NRA Annual Meeting

16 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I am skipping this one.  Access into and out of Atlanta is a nightmare under the best of conditions but the I-85 bridge collapse has succeeded in making it absolutely miserable per good friends who live there.

Dallas next year might actually be a thing for me, though.  I'm really just going to need to watch the industry over the next 8 months and see if it manages to crawl out of the current slump somehow.  Maybe the HPA will gain some traction between now and then.

That, the additional bridge traffic, hadn't really sunk in until I read this from TGO David; but I'd already given a lot of thought to bypassing this one anyway.

I went to the Nashville and Louisville meetings. All the walking just about destroyed me. Bad knees and feet made all that huge walking area darn near impossible for me. I didn't mind the crowds. Not even all the jostling about while trying to get from one both to another deterred me. Even when I'd lose track of where I was in all the strange number and pattern configurations of the booths.

But the lack of sitting space was lethal. An old man like me just can't walk and stand for that duration of time. lol

I would still like to go, but even with all that, and even having family I could stay with for a few days, I think I'll pass this year and let you younger, sturdier guys have it. And I still haven't gotten rid of all the freebie bags, magazines, and other junk I should already have thrown out.

Would I like to go? Yes. But not this time.

Now a little advice for you guys going, if this might be your first time. Carry nothing. No bags, backpacks, or fanny packs. Even personal shoulder bags will be filled very quickly with handouts and the like.

Well...maybe a small fanny pack for a couple of energy bars or the like. All that walking and talking will drain you quickly. Very quickly.

You will get a decent bag to stash your goodies in almost immediately. 

But do go if you can. It's a great time to be had.

It's normal. Mine have always come the last week before the event. I was expecting to have them by today, but even if they don't arrive before I leave for Atlanta, it's no big deal. Just register at the door.

Mine never came last year and I made the deadline for registration

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Both my Nashville and Louisville tickets came just a week before the shows. I was a bit worried, but as has been mentioned; you can check in at the show really easily. And the wait in line was really pretty short and moved quickly.

Just get there as early as you can manage, or just wait an hour or so after opening to avoid the rush.

Caution alert! If you have a phobia about crowds...avoid Saturday. It was killer at both locations for me.

Just got back from a business trip in Atlanta. Stay vigilant while you are there. Someone decided to shatter my driver side truck window so they could steal my first aid kit... A total of 7 cars had windows shattered in the hotel parking lot. This was in mid-town Atlanta at a Courtyard.

The local hotel said Marriott would contact me to take care of things. Well today they did. Only their idea of "taking care of things" was to give me a claim number and say to file a claim with my insurance. While that is Marriott's right, they have signs everywhere saying to leave no valuables, park at own risk, etc., it's my right to choose another hotel from now on. I've probably spent 90 nights in that hotel over the last few years.

Rant over - whew that felt good!

• Like 2
16 hours ago, bubbadavis said:

Just got back from a business trip in Atlanta. Stay vigilant while you are there. Someone decided to shatter my driver side truck window so they could steal my first aid kit... A total of 7 cars had windows shattered in the hotel parking lot. This was in mid-town Atlanta at a Courtyard.

The local hotel said Marriott would contact me to take care of things. Well today they did. Only their idea of "taking care of things" was to give me a claim number and say to file a claim with my insurance. While that is Marriott's right, they have signs everywhere saying to leave no valuables, park at own risk, etc., it's my right to choose another hotel from now on. I've probably spent 90 nights in that hotel over the last few years.

Rant over - whew that felt good!

What happened to you can happen anywhere but sorry about your broken window. I have has several friends get windows broke in Nashville as well. I had a buddy print me some stickers for my Jeep windows that are small but says "Jeep is unlocked please don't break windows. Help yourself to what ever you think you need to steal." So far have not had any broken glass and funny thing is I have not had anything stolen and I do have a high end Stereo in the Jeep and has removeable face but I never remove it. I do a lot of night fishing and Jeep is setting in a parking lot at the lake to sometimes midnight and still nothing is taken.  I guess because i invite them to steal something they probably think it's a trap. Don't know? maybe just been lucky I guess.

• Like 1

Nothing mind blowing innovation wise. I got to handle a lot of stuff you just can't always see in stores. My time at the show was limited, and disorganized because of others I was with. If I can make it next year, I'll be more prepared and less distracted for sure.

