Truck carry Where to hide a handgun

I've got a pick up truck with a console on the front seat. I've tried using the console to conceal my handgun and it never fails, whenever I open the console the gun is always under all the junk I've got in there. Needless to say if I ever needed it in a hurry I'd be fishing around in there for way too much time. Anybody got a better place to conceal a handgun in the truck? I tried just keeping it on my hip but that even makes it harder to get to under that roll of fat I hid my belt with.

A few ideas

This is not permanent

CH88carholster.jpg.9cd305878d1bdbdade8d9426416c3ca0.jpg

http://www.earthquakestore.com/holsters.php

This one belts around the seat.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm%3Fitemnum%3D4534030&ved=0ahUKEwi3n-ixl73SAhWBSyYKHdwkAWsQFggkMAI&usg=AFQjCNFLHco12dlwehtRk23UoeRF8yP5Qg&sig2=A-kr7UibyL7wkyL_jDwNfg

ACFBE7.JPG.87f9c09931d3048161a56b41b97fbc12.JPG

These just clip into dash

e42fd9e26e4e46f70920c6c65ac9e369.jpg.29687a53fcea69abe08027f1659f4b80.jpginstall_step5.jpg.806c30d0864e9dfe90b2511b550ceb15.jpg

I think this one screws in.

8a04499c389730560b94108d846b0065.jpg.4518d0839433d850fd391cb37d586060.jpg

Most of these are more visible than in the console, but more accessible.

And just for fun

TruckVault-661x496.jpg.f0cd523e4ee00f60e4c65ca650df4d6d.jpg

• Like 2

Mine stays on the back of the console. It's mounted via a Blackhawk QD setup. This allows me to change the holster or if I park and leave my pistol I can remove the entire holster with the gun and pop it in the glovebox.

View of the back of the console-
3a52960d20f1152756612bc599c4af39.jpg

View from the drivers seat-
930c69bf1037fa1b2fb910227a1d10f8.jpg

View of the QD setup with the pistol removed in holster-
5391bbe54f3c4e12ddc70c1041fc2b76.jpg

• Like 3
I think many of the pics I Googled had screws through the kydex or leather holster, right into the plastic of the console.
I'd probably use metal backer plates on either side of the plastic to support the screws/bolts if its in a discreet posotion. Depending on its thickness, that plastic probably wont support a lot of drawing and reholtering without the screws walloring out (Is walloring a real word, or do we just say that in the country?).
There are many magnetic holders available online now too if a less permanent attachment point is needed.

Wallowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Vindicare is correct. "Waller" is how we southerners lazy-up the word "wallow". I've never heard it used in the screw-head context by anyone but Southerners. "Stripped" is the adjective I've heard used in other places.

Wallow (noun) - an area of mud or shallow water where mammals go to wallow, typically developing into a depression in the ground over long use.

So wallowing (or wallering) out a screw head is making it into a shallow depression.

I have a similar setup as post 2, second picture.  I simply used a small drill bit to create a small hole in the plastic where i wanted the holster and used small screws to hold it.  Been there for 7 years with zero issues. 

2 hours ago, bud said:

I agree that leaving your carry gun behind in the car is not going to help you when you need a gun.

I think the OP is looking for a place to stow his gun while he is driving the vehicle so that it will be accessible should he need it while driving and so that he'll be more comfortable without it being on his waist while driving.

I do have a M&P shield that I carry outside the truck. What I want to conceal in the truck is a full sized/hi cap 40. Have you ever tried to draw from your hip while sitting in your truck? With the console on one side and the door on the other it takes quite a bit longer than a standing hip draw on the street.

• Like 1

My normal practice had been to stuff my full size into the crevice between the seats next to me, in a holster of course. It keeps it in an easily accessible place and you can even put your had on it if needed without drawing any attention. When I'm ready to get out I just put it in the console and lock the doors. When I have practiced drawing from this position the holster stays in place between the seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My personal point of view is that your hand gun should be on your body and not in the car... 

Sure, but I can't draw the gun on my hip while seat belted. So I have a second mounted to the console. Saves me having to draw/reholster my carry piece as I enter/exit my truck.[emoji854]