I'm ready for a quality bolt .50 BMG.

I know Barrett and the other manufacturers have prices that are all orange juice to vodka. Who sells a dead on barrel that hits the spot with no BS. Just want a simple HEAVY barrel bolt action .50 tack driver.

Edited by Fourtyfive
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, nightrunner said:

Serbu RN-50. 17lbs. $1200. Single shot break action.

http://www.serbu.com/rn-50-break-action-50-bmg.html

Sorry but I don't think you will find an accurate and affordable bolt action .50BMG.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/626509903

I'm afraid your wrong on that remark, but I would like to spend a little less. Bolt actions are the most accurate.....

Edited by Fourtyfive

Ok, I have learned A LOT about 50 BMG rifles over the past year.

Avoid the Safety Harbor, Zel Custom and any other rifle built like those. The reason is they are not built for accuracy but more importantly they have a propensity to explode. I owned one last year and it required hand loaded ammunition to be accurate. So if you see a 50 BMG "upper" with the hand guard held in tension with a nut don't walk away but run away.

If accuracy is your #1 priority avoid the Barrett semi autos. They are not known for being accurate. Fast shooters, yes, but accurate shooters, no. At least not something you could use to place well in a match. Barrett, either single shot or semi auto, are not "budget" either.

If accuracy is your #1 concern the cheapest gun that WILL win you a match is the Spider Firearms Ferret 50. Although it looks like the other unsafe "budget" 50 uppers it is built completely different. The barrel is free floated, unlike the other "budget" 50's. It uses a three lug bolt rather than a two lug bolt. It also uses Lothar Walther barrels. BTW, Spider Firearms Ferret 50 holds the world record 1,000 yard record. They also ALWAYS place well in matches. The only drawback to the Ferret 50 is the lead time but that depends on when you order. If you order at the end of a production run your wait could be very short but catch them between production runs, like I did, and you will be waiting. I am currently about 9 months into my wait. BTW, he WILL guarantee the accuracy of his guns. He will guarantee the gun will shoot MOA with cheap surplus, 1/2 MOA with 750 grain Hornady Match and .2 MOA with hand loads. If it doesn't shoot he will fix it under warranty. BTW, the owner is on the board of a national 50 BMG organization and is very involved in the 50 BMG competitions. You can have a match winning upper built for under $3K and a complete match winning firearm for under $4,500. Their

http://www.ferret50.com/

If I get mine before you buy yours you are more than welcome to shoot mine. It is a Ferret 50 with a 24" Lothat Walther barrel. Mine is an upper for a AR15 lower but I will be building my own all steel dedicated lower for it. I am having it threaded for my Armalite AR50 brake to help tame some of the recoil.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

There's been a lot of interest on the TGO recently with 50's, since the gun market is soft 50's are becoming more popular, I'll be a little bias, I've been around several 50's over the years, my buddy has a 82a1 he paid $11.2k from the outpost, I followed up buying a 82a1 out of state for $8.5k, I use to shoot at Terry's in Manchester I've been there on several occasions with factory Barrett guys R&D 95,99,82a1 and 107's all of them excellent rifles, I really wished the 107 was out before I bought mine, in the past couple years I've shot with JohnC "TGO Mod" a couple times, he has a AR50 bolt, while I'll agree John's gun is more accurate then mine, I can get 4+ follow up rounds back on target before he's ready to go again..

What kind of accuracy are you looking for? have you researched ammo for what your looking to do? I'm thinking your looking at $5-6 per rd, I shoot reloads FMJ, AP, API and APIT most I've paid is $2.25pr rd, I just like shooting steel.

How far do you plan to shoot? This will make a huge difference, under 300yrds its just a noise maker, most of my shots have been 330yds (terry's range) but before my buddy sold his farm, longest I've shot was 650yrds and hitting 12" steel circles required no effort at with surplus pulled ammo.

Barrett Model 99 to meet those criteria.

http://vizardsgunsandammo.com/bfm-m99-sys-50bmg-32-hb-blk-1/

You may call Whittakers and see what price they can get on this as well.  I don't know anything about the place in the link, just the best price according to Slickguns.

You may also call CDNN.  I missed on out a 98B that was 50% off.  They have some M82's as well.  Would be worth a call.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/barrett-m82a1-50bmg.html

Edited by Hozzie