Trail Cam Recommendations

I think someone is trespassing on our land (and possibly stealing hay from our storage garage). I'd like to setup an inexpensive trail cam to watch the entrance of the property, hopefully to catch a license-plate number or something? Can anyone recommend anything about or under $100?

Thanks.

- K

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Catch an auction based sale on Ebay.  You can get the 5 MP cams for under a 100 easy now.  The problem is they have to be within about 40-50 feet to catch the movment which means they are usually visible.  I had a camera watching our hunting cabin this summer and the county contractor crew clearing the power line right of ways apparently spent some time resting in the shade of our porch.  They apparently noticed the camera and took my SD card so there went the evidence, and then they scratched up the lens so bad the camera was essentially unusable.  I have recently purchased a steel locking box for the cam and a python cable so they can't take the whole thing and will try setting up again.  It's a shame people can't respect what others have earned or worked on, even to the point where trying to catch them is hard to do.

Also, you need to understand that unless you get a NO GLOW IR cam, they will see the thing light up with the red IR emitters at night.  If you do put one up, check it often.  Your presence may just provide the evidence you need.

Some links below to help on mid range cams and a box to protect it.  If you really want to catch them, the new cellular phone linked cameras will do it.

You might loose the camera before you get there but it should be sending you pics before they get it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-Qty-2-Used-Wildgame-Innovations-i8B-Trail-Game-Camera-WGI-8MP-Infrared-/381977484911?hash=item58efa1de6f:g:JwQAAOSwh2xYAQk8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331911995321?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Take a ladder with you and set the camera up high enough so that if the trespasser does see it he can't get to it. We used to do that on the campgrounds at a deer hunting lease I used to be on. I have a Primos trail camera that won't die. They seem to be pretty good. Cabela's store brand has some decent trail cameras with good warranties also. Previous poster mentioned Wildgame Innovations but I have never seen positive reviews on their trail cameras and have stayed away from them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk