Shoulder surgerry

Well I've put this off as long as I can. Having surgery this Wed. to repair a partially torn rotator cuff ligament.  Gonna have to wear the arm in a sling for 4 weeks., therapy after that. It's the right shoulder & I'm right handed. Gonna be an experience, LOL.

Brings back the old Army motto, "improvise, adapt, overcome.

Keep your fingers crossed...........

Edited by Grunt67
Said 4 mos. it's 4 weeks, LOL. Think my brain needs work too.

Thanks, guys, for all the kind thoughts. Really appreciate it.

FWIW, tried shooting left handed the other day with a BB pistol. Think I did better than right handed, LOL. So, I'm not out of the fight.

I'll let you know how it goes. Gonna have to pick & peck left handed.....excuse the errors, LOL.

Been there, done that.  Even got the t-shirt for it.  Best advice that anyone gave me was to rent or buy an electric recliner.  I listened, laughed about it but got one anyway.  They didn't lie to me for sure.  For the first several weeks you will probably find it's the most comfortable place you can sleep.  Adjusting an electric one doesn't put any strain on your upper body and they can be stopped in any position. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

Recovering from surgery as we speak. Not to pry but where are you having it done and by who ? 

Tennova surgery center, formerly UMC. Dr. Shawn Mountain ortho surgeon. Lebanon,TN

Wind Hawk has a great suggestion.  My wife is about 5 weeks out post surgey for the same thing.  We looked at power recliners before the surgery but she decided she would be okay without it until about a week after being home.  She had very little pain or discomfort except for trying to get comfortable sleeping.  Since her strong side was compromised and that being her right hand and most all manual recliners have controls on the right side that was a problem.  We now have a new power Lay Z Boy recliner with head and lumbar controls.  I'm gonna love that thing when she gets better.  Hope all goes well and you have a great recovery.

6 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

FWIW, tried shooting left handed the other day with a BB pistol. Think I did better than right handed, LOL. So, I'm not out of the fight.

It's cheaper, just stick with that

• Like 1

I wish you well with your surgery.  I had my right shoulder done three years ago.  Had badly torn rotator cup, detached bicep, all tendons popped and a broken piece of bone the size of a quarter floating around (never figured out where it came from).  You won't be in a sling for four months and then therapy.  You will be in a sling and passive therapy will start quickly.  I am primarily a shotgun shooter.  Surgeon told me after 9 months I could shoot a shotgun off the shoulder.  I decided to wait 12 months.  Have been using the shoulder with good results ever since.

Now it is time to replace two knees.  Getting old is tough.

Good luck with the surgery and do your therapy exercises at home.

Had my left shoulder tear and bone spur removed  the 13 Jan. Took sling off when stitches removed. Doing pt now to get full motion in arm and shoulder. Let mine go for a year and a half before surgery lost a lot of muscle use, pain with the pt now but could not elevate arm enough to shoot long guns. Being an old grunt you will do fine with the pain and surgery. Best of luck.

• Like 1

Good luck with your surgery Grunt67. I had a very similar surgery about 10 years ago. The PT was tough, I'll not lie to you, but it's very important and can't be stressed enough. I got full motion back in my shoulder and made a full recovery and I owe it all to the Physical Therapist I had. She worked my butt off and if I didn't do my home exercises I got a butt chewing....and she was only about 25 or so..LOL. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

Guess my mind is in overload, I posted 4 mos. in the sling, it's 4 weeks. No idea why I did that, LOL. Getting old is

definitely tough.

Whew!  I thought that seemed like an awfully long time.  I hope you have a speedy recovery.

• Like 1