How many of you carry a spare magazine?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

By the way, I voted "sometimes" as I only have a spare mag holder for my 1911. I'm ordering a spare mag holder for my XD45 soon to correct that problem.

I don't really like the mag holder that Springfield sends as part of the "XD Gear" kit so I'll be going with another from Comp-Tac.

I always carry spare ammo for whatever I'm carrying. Usually that means one magazine for my pistol.

Tungsten, just put the magazine in your front pocket. I've got tons of magazine carriers and the pocket is where mine ends up. For me a mag carrier opposite the gun just makes it harder to conceal the gun. YMMV.

• Administrator
I always carry spare ammo for whatever I'm carrying. Usually that means one magazine for my pistol.

Tungsten, just put the magazine in your front pocket. I've got tons of magazine carriers and the pocket is where mine ends up. For me a mag carrier opposite the gun just makes it harder to conceal the gun. YMMV.

I carry too much crap in my pockets. :devil: The cell phone and mag holder for my 1911 get clipped to my weak side.

Guest Shay VanVlymen

Needing more ammo is just one reason to carry a spare mag. Fixing malfunctions, lost mag and plain ol' broken mags are probably more likely to come into play over needing that 16th round.

Personal story time. I once knocked off the baseplate on a Glock 17 magazine by landing on it on my back while it was still in the gun in my holster. The spring, follower and a shower of rounds poured out the bottom of the mag tube. Had I been in a fight for my life with no spare mag I would have had a single shot pistol at that point.

Needing more ammo is just one reason to carry a spare mag. Fixing malfunctions, lost mag and plain ol' broken mags are probably more likely to come into play over needing that 16th round.

Personal story time. I once knocked off the baseplate on a Glock 17 magazine by landing on it on my back while it was still in the gun in my holster. The spring, follower and a shower of rounds poured out the bottom of the mag tube. Had I been in a fight for my life with no spare mag I would have had a single shot pistol at that point.

Good point! :devil:

Guest Loaded247

I always carry an extra magazine...at a minimum, and I've been known to carry two. Nowdays, I always carry a back-up gun as well, a S&W Mod. 36. I started carrying it 'sometimes', and that eventually turned into 'all the time'.

When I am carrying my Glock 19, I have a least one mag slipped into a pocket. Most of the times I have two in a mag holder. If I'm packing my S&W M64, I just carry the other M64 in a double shoulder holster.

Guest Old Chief

A little extra precaution may be what is needed on the day that one is required to defend himself. It is best to follow the Boy Scout Motto of "Be Prepaired."

Guest ProguninTN

I usually carry extra ammunition. I believe in being prepared and "better to have it [extra ammunition being the it in this case] and not need it than need it and not have it". Since I am a both styles guy, (I carry autoloaders and revolvers) I carry an extra magazine or an extra speedloader.

I carry in a bunch of different ways. The web belt and shoulder holster have built in magazine carriers. For side carry, I may have up to four additional magazines in addition to the one in the handgun. IWB I normally carry one spare magazine. For casual carry with the .380 Kel-Tec sometimes it's just what is in the handgun. I'm not paranoid about being attacked, just careful. Seven rounds should be fine in the Walmart parking lot. But there are additional rounds in the trunk plus the XD-9 sub always in the car side pocket.

I do continually check to make sure the magazine is properly seated in the pistol. Once found the magazine loose, but not missing, in my P7M8. So I always check the magazine when getting out of the car or when possible when getting up from a chair. The loose mag only happened once, but I want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

KarolinaKid[/left];1463]Enough for Jack

Baur

to stop a terrorist attack...

:)

I'm with you on this one KK. Whats the "acceptable" amount of ammo that your average Joe needs to be toting? If he practices clearing failures, then 14 rounds in 1 mag SHOULD be enough for most situations no? Seriously, if 14 is'nt enough, do you think 27 will do it? Maybe, maybe not. 144 will get it though......not in all cases though.

I guess all I can hope for is to have enough firepower to stop the impeding threat, and get the hell out of dodge.

Guest triggertime

I always carry two spare magazines. Why? Not for the ammo capacity, but for the

simple fact that magazines are apt to break and malfunction when you least

expect them to.

Remember, the magazine is vital in order for an autoloading firearm to work as

designed. Without it, you have a single shot. So carry a spare, please.

• Administrator

This past week I put in a backorder with Springfield Armory for two more 10rd compact mags for my XD45C. As soon as they come in, I will carry at least one of them as an extra.

I already have a mag carrier and a few extra mags for my 1911, but unfortunately I am still searching for an IWB holster that I really like for it. May have to get a Tucker "The Answer" before much longer.