa!!!
Now I've got coffee to clean off my screen, thanks for that!

- K

• Like 3
2 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

"I HATE THIS @#&^$$ WEATHER! I HATE THIS #&#$^@! SNOW! I HATE THIS #*%%$@ GOD DAMNED STATE SO MUCH!!!"

Was just up in NY.  Came back here Friday.  Going south thru PA on I-81 past Hazelton, there was a big wreck on the northbound side.  32 vehicles, 23 injured, 1 killed.  White out conditions from a snow squall.  Since the salt truck was at the front of the wreck, I'm assuming someone tried to pass him and it didn't work out.  

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-interstate-81-fatal-pileup-20170304-story.html

I_81_wreck.jpg

I_81_wreck2.jpg

I_81_wreck3.jpg

11 minutes ago, NextExit said:

Was just up in NY.  Came back here Friday.  Going south thru PA on I-81 past Hazelton, there was a big wreck on the northbound side.  32 vehicles, 23 injured, 1 killed.  White out conditions from a snow squall.  Since the salt truck was at the front of the wreck, I'm assuming someone tried to pass him and it didn't work out.  

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-interstate-81-fatal-pileup-20170304-story.html

I_81_wreck.jpg

I_81_wreck2.jpg

I_81_wreck3.jpg

Have not see a crash like that since back years ago when I was a kid growing up just west of Chicago on the South West Expressway in January 1965. We moved to Tennessee in 67 and never looked back. Mother was born here so grew up in a southern life style even up there.  Did not have any adjustments to make and fit right in with family down here...................:cheers:

I moved from MA to Nashville about a year and a half ago. Nashville is definitely growing fast. The skyline is full of construction cranes. I live west of the city, which is more rural than other surrounding areas (as someone mentioned) but it's growing too now as people need somewhere to go. Davidson county schools suck and taxes are high (but still way lower than I was paying in metro Boston). Haven't been out to the east part of the state much but hear it's nice. Stay away from Memphis. Not pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[mention=26264]ReeferMac[/mention] [mention=25442]MrJones79[/mention] Don't you know what you're missing out on? default_tongue.png 

WEB_Snow_Forecast.jpg

Haha! Yeah I saw this. Glad a snow blower is not standard equipment in the south! On the other hand, we've had tornado warnings down here in Middle TN twice in the past 10 days or so. It's the trade off you make I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat. Possibly moving to the Nashville area from Indianapolis, IN. Indiana is a very pro-gun state, and not too contaminated by "them" so hopefully I can bypass the decon station.

I'm currently working in Goodlettsville and going home on the weekends. If the price is right I'll be bringing the wife down here and we'll be looking for her a school to teach in and us a house to live in.

• Like 1

Thanks Buck! I don't get down 75 often, but am friendly w/ Sidecarist (in your neck of the woods). Us Yankee's like to stick together! :cheers:

There are a lot of good decent people up north who generally don't like what the government is doing/becoming, but when it's all you've known, it's hard to just pick up and move. The missus and I always intended to retire somewhere's warmer after the kids were grown and gone, but w/ many of the issues happening, and the crime that was starting to appear even in our small country town up North, the whole snowfall at Easter incident was the final nail in the coffin. Glad to feel welcomed down here! We'll have to arrange a TGO shoot or something at one of the ranges! I can host a few people at Oak Ridge... and I do have quite a stump collection that needs removing. Anyone got any extra Tannerite they don't need? :D

- K

• Like 2