I lost my Dad on the 13th.....

I have been quiet for a while but only because I have been a bit depressed and busy as can be. My Dad passed on the 13th at home in bed, a surprise to all even at the age of 90. I am getting all things in order and taking care of my mom now. Fortunately she is only 4 houses up the road. I got a gift I loved and looked at in a drawer for around 50 years now. It is the first pistol I ever shot and man was it a handful at the age of I guess 8. Now it is mine but not by choice, I will hand it down to my son who loves guns just as much as me. Teach them well. I would like to share this wonderful pistol with all of you as well.

FullSizeRender_zpslj3d8nmf.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpspbzdqqak.jpg

• Like 10

Lost my dad in 2010. It never gets easier. There are things I wished I had done and thing I did that I wished I could take back.  I did inherit 3 of his rifles, they are locked away in a safe to pass along to my children when I go.

Sorry for your loss, it is a burden we all will have to bear I'm afraid. 

• Like 1

I lost my dad 30 years ago February the 7th. The pain and loss do subside with time but the memories last a lifetime. I still think of him often with a smile in my heart, especially when hunting or fishing and I thank him every time I'm able to fix something on my truck or car since he taught me how to do them all. I'm sorry for your loss.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Very sorry to hear of your father's passing.  Thank you for feeling at-home with us enough to share, and thank you again for sharing photos of that beautiful 1911.  What a fantastic heirloom, packed with decades of memories and tradition.  I hope that it brings you infinitely more enjoyment than any tinges of sorrow, and reminds you most of the good times together.

• Like 3

Sorry for your loss. I lost my dad 2 years ago this month a week shy of his 88th birthday. He didn't leave me any fine weapons like yours did but he did leave many many fond memories as I'm sure yours did.

• Like 1

I lost my dad in '91 when I was 36. I'm 62 now and am reminded of his legacy he left me everyday in the life that I live. I'm also reminded of the good as I watch my children and grandchildren grow up.

That bond will remain forever for you as well 45, cherish it.

Edited by 221 Fireball
  • Like 1

My condolences to you and your family Fourtyfive.  If you need a hand on your shoulder, you know we're here for you. 

Making it to 90 is a helluva run though.  Here's hoping you and your son have those good aging genes to draw from.  And you've got that treasure gun to remind you of all the good times.

• Like 1

Thanks my friends. I've got to tell a story of when my wife was first introduced to guns. It was the same pistol. We were at a friends house out by the river. A safe place to plink. We gave her the pistol after giving her a safety check and how to shoot it. She is allergic to wasp and any other stings. As soon as we got her set up and she flipped the safety she took a long serious aim; then a bee tried to land on the barrel. She spun in a 360 and we all hit the dirt, dad included, I guess you just had to be there. This pistol means the world to me. Thanks for your support. 

Edited by Fourtyfive
  • Like 3