Ruger AR-556 at grabagun

• Administrator

That's a good deal.  The bottom has completely fallen out of the black-rifle market thanks to manufacturers betting on the wrong outcome of the 2016 Presidential election.  They overstocked expecting a panic, and no one panicked when it wasn't Hillary that won.

Thank God, but wow it's caused a weird ripple through the firearms industry!  Of course that should make all of us contemplate just how badly we were taking a bath on AR-15 prices for the past 8 years.

• Like 5

Do you suppose the manufacturer, wholesaler and retailer are still making money, or is this just a retailer trying to move inventory? 

Me personally, the later.  I think during this tax return season when people have extra money, we will see all types of crazy advertisements.  To me the real test of the market will be this August and September.  These two months have been the best for me to grab some real gun deals.  Must be the slowest months in the gun industry.

You still get what you pay for though. Was at the range two fridays ago when a guy shows up for his second range day with his brand new Ruger556. He fires one round and the gun does not cycle. He repeats this process about 5 times. When I go over to see if he needs any help I look down at the rifle and the front sight block appears to be canted worse than a WASR 10 and an inch or more further out towards the muzzle than it should be. When we pop the handguards off the receiver end of the gas tube is all the way out of the receiver and laying on the barrel.......doh! One of the fsb retention pins had walked out of the gun and the other was not far from it. He says he has maybe 100 rounds through the gun and has not touched anything up around the fsb. Not to bash Ruger as I have several of their firearms(latest being a RPR) but everyone can make a lemon. Not that it has to be a Noveske or Daniel Defense......though BCM or Spikes are a bargain IMO. As with a lot of things in life, a little extra $$ can make a huge difference.

......that said, I have been looking hard at the new Savage MSR Patrol.........$700ish with a Savage 1:8 twist melonite barrel with a Wylde chamber...of course then I would add a trigger, MFT stock and a Midwest rail.........so it would still be a thousand+ dollar rifle......not to be cliche but buy once cry once.

8 hours ago, Urse said:

You still get what you pay for though. Was at the range two fridays ago when a guy shows up for his second range day with his brand new Ruger556. He fires one round and the gun does not cycle. He repeats this process about 5 times. When I go over to see if he needs any help I look down at the rifle and the front sight block appears to be canted worse than a WASR 10 and an inch or more further out towards the muzzle than it should be. When we pop the handguards off the receiver end of the gas tube is all the way out of the receiver and laying on the barrel.......doh! One of the fsb retention pins had walked out of the gun and the other was not far from it. He says he has maybe 100 rounds through the gun and has not touched anything up around the fsb. ..

Hardly any of that makes any sense.

- this just happened to occur on the very last shot the guy took during first range session?

- gas tube retaining pin is somehow just "gone"?

- there's not much that is more solid than drilled FSB pins

Meaning, methinks somebody tried to "customize" his rifle.

I remember a guy who brought his AR to range one day when me and Dolo were there. Wouldn't fire, meaning, you couldn't pull the trigger. Swears it's brand new, just took it out of the box, hasn't done a thing to it. Oh, well, finally he mentions he did "only" change the pistol grip. Duh, okay, found selector spring up in receiver all snarled into safety/trigger, can't remember where/how the detente was found.

- OS

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Hardly any of that makes any sense.

- this just happened to occur on the very last shot the guy took during first range session?

- gas tube retaining pin is somehow just "gone"?

- there's not much that is more solid than drilled FSB pins

Meaning, methinks somebody tried to "customize" his rifle.

I remember a guy who brought his AR to range one day when me and Dolo were there. Wouldn't fire, meaning, you couldn't pull the trigger. Swears it's brand new, just took it out of the box, hasn't done a thing to it. Oh, well, finally he mentions he did "only" change the pistol grip. Duh, okay, found selector spring up in receiver all snarled into safety/trigger, can't remember where/how the detente was found.

- OS

So, the Ruger FSB is pinned like an A2? A2 blocks are HARD to get off. I have ruined some tools with them. Can't imagine one falling off if they used taper pins, unless they just forgot to drill and pin the gun

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

So, the Ruger FSB is pinned like an A2? A2 blocks are HARD to get off. I have ruined some tools with them. Can't imagine one falling off if they used taper pins, unless they just forgot to drill and pin the gun

Yeah, does use taper pins, and I assume drilled, would have to be for the taper. Only real diff is they are on top of barrel instead of bottom. Certainly never heard of any "walking out". Note gas tube has pin of course also.

Ruger_AR-556_056.JPG

Ruger_AR-556_022.JPG

Edited by Oh Shoot
4 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

Additionally if the FSB was an inch forward of where it was intended and the gas tube was laying on the barrel, wouldn't the handguards have fallen off, as the front retainer is held in place by the FSB?

Looks like a plain ole milspec retainer. Couldn't see it on my phone for some reason.

Edited by mikegideon
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:59 PM, TGO David said:

That's a good deal.  The bottom has completely fallen out of the black-rifle market thanks to manufacturers betting on the wrong outcome of the 2016 Presidential election.  They overstocked expecting a panic, and no one panicked when it wasn't Hillary that won.

Thank God, but wow it's caused a weird ripple through the firearms industry!  Of course that should make all of us contemplate just how badly we were taking a bath on AR-15 prices for the past 8 years.

Yep, a friend in Mo says the gun shop we used to frequent is selling DPMS Ar's for $475 & S&W M&P's for $575.

I wouldn't doubt he's losing $$ or possibly breaking even at those prices.

Ammo prices falling also.

Edited by AuEagle
  • 4 weeks later...

I bought my my AR 556 a couple of years ago for roughly $700 after taxes. My Ruger was the first AR I had ever bought. I had been looking at a DPMS but the person at Sportsman's Warehouse told me to check out the Ruger and that it was a hot seller. I ended up buying it and really like it. It has been a reliable and accurate rifle. I haven't had any issues with mine. Of course any brand can have a few lemons. I think they typically test each rifle before it leaves the factory to pass their QC test but I could be wrong.

I am hoping to see another shot at a $299 AR. Right now you can get ATI and Del-Ton ARs for $399 or so at grabagun all day long. I see all the local guys that were building and flipping ARs scrambling to sell their "cheapest parts I could find" ARs for $500. Some of those guys are gonna get burned for gouging people.

• Like 1