• Admin Team
1 hour ago, dallasb said:

If you are only looking at sub then a 9mm suppressor will do the job. They are typically a little cheaper than a 30cal version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be wary of this.  This may hold true in some cases - but accidentally run a super through it and you'll blow it up.  

• Like 1
I'd be wary of this.  This may hold true in some cases - but accidentally run a super through it and you'll blow it up.  

If he is only shooting subs why would he have supers? They do make 9mm suppressors that can handle 300 magnum pressures, it just adds weight and cost.

• Admin Team
1 hour ago, dallasb said:

If he is only shooting subs why would he have supers? They do make 9mm suppressors that can handle 300 magnum pressures, it just adds weight and cost.

I just like to reduce the risk of things blowing up on me when I shoot.  I *might* always intend to shoot subs - but then a supersonic round sneaks in there - or there's a mixup in a range bag - or whatever.  As a rule, if I can remove the chances of operator error from having disastrous consequences - in any system in my life, I will.

I'm sure there are overbuilt cans that are over-bored and rated for anything you can fit through it.  Like you said, a suppressor rated for 300 win mag is going to be awfully heavy hanging off the end of a pistol.  It's also not going to be as quiet when it's bored for a 9mm round and you're running a smaller diameter .30 cal bullet through it.

YMMV.

• Like 1
I just like to reduce the risk of things blowing up on me when I shoot.  I *might* always intend to shoot subs - but then a supersonic round sneaks in there - or there's a mixup in a range bag - or whatever.  As a rule, if I can remove the chances of operator error from having disastrous consequences - in any system in my life, I will.
I'm sure there are overbuilt cans that are over-bored and rated for anything you can fit through it.  Like you said, a suppressor rated for 300 win mag is going to be awfully heavy hanging off the end of a pistol.  It's also not going to be as quiet when it's bored for a 9mm round and you're running a smaller diameter .30 cal bullet through it.
YMMV.

Absolutely it's a good idea. I went through the same thing when I picked out one for my 300blk. I knew from the start that I would be shooting supersonic at times so decided to get one rated to do both.

• 1 month later...

Just get a Hybrid. Once you purchase, file, and then wait 10+ months you may find that your needs or flavor profile for hunting has changed. At least you will be covered on all fronts with a modular suppressor. It'll cover 99% of what you will ever shoot.