Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0

TGO David

• Administrator

When you're wrong, you're wrong...

I bought my first M&P back when Smith and Wesson introduced them in 2005.  It was my M&P 40 and I still have it.  I was shopping for a Glock 23 when the S&W rep who was visiting Guns & Leather handed me one and asked if I had considered their new plastic-fantastic.  I left with not only it but also an M&P 40 compact, and soon after added an M&P 9 compact, an M&P 9 full size, an M&P 9 Julie Goloski edition for my wife, an M&P 45 Mid-Size, and an M&P Shield 9mm.

To say that I have had my share of M&Ps is maybe a slight understatement and I definitely wouldn't consider myself a Johnny Come Lately to the ownership circle given the timeline.  For at least 6-8 years, my M&P 40 was my every day carry but it was eventually replaced with a Glock 19 for reasons that most of us have probably given at one point or another.  "For the sake of change" is probably the most honest answer I can give anyone, but I had an assortment of other reasons waiting in the wings if I was pressed on it.  Besides, the Glock 19 is arguably a very reliable and functional gun.  But so is my M&P 40.

Fast forward to late 2016 and the new M&P M2.0 was announced by Smith and Wesson.  I admit it.  I yawned.  I scoffed.  I publicly stated that I saw little about it that would motivate me to go back to an M&P 9mm after having had a relatively bad experience with the full-size M&P 9 that I had owned before.

I was wrong.

Last weekend I had the chance to shoot one.  It felt better in the hand thanks to the aggressive stippling that S&W has applied to the frame and palm swells.  The beaver tail was gone and suddenly it was even closer in length to my Glock 19 than the previous offerings and it felt better riding inside of my TT Gunleather inside the waistband holster without the frame protrusion digging into my chiseled, well-muscled midsection.

The frame was less "flexy" at the front of the slide thanks to the change in design that extended the metal skeleton all the way forward.  The front cocking serrations weren't all that big of a deal, but they weren't ridiculously ineffective either.  They didn't sway me either way, but they did add a bit of flair to the expanse of boring metal forward of the ejection slot.

But the trigger.  Damn them, the trigger was better than I anticipated.  It was smooth and clean right up to an abrupt wall, then it broke crisply and without grit.  The reset was firm, tactile and audible, and the reset travel was maybe 3/16 of an inch from the terminus to reset, measured at the bottom tip of the trigger itself.  The reset still isn't as forceful as a Glock 19 with OEM connector and trigger return spring, but it is right on par with the feel of a reset from a Sig P320.  It honestly feels better than any Apex'd M&P that I have owned or fired.

So what does a guy do when he's as wrong about a firearm as I was?

Yep.

i-jhHJrMX-600x450.jpg

• Like 5
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, hipower said:

I haven't gotten to see one yet, but good to hear some positive comments from an old M&P guy. Uh...make that long time M&P fan.

Well the thing is, I was pretty sure I wouldn't be going back.  While I liked my M&P 40, 45 and Shield just fine, for some reason none of our full-size M&P 9's ever really grew on me.  I should probably add that the new M2.0 has a 1:10 twist rate which really helps the accuracy of the thing as well, and that was a problem I had with some ammo and the "Gen 1" 9mm.

I was really, really surprised at how much I like the M2.0

• Like 1

Good info, David. I have yet to see either of my current interests...the CZ P10c or the M&P in the 5" tan. I really need to stop looking though. I really don't need to find either one at this time. Too little gun fund balance now.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, hipower said:

Good info, David. I have yet to see either of my current interests...the CZ P10c or the M&P in the 5" tan. I really need to stop looking though. I really don't need to find either one at this time. Too little gun fund balance now.

I think you are safe for a little while.  The CZ is on my list also but I bumped it down in "desirability" after CZ delayed shipment of them to the States until late April.  And that is assuming they don't delay them again, too.

10 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I think you are safe for a little while.  The CZ is on my list also but I bumped it down in "desirability" after CZ delayed shipment of them to the States until late April.  And that is assuming they don't delay them again, too.

Yes, I heard that from Reece at the Gun Crew yesterday. Disappointing, but gives me a bit of time to  recover. Did look lustfully at a Springer Operator in 9mm though. Very tempting pistol. For some strange reason, I've really become addicted to the 1911 in the past few years.

• Like 2

I think the 2.0 feels like a better built pistol. The old ones always felt "cheap" to me. The new one feels like a step up in class. 

I'm also crazy impressed with my 45 Shield. They've really stepped it up in quality. It will be a long path to convert me from Glocks, but they are moving in the right direction.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

I had a chance to run about 150 rds through mine yesterday.  It performed flawlessly.  I added a combination of Vickers Tactical plain black rear sight and orange outline Ameriglo Pro i-Dot front sight before doing so, as I run this combo on several handguns and am very proficient with it.  No surprise that it worked great for the M&P also.

After shooting the gun a bit, I took some 1000 grit aluminum oxide paper and very lightly knocked down the sharpness on some of the stippling on the palm-swell insert where it meets the web of my thumb.  Not much.  Just the sharpest peaks.  This made a world of difference in the comfort of shooting it.

I'm carrying it IWB right now in the same TT Gunleather holster that I used to carry my M&P 40 in.  Feels a bit like an old friend.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, TGO David said:

I had a chance to run about 150 rds through mine yesterday.  It performed flawlessly.  I added a combination of Vickers Tactical plain black rear sight and orange outline Ameriglo Pro i-Dot front sight before doing so, as I run this combo on several handguns and am very proficient with it.  No surprise that it worked great for the M&P also.

