New to me Enfield Ishapore- need input

First, if this is in the wrong forum please feel free to kick it to where it belongs and accept my apologies :(

So I now have a Enfield Ishapore in my possession and need some input. From my inspection the bore is beautiful, all the numbers match including mag, the wood isn't as bad as some I've seen but isn't mint, and the whole thing looks like someone took a rattle can of black to it and it's now flaking off. The entire action appears to be caked with cosmoline. Stamped with a crown, then RIFLE, then 7.62 2A1 R.F.I. 1966. From my research this is a 308 and according to where you look a fairly accurate rifle. So my question is what loads should I seek out to fire out of this rifle ? Everything looks sound but I've been tricked before and having something blow up in your face is not something you want occurring on a regular basis, lol. I really have zero use for it and it will probably be sold or traded down the road but I also don't believe in having something I don't have ammo for. And after seeing chatter about some long distance shots with open sights I'd kinda like to try that. Who knows, maybe it will grow on me and find a permanent home.

Any and all help appreciated.

53 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

the whole thing looks like someone took a rattle can of black to it and it's now flaking off

I think these rifles were originally parkerized.  Prior to a liberal application of cosmoline before storage, a coat of black storage paint was applied to them and that is what you see flaking off.

8 minutes ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

I think these rifles were originally parkerized.  Prior to a liberal application of cosmoline before storage, a coat of black storage paint was applied to them and that is what you see flaking off.

It's like you're right here with me, lol. That's 100% the case then. So what do I do about the paint ? Break it all down and use paint stripper ? Or a less abrasive approach ?

I just did a quick search and there are a lot of varying opinions on the black paint on these rifles so I'm a little bit leery of any recommendations at this point.  I just know I've seen several of these rifles with it but never have seen one cleaned up.

9 minutes ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

I just did a quick search and there are a lot of varying opinions on the black paint on these rifles so I'm a little bit leery of any recommendations at this point.  I just know I've seen several of these rifles with it but never have seen one cleaned up.

Fair enough. Maybe someone on here's took the plunge and will chime in about it.

• Like 1

These are chambered in 7.62 x 51, which is fractionally different physically than commercial .308.  The big concern is the pressure, with .308 potentially being much higher pressure than 7.62. 

As for cleaning it up, I'd clean up the metal and remove what's flaking off the wood, but otherwise not do a whole lot to it. 

Otherwise.... cool rifle. 

I wouldn't fire it until you get the head space checked. The Indians were the only ones to take that receiver design and bump its working pressure by 10 -20 percent with the 7.62 cartridges. Basicaly it was a cheap way to use Nato ammo in guns they were all ready tooled up to make.  Its not unheard of to find a well used 303 SMLE with headspace. That's why the Brits made several bolt heads of varying length to keep head space problems of the lighter 303 in check with a simple bolt head replacement.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:11 PM, peejman said:

These are chambered in 7.62 x 51, which is fractionally different physically than commercial .308.  The big concern is the pressure, with .308 potentially being much higher pressure than 7.62. 

As for cleaning it up, I'd clean up the metal and remove what's flaking off the wood, but otherwise not do a whole lot to it. 

Otherwise.... cool rifle. 

So I should hunt for 7.62 x 51 specifically ? Low power ? The metal has most of the black paint, the wood looks original and not coated.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:47 PM, xtriggerman said:

I wouldn't fire it until you get the head space checked. The Indians were the only ones to take that receiver design and bump its working pressure by 10 -20 percent with the 7.62 cartridges. Basicaly it was a cheap way to use Nato ammo in guns they were all ready tooled up to make.  Its not unheard of to find a well used 303 SMLE with headspace. That's why the Brits made several bolt heads of varying length to keep head space problems of the lighter 303 in check with a simple bolt head replacement.

I will do that. I know there are several TGO members in my neck of the woods that could be persuaded with lunch or a frosty beverage to perform such a task :) 

I have never heard of a Lee-Enfield blowing up.  Its a strong action.  As mentioned, have the headspace checked.

In addition to the Indian 7.62 rifles, the Brits used the lighter No.4 action to make 7.62 target and sniper rifles.

2 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

So I should hunt for 7.62 x 51 specifically ? Low power ? The metal has most of the black paint, the wood looks original and not coated.

I'd get ammo that's specifically 7.61x51 to start with. Cheap bulk .308 like Wolf is probably ok too. I would not use any sort of modern hunting type .308 with muzzle velocity more than 2700 or so. 

• Like 1