Others may have better info for you.

It was a good show. The new Springfield was a letdown in my opinion. Like mentioned above it was great to be able to handle a bunch of guns that are not normally accessable.

Sent from Mandalore Outpost 3

The overall show was much better than Lousiville. Lots more room to move around. Wider aisles, and as bad as Atlanta's traffic is, it was still better than Louisville's in the rain.

I thought this was interesting from Pantheon Arms. Combined with a folding stock from Law Tactical, an AR can be made really stinking small and ready to go in seconds. http://www.opticsplanet.com/pantheon-arms-dolos-take-down-kit-for-ar-15.html

I'd want to know more about it and how it might affect accuracy vs. a normal barrel nut.

Plus the Palmetto State Armory booth is always worth a stop.

Edited by monkeylizard

Was a much better show than last years. We didn't have to deal with traffic. Parked at the airport and rode the rapid transit train that pretty much dropped you at the front door. The family had a great time.

The overall show was much better than Lousiville. Lots more room to move around. Wider aisles, and as bad as Atlanta's traffic is, it was still better than Louisville's in the rain.
I thought this was interesting from Pantheon Arms. Combined with a folding stock from Law Tactical, an AR can be made really stinking small and ready to go in seconds. http://www.opticsplanet.com/pantheon-arms-dolos-take-down-kit-for-ar-15.html
I'd want to know more about it and how it might affect accuracy vs. a normal barrel nut.

Plus the Palmetto State Armory booth is always worth a stop.

Can you give any information about the PSA AKs or anything relating to DDI?

5 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

All of this, it was a much better facility. 

I was glad to see Gray Guns is going to start selling drop in parts to reduce the reset on HK's p-series.   MCX owners might be glad to know that Geissele is developing a SSA variant for the updated bolt carriers. 

On 5/1/2017 at 11:34 AM, shotgunshooter said:

So anyone see anything cool or innovation?

Where would you like to start?

The new M&P feels really great in my hand. Looks like I'm going to have to have at least 1, if not 2 [Pro 5" 9mm and regular length 40 for a house gun]

Talked to the people at Dillon. Started with my condolences on Mikes passing. The man told me that Mike's boys have been slowly taking over for the last 3 years. They knew this was coming and wanted dad to have more time to himself.

Also told them that I felt that their shipping was way too high and that I felt like I was putting one of their kids through school [said a s a joke]. The reply I got was that Shipping was high in Arizona.

Got a chance to fondle Wather's P380. My wife's only complaint carrying an auto loader for concealed carry was that she couldn't rack the slide. She want with me through most of the show and this was the only one she could work.

Got my hands on a Sig MPX while I was there. I wanted one before I got there. As of 2 months ago they have changed some things. I was fairly OK with the sliding stock on the older one. It did feel short and a bit uncomfortable to shoulder. New ones have a folding stock that feels a lot better. Older model had crap for a trigger. that was the first thing I was going to have to change [$200]. New one has a great trigger in it, out of the box. Only thing is now that the wait if over for the bucks, I've got to wait for the new model to get to the retail market.

Got to talk to the folks at Alliant powder. Told them that I was not happy with how dirty their powder was to shoot. They said that it has changed. We'll see, now that I have gaggle of something else.

Saw a lot of familiar faces at the USPSA booth. Told them that I would like to see production go to 15 rounds. I was told that it would cause problems in states like California. Humm, other states with handgun restrictions still get to shoot practical pistol.

Could go on but you should have gone and have another chance next year. Take your favorite lady and take a 4 day vacation. Takes 3 days to see it all. I start when they open the doors and leave about 1-2.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Ray Z said:

Got a chance to fondle Wather's P380. My wife's only complaint carrying an auto loader for concealed carry was that she couldn't rack the slide. She want with me through most of the show and this was the only one she could work.

Have her try it like this... 

https://www.corneredcat.com/article/running-the-gun/rack-the-slide/

It's not a pull, its a whack.  Like smacking a mosquito. 

peejman beat me to it. My wife always had problems racking a slide on everything except her Walther P-22. Once she started using "Method 1" shown on Cornered Cat, she can handle them all....except maybe my new M&P Shield 9....Even I have a hard time with that one. OMG it's a stiff spring!