After shooting the gun a bit, I took some 1000 grit aluminum oxide paper and very lightly knocked down the sharpness on some of the stippling on the palm-swell insert where it meets the web of my thumb.  Not much.  Just the sharpest peaks.  This made a world of difference in the comfort of shooting it.

I'm carrying it IWB right now in the same TT Gunleather holster that I used to carry my M&P 40 in.  Feels a bit like an old friend.

Have you noticed any changes in indexing on the drawstroke?  Think I posted it somewhere else as well, but I can draw the 1, and the 2.0 from the same holster, and when you grab the 2.0 your hand rotates around for a perfect index every single time.  The 1 requires an occasional re-index or slight adjustment after it's in the workspace/shooting box.  No clue what is different, when you lay them side by side, the frames visually appear to be identical.

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, chances R said:

So in a flat out test, does it shoot more accurately and faster?  Being a M&P fan, having 6 or 7 (yes I like them), just need to know if I am missing out on the latest and greatest.

It should be more accurate with a wider range of ammunition due to the revised twist rate of the barrel.  Beyond that, it's going to be up to you to do your part.  It's no silver bullet but it would be a worthy addition to your collection if you already have that many of them.

4 minutes ago, Sam1 said:

Have you noticed any changes in indexing on the drawstroke?  Think I posted it somewhere else as well, but I can draw the 1, and the 2.0 from the same holster, and when you grab the 2.0 your hand rotates around for a perfect index every single time.  The 1 requires an occasional re-index or slight adjustment after it's in the workspace/shooting box.  No clue what is different, when you lay them side by side, the frames visually appear to be identical.

I honestly haven't noticed any difference.  Both this and my "M1.0" M&P 40 index just fine for me without any adjustment.  I will note that my M&P 40 has a heavily stippled grip insert from Damato Custom Stippling, so maybe that is the difference you are seeing with the M2.0 since it is heavily stippled from the factory.  Maybe you're getting and maintaining a more solid purchase on it from the draw.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • Administrator

As an update...

For as long as I can remember I have opted to run the Small sized palm-swell on the M&P 9mm and .40SW as they allowed me to more easily manipulate the mag release without breaking my grip.  I have also found it challenging to refrain from pulling my shots to the left (not low-left, just left) unless I paid careful attention to where my finger went on the trigger.

This past weekend I made an assessment and then made a change.  The assessment being:

• Statistics show that the vast majority of shootings involving LEO or Civilians do not involve magazine changes.
  • The M&P 9mm carries 17+1 rounds.
  • It is more important for immediate proper trigger-finger placement than it is to keep my grip perfect during a mag change.
  • The Medium size palm-swell perfectly positions my trigger-finger every time.

After swapping to the larger Medium palm-swell, my shots were 100% where I wanted them, every single time, immediately from a draw.  Additionally, I am able to get more purchase on the grip with my support hand, aiding in what is already an incredibly flat shooting 9mm.

This may seem like a trivial thing or an obvious foregone conclusion, but consider also that I have been shooting for over 30 years now, have been carrying a handgun for over 15 years, have attended numerous classes, attend the range at least twice a month (frequently more) and have used the M&P platform since it was released in the mid 2000's.  NONE of this is new or even a revelation to me, but it demonstrates how we can become so myopic in our own thinking that we might disregard an obvious solution to an elementary challenge with our equipment.

Lesson Learned:  Be brave enough to experiment on the range where your life doesn't depend on it.  You might discover something surprisingly simple yet extremely effective.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, walthermitty said:

Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore has the 2.0s for $419.  Active/Retired Military and Active Reservists can get a $50 rebate from S&W.

36 minutes ago, mhl6493 said:

Wow, that's a nice price!

It sure is! I paid a bit more locally for one I bought. Nice pistol, but not as enamored with it as I thought I would be.

I find myself wishing David had posted his M&P 45 before I had bought the 9. But that's the way things go. lol

• Administrator
8 hours ago, hipower said:

It sure is! I paid a bit more locally for one I bought. Nice pistol, but not as enamored with it as I thought I would be.

I find myself wishing David had posted his M&P 45 before I had bought the 9. But that's the way things go. lol

Everyone needs more than ONE M&P though. :)

• Like 1

Anybody know what's going on with Guns N More?  I ordered an M&P 2.0 from Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore, to be delivered thru Guns N More.  Went to their website and noticed the address was different from the one listed at SOS, so I emailed through their site.  They replied that they would get a new FFL to the dealer, if I gave them the order #.  I did that the next day (also through their web contact service.)  They never sent it.  No one answered, and no voice mail when I called during business hours.  Now, I notice that apparently they are no longer a sponsor of this site?

• Administrator

They dropped off the radar here about a year ago.  Have you driven by their shop to see if they are even still a brick-and-mortar store?

The gun business is really, really soft right now.  A lot of smaller shops have folded up and gone under.

I haven't been by there since late March. At that time they were preparing to move to a little spot over by the bowling alley, in that plaza at Weakley Ln and Sam Ridley, beside the liquor store.  I haven't been over there yet to verify if the move was successful.  I DID see Sheena post something on FB today so I know they're alive, at least. Best of luck to you. 

I got the 5" FDE 2.0 9mm the day it arrived at Academy in Smyrna.  Whenever you DO get it, you're gunna love it. Promise!